Is the 2012 Jetta really that solid?

• no

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • yes

Votes: 39 59.1%

Is the 2012 Jetta really that solid?

14K views 70 replies 48 participants last post by  RobMarkToo 
#1 ·
When it comes to the solid, tight, bank vault feel, Mercedes has always impressed me. At least they did back in the 70's when my family was in the Benz business. BMW has impressed me at times too, although the 2011 528i I was just in failed to impress when I shut the door on it. That's one of the many reasons why I'm wondering about VW stating how solid their new Jetta is. I can't forget how all the motor magazines stated too how VW decided to do some cost cutting on their latest Jetta.

#48 ·
Did you have it sport or triptonic?

also 2.5l > 2.0t because of sound alone. 2.0t isn't fast enough to overshadow the baby lambo soundtrack.:laugh:
I have tiptronic.... personally I like the sound of the 2.0T better because it sounds like a diesel when idling. 2.5L a baby lambo? That's a new one.
I think he was referring to the faux sound in the GLI equating to being a "baby lambo".

Either way his logic is flawed in that the 2.5L > 2.0T. Last I checked HP, Torque, gearing, 0-60, etc. etc. were superior in the 2.0T but what do I know. VW must be really sneaky to have put the better motor in the lower trim level, all the GLI/GTI owners have been cheated!

That's a new one.
http://cdn.*************.net/instances/400x/20593239.jpg

#57 ·
I think he was referring to the faux sound in the GLI equating to being a "baby lambo".

Either way his logic is flawed in that the 2.5L > 2.0T. Last I checked HP, Torque, gearing, 0-60, etc. etc. were superior in the 2.0T but what do I know. VW must be really sneaky to have put the better motor in the lower trim level, all the GLI/GTI owners have been cheated!

That's a new one.
http://cdn.*************.net/instances/400x/20593239.jpg
Right click save as.:laugh:

Nevar lose! 2.5 fo life

#6 ·
The Jetta posts pop up every few weeks it seems so I'll bite. For the segment it is in the doors are a lot more solid than say a similar Civic, Impreza, Corolla, Sentra, etc.

Oh and :thumbup: for another post allowing me to post a picture of my GLI :beer:

#19 ·
The Jetta posts pop up every few weeks it seems so I'll bite. For the segment it is in the doors are a lot more solid than say a similar Civic, Impreza, Corolla, Sentra, etc.
:thumbup:

Are they Mercedes or BMW quality? Lolz. Not even close. But compared to it's competitors, they do have a more solid "feel" to them I suppose.

#17 · (Edited)
It has some of the cheapest doors I've ever felt. I'm talking 90s Suzuki doors.

Edit: Door cards I mean. Door latches feel much cheaper than the previous generation, but definitely better than a lot out there today. I'd say it feels like the last few generations of Accord when it comes to that. Not terrible, but not nice.

#18 ·
Bodies and latches, VW knows what they are doing and does quality work... including on the Jetta. The Jetta was cost-cut in the interior mainly, and uses a cheaper rear end design (brakes, suspensions etc). The core of the car is still high quality. Same body panel thickness, door latches, weld quality, seal quality etc that result in a good closure.

VW does do a better job then most other car makers at certain things that really improve perceived overall quality.

#29 ·
it's a really cheap, some might say crappy, car. most cheaply built car, in fact, in america, according to some industry wags. not that there's anything wrong with that. many adjectives spring to mind. solid is not one of them. ephemeral? a true consumable.

heavy duty jetta thread with lots of first hand perspectives:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...uying-them-because-they-seem-to-be-everywhere.

:beer::thumbup:

#33 ·
It is important to many people same with the noise the body panels make when you knock on them with your knuckles

I admit I am a vw fan boy
but the previous jetta, the mk5 that we have in the family all the doors have a more solid feel than any of the other japanese competitors, and doing the knock thing, it sounds more solid as well

#34 ·
Whenever my GTI is at the dealer, I get a 2011 Jetta loaner. Lots of wind noise, the non-soft touch plastics don't seem as durable as I expected. Lots of rattles. Drove like ****. Auto tranny sucks. I liked driving the Sentra loaner I had better.

I know VW interiors are generally fragile, but I loved my MKIVs interiors, and the MKVI GTI is nice, but I figured the new Jetta would be more substantial. At least in a Subaru you have a cheap looking interior but you can attack it with a jackhammer and it doesn't break or rattle.

#45 ·
The new Passat has had a rough start. The Jetta is actually looking pretty good, with a few more trips to the shop on average than the Cruze or Elantra for example, but fewer than the Sonata.

#39 · (Edited)
I feel the opposite. Must floor gas in the 2.0T to make fasts. 2.5 makes less fasts, but power is always there. :confused:

I never drive in either automatic modes though. X Box shifting all day.

Also keep in mind that the 2.5 Jetta is just a fancy econo box. It's not intended to be a sports car. It's hard to say that it's inadequate when it competes against cars barely making over 100hp. They're just as "quick" as the old 16v GTI's and stock Corrado G60's.

#54 ·
In regards to actual thread ... I've driven my roomates 2012 Jetta often enough. It feels pretty solid, when compared to my semi-beat Mk4. Yes, the interior uses 'less soft' materials, but it doesn't feel that cheap.

Also, the 2.5l auto has a lot of low end torque.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.