Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. 05-04-2012 01:14 PM #1
      I recently sold my Road Star Warrior, and it was sad to see it ride away. But my body could no longer take the abuse. 3 crushed vertebra and herniated disk and possibly broke my neck a while back and I had major shoulder surgery thank you Air Force. So the search is on for the next motorcycle. Initially I though if a cop rides it, that will work. I will be using it to commute about 30 miles round trip and for drill (Air Force Duty) weekends a 120 mile highway commute.

Here is the skinny of what I am looking for. Cruiser or tourer does not hurt my feelings.
      $7000 MAX I would prefer closer to $6k.
      Neutral Ride Position- I want to sit generally upright.
      Power- something similar to the output of the RSW.
      2 up- must accommodate my loving wife.
      Must be fuel injected.
      I would prefer bags and or top box option.
      I need wind protection for highway riding.

First ideas: FJR, ST1300 or maybe K1200gt but difficult to find at my price. I also thought about the Stratoliner, or Road Star 1700 but I'm not sure they are FI. The VFR800 just misses, to much weight on my hands (helibars?) not sure about the 2 up riding. I am open to dual purpose too. Let's see what you have in mind.

Ignore the ZZR.
      Last edited by URSledgehammer; 05-04-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Cars
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      05-04-2012 03:34 PM #2
      Can you get a VMaxx at that price? Checks the boxes.

3. Senior Member
      05-04-2012 05:56 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by URSledgehammer View Post
      The VFR800 just misses, to much weight on my hands (helibars?) not sure about the 2 up riding.
      My next bike will be a sport tourer, a full on touring bike is too much bulk for my taste. So, I say, if you are loading your hands/wrists with the slightly aggressive riding position of the VFR that you try repositioning your body. More weight on the pegs, grip the tank with your knees, no weight should be on your hands, have a very light grip on the bars. Anyone complaining about wrists/hands hurting is doing it wrong IMO. I'm 6'1, built like an out of shape grizzily, and ride a tiny 600 sport bike and have no issues with my wrists/hands at all.

FTR I want a VFR or Sprint.... or BMW somethingerother... or or or
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

James May claims that he knows when he is driving a car with character and panache because a fizzing sensation engulfs the root of his penis. -Clarkson

Cars
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      05-04-2012 06:31 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      My next bike will be a sport tourer, a full on touring bike is too much bulk for my taste. So, I say, if you are loading your hands/wrists with the slightly aggressive riding position of the VFR that you try repositioning your body. More weight on the pegs, grip the tank with your knees, no weight should be on your hands, have a very light grip on the bars. Anyone complaining about wrists/hands hurting is doing it wrong IMO. I'm 6'1, built like an out of shape grizzily, and ride a tiny 600 sport bike and have no issues with my wrists/hands at all.

FTR I want a VFR or Sprint.... or BMW somethingerother... or or or
      Also due you back injuries etc. you can buy risers for the VFR and a high seat to be more upright.

Cars
      335i | zx6r
      05-04-2012 07:40 PM #5
      St1300

6. Member
      Cars
      2013 Ford Focus ST3, 2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT Limited 5-speed, 2004 BMW R1150R
      05-04-2012 11:11 PM #6
      My thought is you likely don't want a bike that puts you in too upright a riding position -- when your spine is upright, road impacts go directly up and through your spine. A slightly forward-canted riding position will turn your hips into a pivot point so the force doesn't go into your spine.

I'm going to go ahead and recommend the bike I own: a BMW R1150R.

It's an excellent jack-of-all-trades bike -- very good at lots of things, excellent at none. It will get more than 40 miles per gallon (on mid-grade gas), excellent factory hard bags are available, and it's not hard to put a top box on it. It's comfortable and powerful enough for two-up riding, and a whole bunch of windscreens are available from a small sport screen to a large touring screen. Heated grips are standard; ABS is available.

Easily available for under $7k.

Here's mine, showing the slightly forward riding postiion:

Cars
      '00 XJ, '08 N* SRX4 (hers), '70 Beetle (rusty and parked)
      05-05-2012 12:37 AM #7

Must be fuel injected.
      Why?

8. Member
      Cars
      2009 VW Jetta SportWagen SEL, 2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, 1978 Honda Hawk CB400
      05-05-2012 07:26 AM #8
      Have you considered an "adventure" tourer? Masively upright ergos. Decent performance. 2-up compatible.

I put adventure in quotes because many of these things aren't that different than ST bikes. Especially if you slap some sport touring rubber on them.

The BMW R1150/1200GS have been out there for a while, probably long enough for an example or two to fall to your price point.
      The Suzuki V-Strom (I ride a DL650) has too. Easily in your price point.

Triumph and Yamaha have > 1L versions that you might like. Unfortunately they are new and way ahead of your budget.

In my experience finding a clean FRJ or ST1300 at your price point is a tall order. I looked last summer myself.

9. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Cars
      2013 Taco TRD, 10 E70 3.0 Sport, '96 VR Fabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      05-05-2012 04:13 PM #9
      OP I am sorry about your injuries but thank you for serving. Where are you located please?

10. 05-05-2012 06:41 PM #10
      Guys thanks for your inputs keep them coming. Let me see if I can address some of your inputs which have been great.

I may ride a little heavy on my hands due to being long torso'd and short armed. I did find my Monster S4R very comfy. But I liked your thoughts about being too upright, make great sense.

I do not want a carbed bike for a bunch of reasons, I will just leave it at maintenance.

I LOVE the Max, just a little to cramped for 2-up and I do not really need the hooligan bike.

I do not know much about adventure bikes but have been intrigued, that new Tiger is awesome. I will look into the 1150GS. I missed on an R1150RT by 2 days.

The DL1000 may fit the bill, yet to ever ride one. I will look into it.

The VFR is rising on the list again, they are easy to find and fairly cheap. I did stumbled across the BMW F800RT, and I find it interesting(not that I will find one).

I see no love for the cruiser, and I kind of feel the same way. The Warrior was a special ride, and I can't imagine any other cruiser cornering like it.

I am located in 19962 Dover Delaware. Thank you for the thank you. 5 more years and I retire.

Last edited by URSledgehammer; 05-05-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Cars
      Platinum Grey GLI on jackstands / 2004 Jetta TDI on CCW's
      05-05-2012 08:54 PM #11
      Have you looked into Kawasaki Concours 14? another good option is the Triumph Sprint ST. My friend and his dad have both these bikes... they love them

Cars
      Platinum Grey GLI on jackstands / 2004 Jetta TDI on CCW's
      05-05-2012 08:55 PM #12
      Just noticed you're in Delaware

13. Member
      Cars
      05-05-2012 08:56 PM #13
      The odd thing about the Suzuki V-Strom is the DL1000 doesn't exactly spank, spec wise. I never rode one, but comparing specs I decided the 650 would do. But then I never ride 2-up. Also you can't get the 1000 with ABS. A very late model (current model year, actually) 650 ABS popped up locally and I jumped on it.

I am resisting going down to my local Triumph dealer. They have a Tiger 800 loaner and I am convinced I'd love it. But they haven't been around long enough to be on the used market and are waaaaay outside my budget new.

Guy I occasionally ride with supposedly picked up his new Explorer 1200 today. I am anxious to see it up close.

I also hear glowing things about the Yami Super Tenere; especially the traction control electronics.

Cars
      AWD Wagon-ish thing
      05-06-2012 12:31 PM #14
      Have you considered a Moto Guzzi Norge or Stelvio? Next month I'm picking up a Stelvio and can't wait.

Short-leg, long-arm friendly (just like older Italian cars). Dead reliable from nearly all accounts I've read, for engine, drive (shaft), and electrics. Sexy air & oil cooled 90-degree v-twin sticking out both sides, and near orgasm-inducing sound. Both have options for luggage. Maintenance is reportedly simple, in part due to the heads sticking out the sides...lone exception being early Norges that had a ridiculously small space for adding/checking/changing the oil unless you remove body panels...at least that's what I remember from looking around at Norges before deciding on a Stelvio. Because they're not common, used prices are low, but if you intend to keep the bike for a while, that shouldn't be a big deal...the original owner will have already taken the huge depreciation hit. As with pretty much anything, I'd look for a 2nd-year and later model, to avoid any first-year bugs that may not have been addressed by the original owner under warranty.

They're not sportbikes by any stretch of the imagination (550-ish pounds and 105-ish hp), and they're not loaded with the latest technology. But you definitely won't see yourself coming and going, and from everything I've read they keep going for a long time.

Also, for checking how you think you'd fit without actually sitting on a bunch of bikes, google "cycle ergos" and that should take you to a site that lets you plug in your height and inseam, choose a bike, and see how you'd sit on it.
      soldierguy

AWD wagon-ish thing

15. 05-08-2012 05:29 AM #15
      Looks like I have narrowed my search to two bikes. 03 FJR1300 and a 07 VStrom 1000. I go look at the FJR this Saturday.

16. Member
      Cars
      05-08-2012 08:42 AM #16
      DL650 is off the radar?

DL650 64 HP @ 8500 48 lbsft @ 7400
      DL1000 85.6 HP @ 7400 63 lbsft @ 5000
      Last edited by nhbubba; 05-08-2012 at 08:44 AM.

17. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Cars
      2013 Taco TRD, 10 E70 3.0 Sport, '96 VR Fabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      05-08-2012 01:29 PM #17
      Looks like I have narrowed my search to two bikes. 03 FJR1300 and a 07 VStrom 1000. I go look at the FJR this Saturday.
      I have friends with both and having ridden them they are really very different from one another.

The FJR has a slightly more forward leaning stance which could be fixed for your back by using bar risers. The wind protection is fantastic but the earlier bikes have lots of heat channeled up through the bodywork and onto the rider. That is great in the late fall but not so much in humid Delaware summers.

The VStrom is a great bike overall but the wind protection is a bit less covering for the rider and passenger. The V-twin bike is very torquey and makes nice noises with the right exhaust system. They aren't as capable in the corners but with the right tire combination you could use the VStrom on fire trails and light gravel without too much of a worry about hurting it.

Both are very good at commuting and with the right farkles can do a multitude of good things and both have a strong aftermarket. My gut says that you could buy a newer VStrom with less miles than the FJR based upon what I see out here in the west.

18. 05-08-2012 06:47 PM #18
      I have heard about the heat issue on the FJR, just came of a big air cooled twin. I know heat. I am really intrigued by that DL1000, and I can now through a R1150RT on the list. I found a few Bimmers near by in my range. If I can find a solid Strom with many less miles I would lean that way slightly but most I have found are up near 20k miles, the FJR has 25k and I see too many with 50-100k. I still think 2 up the FJR is hard to beat.

Hey guys talk me out of the FJR, you got until Saturday when I drive to Reading PA, if he gets the valve check done.
      Last edited by URSledgehammer; 05-08-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Cars
      '07 3 Hatch, '14 Cherokee Limited, '02 954 Fireblade
      05-09-2012 07:08 AM #19
      Nothing wrong at all with the FJR. I prefer the aforementioned C14 over it, I think its a more well sorted bike, but you really can't go wrong with the Yamaha.

20. Member
      Cars
      05-09-2012 08:54 AM #20
      In my view the FJR is too big, too heavy, too thirsty, and too expensive. It's basically just too much motorcycle for me to live with everyday. And I bet they eat rear tires like my Bandit 1200 did.

As with any opinion, YMMV.

I am actually a little surprised to hear of FJR 1300's in your price range. I thought they were all still worth considerably more than that.

21. 05-09-2012 05:58 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

I am actually a little surprised to hear of FJR 1300's in your price range. I thought they were all still worth considerably more than that.
      Yep NADA prices most 1st Gen's around $5-7K

22. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Cars
      05-09-2012 06:27 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboWraith View Post
      Nothing wrong at all with the FJR. I prefer the aforementioned C14 over it, I think its a more well sorted bike, but you really can't go wrong with the Yamaha.
      I think the thing that I have observed and also read about the FJR vs. C14 debate is that if you are going to be hauling a passenger the FJR is quite a bit more comfy for your pillion. I am sure that much of that could be solved with the right seats and footpegs but it is worth a comparison and a wifely opinion.

Yep NADA prices most 1st Gen's around $5-7K
      I see that too; one of my buddies just recently bought a 2006 FJR auto clutch with 25k on it from a dealership for about $7k out the door. I still see the C14 bringing $7k or more but it seems like price compression is forcing the 2008 models downward a bit.

A friend of mine is a local motorcycle cop and says that if you can swing the extra cheddah for a 2010+ model the aerodynamic and heat issues are very well addressed with those newer model bikes.

23. 05-09-2012 07:05 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul@VWvortex View Post

A friend of mine is a local motorcycle cop and says that if you can swing the extra cheddah for a 2010+ model the aerodynamic and heat issues are very well addressed with those newer model bikes.
      I wish I could. It would be a done deal then. I am so open on a bike right now because this is really a 18 month deal. Something to last the next 2 seasons and then new FJR.
      While I agree the Connie is an outstanding bike I believe the long tooth FJR still has it beat in every category except for that power plant.
      I will continue to look but will make a move by next Saturday(I hope) be it FJR, R1150RT, V-Strom now kinda in that order. The ST1300 is out, the prices just have not come down. Although a V4 on boil is intoxicating.

UPDATE*

It looks like this FJR deal may fall through. He has no records and did not accomplish the valve check at 25k miles. He was willing to do it but said he has other buyers lined up. I told him to sell it to another, or get the valve check and Ill fork over the cash.
      Last edited by URSledgehammer; 05-09-2012 at 07:08 PM.

24. Member
      Cars
      05-09-2012 07:33 PM #24
      While I agree the Connie is an outstanding bike I believe the long tooth FJR still has it beat in every category except for that power plant.
      I agree. The FJR is a lot more appealing, IMO. I hear the C14 guzzles that go juice. I hate stopping for fuel.

It's a good looking bike in person too.

I had my heart set on an ST1300 too. Then I read up on what it takes to check the valve lash.

That said, I've moved on to dreaming of dragging home an older VFR750. .. As a second/project bike that is.

25. Member
      Cars
      some cars, some bikes...
      05-10-2012 08:08 PM #25
      I sold my 09 Sprint ST for about your budget, with 10k miles on it.

Solid and reliable bike, fun to ride.

The ergos didn't work for me though. I can't do anything less than fully upright, basically.

26. 05-13-2012 10:54 PM #26
      I have missed and passed on a bunch or rides, and now back to the original. Missed on a FJR, ST11, 2 VStroms (1 guy was crazy) passed on an 03 VFR with less than 2k. Every thing seems at a stand still again. Wow I did not think finding a bike would be this hard with $6k in my pocket.

27. Member
      Cars
      05-14-2012 11:20 AM #27
      I don't know how it is 'round where you are. But up my way I plan on it being a sellers' market until at least sometime in July. It's a buyer's dream come Oct/Nov when the snow starts to fly and people realize they have to store these things for another winter.

I started my search for a new bike right about this time last year. I had a 'max' budget of $5k. The last week of June I was sick and tired of being too late for the good deals or right on time for the overpriced wrecks. I jumped on a much nicer, much newer, better equipped bike than I had anticipated for a healthy amount more than I had planned.

"Eff it, life is short, it's only money." I said. Patience, not my strongest virtue. I wish you better luck there.

2 VStroms (1 guy was crazy)
      (Looks in garage.) It happens.

28. 05-14-2012 05:54 PM #28
      ^^

Yeah this guy was asking if I ever lived in the area... I asked him about maintenance records and a few other general questions and he replied "its grey" as in the color of the bike. It was even more than this he kept calling me Ed in Emails when my name is Eric. So crazy man keep your bike.

29. Member
      Cars
      05-14-2012 11:06 PM #29
      At least mine's black.

GL man, you'll find the right one...

30. 05-22-2012 02:38 PM #30
      Just located a 07 DL1000 Vstrom for $5800 w/7500 miles. I am going to test ride on Friday. I really want a Touring bike but this seems like a good deal. Anyone ever gone from ST to VStrom.
      ANy quirks I need to know about.

Cars
      TT // 919
      05-22-2012 02:58 PM #31
      The new Honda NC700X has an MSRP of $7K (for the base non-ABS, non-DCT model)... could be an interesting choice. The fuel tank is under the seat so there's storage in front of the rider.

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700x.aspx
      I like things with two wheels and things with four wheels.

Squished Beetle | Fake Ducati

Cars
      05-22-2012 06:28 PM #32
      Did you notice the 6,500 rpm redline on that one?

I guess maybe I'm stuck in the past or something, but the DCT concept on this doesn't appeal to me.

33. Member
      Cars
      05-23-2012 07:08 AM #33
      ANy quirks I need to know about.
      My read of the DL1000 is that by '07 they had most of the kinks ironed out. Early ones had fueling issues I gather.

Don't expect the world. The Suzuki is a value bike and equipped as much. But the price is right, IMO.

The biggest shortcomings are probably the suspension and charging systems. Suspension is a relatively straight forward fix. Although the DL1k forks are better from the start than my DL650's. I believe the charging thing is only a problem if you go heavy on the accessories.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by matches View Post
      The new Honda NC700X...
      That bike is another example of me not understanding WTF Honda is doing these days.

About the only thing I can get down with is the price tag. But I think I'd gladly pay more for a Versys or V-Strom 650. Driving around a motorcycle with a cut-down Fit engine isn't really what I signed up for when I got my motorcycle endorsement.

I have crossed paths with someone that is looking to buy one of those as a 2nd motorcycle because of the economics. Low buy in cost + reasonably high mileage. But it's a local commuter, kinda like a glorified scooter.

Personally I can't give up quite that much performance. And you're talking to a guy that rides a bike that makes ~60HP at the crank.

God willing I will never buy a motorcycle with an automatic transmission. I don't give a damn what TLA they use to describe it.
      Last edited by nhbubba; 05-23-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Cars
      05-23-2012 07:55 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
      That bike is another example of me not understanding WTF Honda is doing these days.
      Your comment immediately brought to mind the DN01. (I've never seen one of those on the road, btw...how many did they sell? 5?)

35. Member
      Cars
      05-23-2012 06:32 PM #35
      DN-01: Just . I mean straight up (Then again, don't look too closely at the Victory Vision. )

VFR1200: Nice, but not the bike anyone was really asking for. I heard it described as "over-engineered and over-thought"

Crossrunner: Oops, we had a nice bike in the VFR800, but it was expensive as balls, maybe people will buy it again if we call it an adventure bike

NC700x: Their own marketing guys rave about how it saves Honda money by using a cut down Fit engine. Practically no new tooling! That's what I want to tell my buddys: "This bike saved Honda money! Woo hoo!"

NT700v: Underwhelming performance. Huge price tag. Dash ripped right out of a 1983 Civic. I hear it was actually marketed as a "Goldwing for her" in some areas

Don't get me wrong. I started on a Honda CB400. Honda motorcycles still hold a special place in my heart. And I have a raging hard-on for a gen3, 4, or 5 VFR. Hoping to drag one home as a 2nd bike/project next fall.

But man, what a string of duds!!!

I'm not much on Honda automobiles lately either. For a company that used to be way out ahead, they sure are 'meh' these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast