Fourtitude.com

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1. Member
      Cars
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      04-16-2012 10:54 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Brett92 View Post
      What did you dislike about it? Was it the engine? -because the Ecotec isn't going to be as smooth as a Honda engine.
      It certainly wasn't. The 6 speed also doesn't shift as smoothly as the acura 5 speed.

Its a decent car, no argument there. But there's too much talk comparing it to the tsx, IMO. Especially if they really think they're going to get japanese loyalists like my wife to convert.

She's going to put a lot of miles on the car by the time it's paid off. And you can't beat the money you can get for high mileage acuras when it comes time to sell.
      Last edited by MAC; 04-16-2012 at 10:58 AM.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Cars
      5.7, 5.3 & 5.0
      04-16-2012 10:56 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      She didn't even want to drive the Verano after seeing the fake hood vents and sitting in the interior for a minute, but the salesman insisted. She glanced at the regal and said no.
      I have a feeling that your wife wasn't really ready to consider a Buick.
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD | 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 | 2000 Four Winns H180LS

RareSportBikesForSale.com | CarCast | German Cars For Sale Blog

3. Member
      Cars
      Oddie.
      04-16-2012 11:00 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by SuperFly_Mofo View Post

becomes:

Yet when GM does the same exact thing (Cruze---->Verano), it's "zomg typical old-style GM fail" or "DIW"
      Well for one thing, the A3 came before all the other platform-mates.

But setting timing aside, the Golf and A3 are drastically different -- different engines, no shared body panels, no shared interior trim or switchgear, very few shared engine/transmission components, built in different factories. In fact the only things that are similar (but not identical) are the floorplans and some electrical stuff.

It's no badge job.

It's kind of the same with the Cruze and Verano. There are some identical components (which is sensible because engineering a platform is monstrously expensive these days), but they are for the most part completely different vehicles.

Cars
      F14 Tomcat
      04-16-2012 11:03 AM #39
      She didn't even want to drive the Verano after seeing the fake hood vents and sitting in the interior for a minute, but the salesman insisted. She glanced at the regal and said no.

Yeah, the verano with the leather package would have gone out the door for a few grand less than the tsx, but the interior atmosphere and quality just isn't on par with the acura. We felt that the acura feels like a good value for its $30k msrp while the buick felt like a tarted up $20k car - much like when you take a camry and transform it into the xle trim. 1.9% for 60 months on the acura was the icing on the cake.
      Funny that you guys felt that way seeing as the TSX is just as much a tarted up $20k car as the Verano.

Anyway, I doubt you guys would have been swayed by the Regal, but a Regal 2.0T was the right comparison to the base TSX. Their base prices are within a couple hundred dollars.
      Last edited by curvedinfinity; 04-16-2012 at 11:05 AM.
      Contributor at http://becarchic.com and http://speedsportlife.com
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

5. Member
      Cars
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      04-16-2012 11:05 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      I have a feeling that your wife wasn't really ready to consider a Buick.
      She actually watched and paid close attention to the review on the autoweek tv show. She did consider it, but its obvious in that small market segment (entry luxury with a fuel efficient 4 cylinder), that acura made a car built to a standard while gm made a car built to a price.

We also liked the key-specific memory settings for driver 1 and driver 2 on the tsx. The base stereo is also better than the bose upgrade in the buick.

6. 04-16-2012 11:22 AM #41
      She didn't even want to drive the Verano after seeing the fake hood vents
      Yeah, I don't like those either. I know Buicks have had them for years, but would like to see that design detail go away.

It certainly wasn't. The 6 speed also doesn't shift as smoothly as the acura 5 speed.
      I've heard mixes things about the 6 speed. I considered the Cruze but a lot of the reviews highlighted the poor performance of the transmission. I just assumed they had ironed out the problems by the time of the Verano launch. That's sad to hear.

How would you rate the quietness of the car? All the reviewers rave about the lack of road/wind/engine noise. Would you say it's quieter than your TSX?

7. Member
      Cars
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      04-16-2012 11:28 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by curvedinfinity View Post
      Funny that you guys felt that way seeing as the TSX is just as much a tarted up $20k car as the Verano.
      I hear ya. But explaining to my wife that the car is the japan accord is pointless. She just knows the US accord and thinks thats more of an old persons car than any current buick. She would have taken the verano all day over an accord EXL. Me too.

8. Member
      Cars
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      04-16-2012 11:31 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Brett92 View Post
      All the reviewers rave about the lack of road/wind/engine noise. Would you say it's quieter than your TSX?
      I thought that was one area where they were very close. There was a little more "crash" over road joints with the 18s on the buick. Either one is a huge step up from the corolla she's been commuting in for 3 years (which is now my daily ).

Cars
      2005 Pontiac GTO M6
      04-16-2012 12:28 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by warren_s View Post
      Well for one thing, the A3 came before all the other platform-mates.

But setting timing aside, the Golf and A3 are drastically different -- different engines, no shared body panels, no shared interior trim or switchgear, very few shared engine/transmission components, built in different factories. In fact the only things that are similar (but not identical) are the floorplans and some electrical stuff.

It's no badge job.

It's kind of the same with the Cruze and Verano. There are some identical components (which is sensible because engineering a platform is monstrously expensive these days), but they are for the most part completely different vehicles.
      That's the point I was making. Their low-cost volume model shares it's architecture with their more premium offering for their more upscale brand. Nothing more. VAG does it, as do several other automakers. Yet when GM does this, it's some sort of indication they're reverting to their former mediocrity.

Cars
      2013 Range Rover Evoque
      04-16-2012 12:39 PM #45
      acura made a car built to a standard while gm made a car built to a price.
      Strange that Acura is going the completely opposite direction with the IXL and getting rid of the TSX. I can imagine a few TSX owners are going to be unhappy going back to a showroom in 2 years and finding that they have to settle for an obviously cheaper car or have to fork over an extra couple of grand to get a TL.

11. Member
      Cars
      1957 Testa Rossa
      04-16-2012 01:18 PM #46
      ... but the interior atmosphere and quality just isn't on par with the acura. We felt that the acura feels like a good value for its $30k msrp while the buick felt like a tarted up $20k car - much like when you take a camry and transform it into the xle trim. .
      I know to each his own, but WTF?

1) Sorry, but that Verano is plenty nice inside and plenty up to par. At least on a material spec basis.
      2) Like the Acura is a tarted up Accord?

12. Member
      Cars
      1957 Testa Rossa
      04-16-2012 01:21 PM #47
      In the end. You know the drill...

MAKE THE WOMAN HAPPY. And you will be happy.

13. Member
      Cars
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      04-16-2012 02:10 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho View Post
      2) Like the Acura is a tarted up Accord?
      You're taking this too literally. #1 - The japan accord/tsx is so much different than a US accord. From styling to tuning to sound deadening. #2 - When you get in a TSX and get then into a top of the line accord exl, it's obvious that one was designed to be all inclusive, so to speak, and the other was designed to accommodate several trim levels and price points.

And I don't agree that the materials and finishing in the verano is equal to the tsx. I'd say it's closer to accord exl.

I don't even know who started it, us... the press... gm themselves, but it appears the verano and tsx are put against each other because they are both sportier than the camry/accord/sonata/altima. But IMO the buyers they are going to steal are the ones that are looking at the upper trim models of those 4. At least the ones who aren't as focused on rear seat room or trunk volume...

Quote Originally Posted by uncleho View Post
      In the end. You know the drill...

MAKE THE WOMAN HAPPY. And you will be happy.
      Yes, It has been paying off. She's still in shock i agreed to give up my mazda so we could do this without having 2 payments at the same time.

Cars
      5.7, 5.3 & 5.0
      04-16-2012 02:35 PM #49
      I think the TSX and Regal Turbo are competing more with each other than the TSX and Verano. They are closer in size, price, etc.

I cannot think of any direct competition for the Verano in size, price, features, etc.

From a previous thread...sorry, I did not make one to include the Verano...

PS: As I have been reminded many times - "Happy wife, happy life"
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD | 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 | 2000 Four Winns H180LS

RareSportBikesForSale.com | CarCast | German Cars For Sale Blog

15. Member
      Cars
      1957 Testa Rossa
      04-16-2012 02:39 PM #50
      Actually there is a lot of "tuning" differences between a Cruze and a Verano in terms of NVH. Heck... there is so much difference that the damn wipers design is different! The powertrain is different, too... including the transmission variant of the smaller 6T family (aka GF6).

When you leave it up to Germans... you know you're going to end up with a product that has to be discernably different than its American sister version.

I think consumers TODAY (like your wife) are lucky as hell in markets like our's, because we are spoiled with some of the best products around. As an educated "enthusiast" I dare say most of us would agree that the domestics today have some seriously impressive product alternatives. There's no chance in hell anyone of us (including myself, who is an employee of Detroit, Inc.) would have said that just 5 years ago!

And whoever thinks (including GM) a Verano is on the same class as a TSX is idiotic. They're a full class size different, which generally means something better be better for the next size up. But even with that in mind... the amount of content/feature/performance/material overlaps so much TODAY from class to immediate class up that it isn't funny. You'd have to be the biggest dash stroker on Earth to not find them incredibly close. Especially if you're old enough to just remember merely 5 years ago.

Happy shopping and post her review once you get whatever!

Cars
      F14 Tomcat
      04-16-2012 03:06 PM #51
      I think interior quality is one of those things where perception is far more important than reality. Cadillac is a great example. I remember hearing some engineer doing verbal facepalms over how the interior of the 2nd gen CTS was received as "low quality" by some critics, when he knew the CTS's materials were very high quality -- higher than BMW for instance.

Overall, I think the Verano has a great interior design, and I have the feeling for the price ($23k) it has the highest grade materials out of any car sold in the US right now. The only cars I can think of that might come close are some mid size sedans or other compact cars, but even though they may have very good interior designs, I have the feeling they don't have the same caliber of material quality.
      Last edited by curvedinfinity; 04-16-2012 at 03:08 PM.
      Contributor at http://becarchic.com and http://speedsportlife.com
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12