Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2008 A3 2.0T DSG
      04-15-2012 11:54 AM #1
      I think I remember seeing a kit that uses different caliper mounting brackets that allow for larger rotors, but can't seem to find it.

Anyone know of such a product? Thx.

Chill

2. 04-15-2012 12:09 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr Chill View Post
      I think I remember seeing a kit that uses different caliper mounting brackets that allow for larger rotors, but can't seem to find it.

Anyone know of such a product? Thx.

Chill
      Yes, but it's expensive and sucks.

http://stasisengineering.com/product...3-touring-2006

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...=1#post7421858

Dave

Cars
      2008 A3 2.0T DSG
      04-15-2012 04:15 PM #3
      It's avilable for $950 online which isn't too bad considering they are Alcon 345mm 2 piece rotors.

Why do you think it sucks other than price?
      2012 S4 DSG
      2014 S6
      2012 MB C63 Coupe

4. 04-15-2012 05:52 PM #4
      It's avilable for $950 online which isn't too bad considering they are Alcon 345mm 2 piece rotors.

Why do you think it sucks other than price?
      1) it cracks
      2) it's 26mm thick
      3) you can buy the OEM S3 front brake kit with calipers and rotors for right around the same price
      4) doesn't address caliper stiffness & increases flex in the system by introducing an adapter

I really don't know why you would want to keep the factory calipers. There's hardly anything good about them.

Dave

Cars
      2008 A3 2.0T DSG
      04-16-2012 09:58 AM #5
      Stock calipers are adequate for street use and added flex shouldn't be an issue. Cracking however is a big issue. I saw the pics posted in the other thread and am shocked. I have never seen a rotor deteriorate like this without extended periods on the track. I wonder if the rotors are cheap knockoffs. Coleman rotor rings are high quality, so I don't think they are Coleman.

Main reason for the upgrade is for looks anyway with the added bonus of better stopping power.

6. 04-16-2012 10:57 AM #6
      Stock calipers are adequate for street use and added flex shouldn't be an issue. Cracking however is a big issue. I saw the pics posted in the other thread and am shocked. I have never seen a rotor deteriorate like this without extended periods on the track. I wonder if the rotors are cheap knockoffs. Coleman rotor rings are high quality, so I don't think they are Coleman.

Main reason for the upgrade is for looks anyway with the added bonus of better stopping power.
      Coleman rings actually aren't that high quality. There are several companies that use Coleman for their house-branded BBKs and a few of them include "not for track use" warnings.

If you look on forums for other brands, you'll see that coleman rotors have cracking issues as well (iirc, several porsche boards using them as 993 turbo replacements)

Nevertheless, if you're looking for larger rotor size, I still think this is a better upgrade.
      http://www.dbcperformance.com/DBC_ST...tg3.mk5345.htm

And you can source the parts individually for cheaper:
      http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112307

I think the part numbers for the non-blue front calipers are in that thread somewhere and IIRC it was $150-200 cheaper than the r32 blue fronts.

Dave