VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

new member - TT RS owners please help

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  ati2ud 
#1 ·
hey everyone,

currently deployed in Afghanistan (military contractor) getting ready to come back home. Been flip flopping back and forth on vehicles for a month or so, and finally have given my money to militarysales for a TT RS. I have about 3 weeks or less to make any changes, currently a 2012 with tech pack/heated seats/sport exhaust. I am starting to wonder about the tech package however. as im not sure what im paying for. Tech pack on audiusa: Adaptive xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running light technology, Audi Navigation plus with real-time traffic, BOSE® sound system with 12 speakers and AudioPilot® noise-compensation, Audi music interface with iPod® integration, parking system with rear sensors, and ambient LED lighting - standard equip list xenon plus headlights, auto range adjustment, and LED running lights, so what is different?
- standard equip lists light styling package, what does that refer to if ambient interior lighting is something else.
I think I must not understand what all it is because to me it seems like im mostly paying 3500 for bose w/nav, and if thats the case I think there are more choices out there? am I way off on this?
thanks everyone for any help,
drew

See less See more
#2 ·
You're right, it's a high price and you don't seem to get much. But most of us bought it and, personally, I think it's worth it. I really dislike the way aftermarket units look in a car. I prefer OEM when I can get it. In any case, here's what I think you get:

Nav
Bose
Rear Parking Sensors
LED Interior Lighting
HID Headlights that turn left and right w/ steering? I think?

I really like all of these features in my car. I'm glad I bought the tech package. But, to each their own. You can certainly mod the car afterward if you wish and save a few bucks. But you won't get the sensors or the headlights.

One thing to note, however, is that Audi stopped production on the 2012's back in November or so. You'll be placing a pre-order for a 2013 model now because they're not officially accepting orders for (nor building) 2013's until a couple of months from now. You'll then have a pretty long wait due to the allocation system kind of sucking for Military Sales. I'm also a DoD contractor and I ordered my car through Military Sales in June. I took delivery in January. Every situation is different, but you probably won't see your car until September or so.

- Jeremy -

#3 ·
Thanks Jeremy,

hmmmm, my sheet says MY2012, expected delivery 20 weeks. I actually wouldnt mind a 2013, I dont have the actual build start form like I recieved last time I ordered a vehicle this way, but all of the other paperwork says 2012.

I think I could get better sound taylored to me and of course a backup camera so I wouldnt miss the sensors, your right it maybe wouldnt be as tight and clean in the dash as stock. I am really confused with the lighting though, especially the headlights. It seems the same? very confusingly worded on the website, and of course no pictures. And the LED ambient stuff? what is that just some footwell lights or is it really something that add to the interior?

#5 ·
And the LED ambient stuff? what is that just some footwell lights or is it really something that add to the interior?
Funny you should mention that. One thing that's blatantly missing from the LED pack is footwell lighting. But I've never driven another TT in the dark, so I don't know what it should look like. The car seems a little dark to me, even with LED lighting. But I like them, either way.

Where are you moving back to?

- Jeremy -

#7 ·
That's where they are in the TT RS. I felt the same way when ordering but ultimately decided to go with it for the adaptive headlights. Rarely use the domes but I do appreciate the under door lighting. The backup sensors are alright. The nav is nicely integrated and actually has a 3/4 view (not like the new one though). BUT, no touchscreen and no ability to play certain file types thru SD, and that really sucks. Hope you find that helpful. And yes, get home soon and enjoy this car.

#19 ·
I would more than likely get the tech package if ordering, but I agree it is a lot for what you get.

I am not a fan of aftermarket Nav systems in the dash and althougha Garmin is just as good or better it is a pain in the ass.

I will tell you the LED lighting is terrible, they need to upgrade their LED's, the ones the supply have no power, you can not see sh!t with them on. Newer technology LED is light years ahead of these cheap bulbs.

#20 ·
I will tell you the LED lighting is terrible, they need to upgrade their LED's, the ones the supply have no power, you can not see sh!t with them on. Newer technology LED is light years ahead of these cheap bulbs.
thanks GCarman, maybe if I get the bug over the long Fairbanks winter I can add something tasteful to the interior.

So it looks like Im sticking with original order of carbon fiber mirrors, heated seats, front plate fill, except for this change I was just given info about:
Sport Exhaust Titanium Package
!! Restriction Warning:
Currently Unavailable to Order/TBA.

booooo!
my nice sales lady said I can still get the exhaust alone if I want, but not the wheels and grille together. aftermarket it is then

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.