VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Road Rage Dad Chases Kids

14K views 79 replies 58 participants last post by  autocross 
#1 ·
Road-rage dad bumps kids at Daly City school

A father driving his young daughter to school in Daly City faces up to nine years in prison on charges that he struck two 10-year-old students with his car in a senseless fit of road rage, according to prosecutors.

Vernon Suriaga, 43, of San Mateo, remains in custody on $150,000 bail in connection to the alleged Sept. 23 attack on the boys, who had been working safety patrol at John F. Kennedy Elementary School.

According to prosecutors, Suriaga became enraged when a group of students working safety patrol told him he could not enter the parking lot until 8:15 a.m. The time was 8:05 a.m.

Suriaga asked the boys to move a cone so he could make a u-turn. But instead of turning, he drove forward into the parking lot, San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said. Two of the boys stepped in front of his car and again told him to stop, but Suriaga allegedly revved up the engine and struck them, Wagstaffe said. The boys were hit by the car in the abdominal area, but were not knocked down, he said.

Suriaga continued into the parking lot, parked, and then chased after the two young patrol guards, Wagstaffe said. He “grabbed a third 10-year-old patrol boy by the jacket and screamed at him,” the district attorney said.

He also allegedly screamed curses at a mother who witnessed the rage.

Suriaga then walked his daughter, a second-grader, to school. He hopped back in his car and fled. Police later arrested him at his home. He remains in custody on $150,000 bail, Wagstaffe said.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/blogs/law-and-disorder/2011/10/road-rage-dad-bumps-kids-daly-city-school

See less See more
#9 ·
Stupid kids and even dumber dad.

#11 ·
I'd don't think the guy deserves jail time (since I don't think he actually hurt the kids, don't think the article is clear on this.)
But he needs a **** load of anger management and therapy.
He used his car as a deadly weapon against 10 year olds, are you that dense? his child should be taken from him, he should get plenty of jail and then all the therapy and anger management he needs.

#17 · (Edited)
A father driving his young daughter to school in Daly City faces up to nine years in prison
kids not hurt? civil suit. as a father, i'd hope that teaches the kids a lesson, but i'm suing the pants off the guy. still, jail time? man, i thought we had better things to spend a cell bed on, like sex offenders and armed robbers.

Why were 10 year old students in charge of directing traffic? :screwy:
THIS A BAJILLION TIMES!!!!

He used his car as a deadly weapon against 10 year olds
if a chick chokes giving me a BJ, does that mean my penis is a deadly weapon?

ANYTHING can be a deadly weapon, so that bullspit needs to STOP.

this is like the opposite of the chicks from russia standing down cars driving on sidewalks, in that the car was in the ROAD and the kids should have MOVED.

What sort of mature adult thinks it's ok to PUT a 10yr old child IN CHARGE OF TRAFFIC?
FTFY. who were the school adminstrators in charge of this? where were they?

i admit the dad was wrong not to just park the car and walk from there, but F*CK ME if i'm going to take direction from a 5th grader. I AM smarter than them!

#20 ·
kids not hurt? civil suit. as a father, i'd hope that teaches the kids a lesson, but i'm suing the pants off the guy. still, jail time? man, i thought we had better things to spend a cell bed on, like sex offenders and armed robbers.

if a chick chokes giving me a BJ, does that mean my penis is a deadly weapon?

ANYTHING can be a deadly weapon, so that bullspit needs to STOP.

this is like the opposite of the chicks from russia standing down cars driving on sidewalks, in that the car was in the ROAD and the kids should have MOVED.

FTFY. who were the school adminstrators in charge of this? where were they?

i admit the dad was wrong not to just park the car and walk from there, but F*CK ME if i'm going to take direction from a 5th grader. I AM smarter than them!
I'm with this guy.

#21 ·
I really hate to take up for this guy, but 9 years seems a little steep for yelling at a kid and tapping him with a car. I can't imagine how a 10 year old could not be knocked down by a car. Sounds like he revved the engine, his brake pedal slipped and he barely hit one of the kids unintentionally. It would see if he really wanted to hurt one of the kids, then he could have. That being the case, he did not use his car as a deadly weapon IMO.

With that said, this guy's a nutcase, maybe jail would so him so good..oh wait, were talking about American jail system where you come out worse than when you go in. Uh maybe, he can do community service for the rest of his life and take mandatory anger management classes. IDK?

#23 ·
It would see if he really wanted to hurt one of the kids, then he could have. That being the case, he did not use his car as a deadly weapon IMO.
Seems like a good defense.
'If I wanted to hurt them Sir, I would have actually run them over.'

#30 ·
I live in San Mateo, and my girlfriend lives in Daly City. I can say that driving there in the morning does make one insane. Not sure if I'm ever annoyed enough to try and run down 10 year olds, but it's tempting. :laugh:

#53 ·
Its not that absurd until something like this happens. Waiting to remove cones from the school driveway at 815 seems innocent enough until the kids have to confront a "dad gone bad". It wasnt that long ago that teenagers were driving school buses. Sounds absurd today, but at the time ( '1988-90 last I recall riding a bus with highschool driver) was quite commonplace.

I dont see an issue with giving the kids this responsibility with adult supervision in attendence. Doesnt seem like there was any from the articles description of events.

The guy was stupid...his daughter is now " the girl with the crazy daddy"...He's already serving jail time with the hellacious bond. Give him anger management and maybe ban him from school property for the remainder of the school year. He did bump the kids intentionally with the car and grabbed another so...

#36 ·
A father driving his young daughter to school in Daly City faces up to nine years in prison on charges that he struck two 10-year-old students with his car in a senseless fit of road rage, according to prosecutors.

Suriaga asked the boys to move a cone so he could make a u-turn. But instead of turning, he drove forward into the parking lot, San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said. Two of the boys stepped in front of his car and again told him to stop, but Suriaga allegedly revved up the engine and struck them, Wagstaffe said. The boys were hit by the car in the abdominal area, but were not knocked down, he said.
Sounds like two kids walked into the path of a slow moving car and got bumped. Prison? No. The guy does get the ultimate dick award, though and would probably benefit from therapy.

Also, we had student crossing guards when I was in grade school, too. I don't find this unsafe in any way.

#37 ·
There have been kids as crossing guards since there have been cars. You hit any one with a 2 ton car and its assault. I dont care if he thought he was in the right or not. pushing children out of the way with a car is stupid.

#42 ·
if they were STRUCK with the car but was not stuck hard enough to be knocked down then come on how deadly is that. if two little kids told me i wasnt aloud to pack there i prolly woulda done the same thing. it was a gentle nudge

#55 ·
^
:banghead: on so many levels...

Lifetime ban from school, a bus pass for him and his kid, no DL anymore, and a bit(couple weeks) of jail, oh and I almost forgot, a civil suit for good measure.

I'm OK with all of that as I don't want anyone like that near a school...

You don't do what this guy did... ever...

Any attempts at rationalizing ANY of his actions here in TCL land make you not much different in the IQ dept than this asshat.

#43 ·
Did the school teach the kids to step foot in front of the cars if the drivers disobeyed? In reality I see a lawsuit from the parents of the kids against the school for putting them in a potentially dangerous situation.

The dad that "struck" (and I use that term lightly) should get off with a restraining order and a light fine. He's a dick, but the kids were stupid.

#51 ·
Yeap, blame the kids. They guy was just in hurry. No big deal. Laughable.

Now, did you see the incident? It is my opinion that the kids did not step in front of the moving car. I bet they were just standing were they supposed to, and where in the way when the guy tried to move forward. It was obvious they moved when he went through or there would have been serious injuries.

A pissed off idiot tries to run over some kids and the kids get blamed. I just don't understand. It is not like they were mobbing his car to pull him out and beat his ass.

#44 · (Edited)
It's rather likely that before the kids knew this guy was a total nutjob they just got in front of the car as a way to get his attention. Maybe they were waving their hands and shouting "stop!" Running in front of the car was not the wisest thing to do, but sometimes 10-year olds make mistakes. They also probably did not figure this guy was such an idiot. In other words, I doubt they dove directly in front of a moving car with inches to spare. There was probably some distance. Then the guy went into rage mode and moved dangerously close to the kids. The article does not provide second-to-second specifics, but what I'm typing is reasonable conjecture.

I can't believe how much blame some of you are assigning to the kids. I understand kids make mistakes, but to say something like you would have done the same thing is just plain stupid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.