VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

XJ Cherokee convertible?

43K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  RenegadeE36 
#1 ·
Since Wranglers are insanely expensive and pretty small inside, has anyone done research on cutting the top off of the XJ Cherokee? How much structural reinforcement would the XJ need?

I'm picturing leaving the roof over the driver/passenger, a simple roll cage over the back 2/3, remove all carpet and truck bed liner inside and out. Should be pretty easy to find a cheap running XJ, seems like it could be a fun beater.

I think this is a pickup, but you get the point:

See less See more
#4 ·
I think this is a pickup, but you get the point:
What you have pictured IS a 2 door XJ with the roof cut off. I have seen a 4 door with the roof off, and it looks kind of dumb.

Remeber, these have top hinged liftgates, so you'd need to fab a tailgate. It would be pretty flimsy I'd imagine. With what you spent on reinforcing an XJ, you probably could have bought a Wrangler. YJ's are cheaper than TJ's.

Don't forget about other topless wonders: 1st gen 4-Runners, Samurai's, Scouts (all rusted to death or extremely expensive), fullsize Blazers & Broncos, Izusu Amigos.

#10 ·
Don't forget about other topless wonders: 1st gen 4-Runners, Samurai's, Scouts (all rusted to death or extremely expensive), fullsize Blazers & Broncos, Izusu Amigos.
You can also unbolt the roof from first gen Range Rovers using hand tools. They also have this little novelty called a frame so they don't flex like wet noodles.

Convertible Range Rover by willtel, on Flickr

Topless Range Rover by willtel, on Flickr

#9 ·
#6 ·
#8 ·
#15 ·
It's weird because I have been thinking about doing this to a Jeep for a while now. We have a guy in town who did it to a four door and it's okay but kind of hacked. If you have the right tools it shouldn't be a huge project.Just have to make sure that you add enough material to avoid flex -

#18 ·
I love it. Feels like a cockpit. I really miss mine but don't miss spending $100 a week on gas.

This...

..is completely badass

And this one...

...looks extremely well done. Almost to nice to thrash on some trails.

#21 ·
They don't lose value because they're similar to motorcycles. An old example is still pretty cool and can do almost everything a new example can do, so there's a big demand for used ones

#20 ·
#27 ·
I've tried to find some info on removing the RR Classic's top, but haven't found much. Anyone have some info on it?
There isn't much to it. Once you remove the headliner you can see small bolts around the perimeter of the top panel. Remove those and the roof panel comes off. The window frames are built onto the doors so they still work. The entire Range Rover body unbolts from around the floor pans.

#31 ·
why would you make a jeep truck out of an suv when you could easily just buy a jeep truck? :screwy:
I'm not looking to do this because it has a truck bed, I'm looking for an open top offroad beater that seats 4.

#29 ·
Jeep pick ups are pretty uncommon in my neck of the woods and the ones that I have found have all be 2wd
Where as I can throw a rock and find a Cherokee sport in decent shape for 2k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.