Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    1. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Cars
      2013 Audi TT S line competition, 1984 Audi 4000S quattro, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      05-25-2011 12:17 PM #1

We've created this thread so that people can post questions and comments for Allan in one central place. We're not limiting the discussion to this thread and welcome you to start your own. Allan will be hanging out in this forum and may visit other threads including older threads that predate this announcement. Still, we ask you to keep it easier for him to navigate by either posting in here or by putting the word "MCNISH" at the beginning of the thread as we have with this one.

BEGIN ALLAN MCNISH ANNOUNCEMENT

For 2011 we have big plans regarding the evolution of Fourtitude. Much of these changes will begin this summer though one change we plan to implement next week (and before the 24 Hours of Le Mans) is the return of a feature whereby we invite a special guest to visit and take part in our forums. Given the timing and the 24 Hours of Le Mans little more than two weeks out, we figured there’s no better focus to start with than Audi Sport and perhaps no better individual better suited for that task than factory driver of Audi R18 #3 Allan McNish.

On Tuesday May 31 from 4-11PM UK time (11AM-6PM USA-EST), Allan McNish will log on to the Fourtitude discussion forums as ‘Allan McNish’ in order to field questions in our Audi Sport forum. Allan will be checking in throughout that time block via Audi Connect as he travels from London to Scotland in the back of a new Audi A8.

Those of us here on the Fourtitude staff would like to formally invite all of our current readers and anyone else to ask Allan questions about himself, his team at Audi Sport or the 24 Hours of Le Mans. All you need in order to take part is an active user account on our forums. If you don’t have one already, you can create one in a matter of minutes and all you need is an active email address with which to pair the account.

At the end of Allan’s visit, we’ve asked him to pick what he believes to be the two most interesting questions or comments fielded to him during his stay. To the best and most interesting commenter we’ll ship an autographed copy of ‘Truth in 24’ in DVD format, signed by Allan and his teammates Tom Kristensen and Dindo Capello. To the runner-up we’ll ship a McNish Tartan wool scarf identical to the one pictured on Allan’s iconic racing helmet.

As we’ve said in the past with previous guests, we ask you to be polite and welcoming to Allan. In addition, please understand that while he’s one of the best we’ve found for answering all of our own in-depth and sometimes geeky questions, he still can’t tell you confidential information and the like. Please bear that in mind.

Also, we’ve disabled the private messaging function for Allan’s account because he’s got just a few hours in his busy schedule for this visit and we don’t want to fill that up with private messages whereby the rest of the forum doesn’t get to interact. In that regard, please understand that he won’t be responding to the forum’s private messaging system.

After Allan departs we’ll be announcing the winner of the prizes and will do our best to make contact with you in order to obtain a shipping address. Please make sure that you are either regularly checking in on the forums for contact via private message from one of Fourtitude’s staff or that the email associated with your forum registration is an active one.

Following Le Mans, we plan on inviting more special guests into the forums, guests who might include motorsport personalities like Allan, Audi executives, tuners and more. We know there are a lot of Audi enthusiast discussion forums on the web but we invite you to hang out and check in more on Fourtitude. Not only does that participation help us grow this website and improve our content even further, you’ll be able to interact with many of the key personalities behind Audi that we’ve been lucky enough to get to know over the years.

Cars
      2014 Kia Forte Koup EX
      05-25-2011 06:08 PM #2
      I guess I will be the first one to go haha.

Ive always wanted to get behind the wheel of a car and run a few laps and eventually will start running my car in some local autocross. I hope a three part question is ok.

As a new racer, how did you (when you started out, be it pro circuit, or a snot nosed young adult like myself ) adjust to new tracks / conditions / cars you drove? Did you study courses days/weeks/months in advance (if you had that time) and what was your biggest motivator that helped you aspire and build your skills?

3. Member
      Cars
      2005 Audi A6 3.2 quattro, 2002 Golf TDI 4 door man.
      05-25-2011 06:34 PM #3
      Hello Allan,

First of all - I would like to thank you for taking time from your crazy schedule to answer these forums. I have followed your career over the last few years and I really enjoy your turn-by-turn Le Mans lap commentaries and your driving impressions of the R8 v8 and v10 road cars, etc.

My question is about the new R18 racer. While looking at the exterior of the car, I can't help to notice how big and tall the front fenders are. It looks like they create huge blind spots in the front. Can you please comment on front visibility in the R18 and maybe how it compares with the open cockpit of the R15 and the R10? I assume you still get great visibility of the corners and the apex or is it worse then the R15/R10?

Thanks,
      Andre Smirnov.
      Last edited by 2fastdre; 05-25-2011 at 07:23 PM.

4. 05-26-2011 01:17 PM #4
      Hi Allan.

One thing that's always been discussed by the drivers of the R10 and R15 was how little noise is emitted into the cockpit because of the low amount of noise that the diesel engined made (especially from the exhaust it made the R8 seem ungodly loud, which for a race car it wasn't).

I know that the big reason why the diesel cars and the turbocharged cars in general don't make much noise is the turbos boost torque which means that the engines don't have to turn as many RPM to make the power and the turbines themselves break up and slow down the sound waves in the exhaust.

But getting back to the R18 vs the R10 and R15, the latter two were open cars, and above a certain speed, the wind noise tended to drown out the engine noise according to you guys. With the R18 having a roof, does that make a difference to the acoustics and being able to hear the engine, or does the roof, even with sound proofing being basically non-existant, cancel out any increase in dB levels even with the wind noise being a virtual non issue?

Thanks for taking the time to take in this Q&A session Allan, and good luck at Le Mans and the ILMC.

05-28-2011 11:03 AM #5
      Hello Allan,

After you raced against Dindo in the ILMC races last year after being co-drivers for so long I was wondering who you think have been your hardest team mates to race against while you've been at Audi as they would have been in equal cars so to make a fair comparison against ?

Thanks,

Dave

6. 05-29-2011 06:16 AM #6
      Question for Mr McNish:

Hello Mr McNish,
      These questions go back almost a decade to 2000-2004:

1) In 2000 you raced with the first generation of Audi Le Mans cars, the R8R at Silverstone and Charlotte in the ALMS. How did the R8R compare to the 2000 R8?

2) After your time in Formula 1, when you returned to Sports Car racing in 2004, how did the current Audi R8 (2004 specification onwards) compare to the R8 you first drove in 2000? What were your first impressions of the FSI technology of the newer engines that were not present on the 2000 R8?

3) Many of the current Audi Sport drivers have had a chance to drive/race the customer sport Audi R8 LMS. You have not raced in one of the R8 LMS, but have you had a chance to drive one of these R8 LMS yet? If you have what were your impressions of the car?

Thank you very much, best of luck for R18 #3 at Le Mans 2011

Regards
      Johan Laubscher
      South Africa
      Last edited by lappies; 05-29-2011 at 09:03 AM.

7. 05-30-2011 01:52 AM #7
      Hi Alan , Probably the shortest question you will get !!>>>> Audi F1 ??????? . Good luck at LM next week . I will be there with my Audi flag .

Cars
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      05-30-2011 06:05 AM #8
      Hi Mr McNish,

There's a ton of neat kit available for racing, from wide-eyeport helmets, to cool shirts, to Carbon-X underwear. What bit of kit made the biggest difference for you in racing, besides the car?

Background: I'm a pretend racer (track days and 24 Hours of LeMons) who could do with a kit upgrade.

Kind regards,
      -katherine
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

9. 05-30-2011 08:54 AM #9
      Hi Mr. McNish, and thanks so much answering the questions fans, thanks too to the whole Fourtitude team

Questions from the "unofficial" Audi Sport page :

1 - Audi took decision with R18 to move from open-top spider to a GTP like, is that a real challenge for drivers, after long years with roadsters ? driver changes and visibilty ?

2 - for Le Mans 24 Hours weekend, that requires a lot, are the other Audi teams helping, I mean the Audi DTM teams, or that's a Joest Racing exclusive task along with Audi Sport members ?

3 - Now, nearly you and Tom, the only factory Audi drivers never raced the Audi R8 LMS, is it possible to see you with semi-works teams in big classics like the Spa 24 Hours and Nurburgring 24 Hours a near future ?

4 - back in 2005, in DTM, the final races were really good, and you improved a lot with the A4, still interested by touring cars with Audi ?

5 - The ILMC started really well now, top endurance classics, big grids, the next step an official World Championship, could that happen and could it work, of course with Audi as a full competitor ?

6 - So many crashes now with slower cars, due to big entry lists in ILMC, what do you think about the GT class, the GTE Am one I mean with their gentlemen drivers, isn't too dangerous for prototypes, being much faster ?

7 - Final question, you raced with so many Audi teams, what's your favourite one : Team Joest, Champions Racing, ABT Sportsline or Team Veloqx ? hard question I know

Thanks again and good luck for Le Mans, hope that will bring you a 3rd outright victory.

Audi Sport Unofficial Page on Facebook.
      Last edited by Audi Sport UnofficialPage; 05-30-2011 at 06:18 PM.

10. 05-30-2011 01:17 PM #10
      Hi Allan
      Thank you very much for taking some time out to answer some fan questions.

1. What would you consider to be the different challenges and difficulties involved between a young driver chasing a potential F1 career and chasing a career in endurance racing?

2. Within the 3 driver team, would the setup of the car generally be based around the 3 drivers to try to make them all feel as comfortable as possible with the car's handling, or will someone be singled out as a 'lead driver' as such and then have the set-up slightly geared towards their preferences for the sake of the 'lead driver' being able to achieve fast lap times?

3. This is slightly related to my previous question, but how would the Audi team go about selecting their drivers for each car. For example what are the various aspects that they would look at to try to get the best combination possible, like physical and mental attributes?

4. My final question is this: Motorsport is always a team effort, with many people behind the scenes preparing and building the best possible car that they can. Over time and experience, I suppose you learn to trust the people behind the scenes, but how do you learn to trust your fellow drivers and how do you recover that trust if someone crashes due to driver error?

Hopefully you have the best of luck at Le Mans and that a victory awaits you.

11. 05-30-2011 06:21 PM #11
      Hi Allan,
      Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions, and good luck at Le Mans. I have two questions if that's ok:

1) When did you last spectate at a race, and do you make a good spectator, or do you spend your time wishing you were driving?

2)If we don't win 'Truth in 24' how can we get hold of a copy in the UK - I've been dying to have a copy since it came out - it doesn't have to be signed!

Thanks

12. 05-30-2011 07:16 PM #12
      Hi Allan,Hope all is well with you and you're family .

My questions(If more than 1 is allowed)

1. Do you think the "great" days of Sports cars are behind us? Everyone has been saying how Group C days and Le Mans 90-00 was the best. But Im thinking the days now are just as good as back then. Your take?

2. On your opinion,whats the best sports car you have raced at LM over the years? I've seen you in so many cars. Its been on my mind for a long time now.

3. You have driven in a few closed cockpit cars. How does the R18 compare to the old Toyota GT ONE?

4. Do you think this year at Le Mans and other races,since there is less power and more aerodynamics on the cars. Will the drivers be pushed harder from cornering speeds and so on? More fatigue and what not?

Thanks Allan, Been a big fan of you for years now
      Last edited by Razgriz8484; 05-31-2011 at 08:01 AM.

13. 05-31-2011 07:08 AM #13
      Hi Allan,

I've been a major fan of yours for over a decade now. I've always been amazed at how you are capable of making up laps in what looks like so little effort. WOW!

My question is simple - why doesn't Audi of America offer more versions of the TDI? As of now, wer only get the TDI in the A3 fronttrack only - no quattro!), as well as the TDI in the Q7. Audi has been promoting clean diesel for many years now. I would love to see Audi bring over direct competition for BMW's 335d. Please Audi! Build it, and we will come!

Best Regards,
      Mike

14. Contributor Bill@Fourtitude's Avatar
      05-31-2011 07:55 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
      Hi Allan,

I've been a major fan of yours for over a decade now. I've always been amazed at how you are capable of making up laps in what looks like so little effort. WOW!

My question is simple - why doesn't Audi of America offer more versions of the TDI? As of now, wer only get the TDI in the A3 fronttrack only - no quattro!), as well as the TDI in the Q7. Audi has been promoting clean diesel for many years now. I would love to see Audi bring over direct competition for BMW's 335d. Please Audi! Build it, and we will come!

Best Regards,
      Mike
      Mike- I'm pretty sure Allan cannot answer this question as he is not on the business side.

Thanks

Bill

15. 05-31-2011 08:10 AM #15
      Hi Alan,

Firstly, i'm happy to see you on this forum for answer to our questions, very cool !

So my questions are:

1. For you, what is the best quality of R18 compared to the new 908 ?
      With this new car, do you think the gap betwen R15 and 908 is cancelled ?

2. How was your reaction when you saw for the first time the R18 ? and after, when you drove it ?

3. What did explains the difference of performance betwen the R18 and 908 during the race at SPA. Before the race, you had the quickest car but not during the race, why ?

4. And for finish, what is your favorite car that you drove?

Thanks you very much Allan, i wish you all the best ! #3

Danny

05-31-2011 09:54 AM #16
      Hello, Allan. Thanks for taking time out to talk to us non-Jedi.

Only one question. I have to know. Has this video temporarily made your life a living hell?

It can't all be about racing.
      Ryder Hesjedal: "If you draw your sword and then drop it, you die."

Two shop locations: Aberdeen. MD and Lorton, VA
      05-31-2011 10:55 AM #17
      Hey Allan,

I've been a fan for many years, thanks for taking the time to speak with us here, and of course big thanks to George, Bill & the crew for putting this great opportunity together.

I was wondering: What has been your favorite race car to drive, not including whether or not it was a successful car for you at the time? For example the first time I can recall you racing in the states was in a Ferrari 333SP at Daytona. You then had years with Porsche and Toyota before Audi, and I'm sure there were some years prior that I'm missing out on... It doesn't even have to be a prototype, just can't be a single-seater.

What is your favorite track, other than Le Mans?

What inspired you to get behind the wheel of a race car in the first place?

What was your 'big break' that allowed you to transition to full-time, paid driver?

Favorite food?

Favorite thing to do when you're not busy testing, racing, or otherwise doing something car-related?

Thanks much, best of luck at Le Mans this year!

-Nate
      Last edited by nate@NGP; 05-31-2011 at 11:05 AM.
      NGP Racing * Facebook * AIM: nateNGP
      APR North American Distributor of the year *2005*2006*2007*2009*2010*
      Sales Specials
      2010 U.S. Rallycross 2wd Class Champions w/ Quantum Rally Sport

Cars
      Audi RS 5, Audi R18 TDI #3
      05-31-2011 11:29 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by superjario18 View Post
      I guess I will be the first one to go haha.

Ive always wanted to get behind the wheel of a car and run a few laps and eventually will start running my car in some local autocross. I hope a three part question is ok.

As a new racer, how did you (when you started out, be it pro circuit, or a snot nosed young adult like myself ) adjust to new tracks / conditions / cars you drove? Did you study courses days/weeks/months in advance (if you had that time) and what was your biggest motivator that helped you aspire and build your skills?
      SuperJario, cool name, sounds fast so you should be fast

Adjusting is experience but it is also knowing the limits of your vehicle, find that out in slow corners, not fast to begin with, slow corner mistake =spin, fast corner =shunt. The last area I learn the limit of is braking point, if you brake too late on lap 2 of a test day it is end of test day and you don't learn much. Read the road, look ahead, look at flags for wind and weather info, use the tools you have around you.

I think about courses and what I want to do and how I am going to do it, run through scenarios in your head, think of areas you can improve, prepare!

Biggest motivator to push on more and harder and farther is the long trip home when you've been beaten, it is much nicer travels when you have won.

Go for it.
      - Allan

allanmcnish.com
      follow on Facebook
      follow on Twitter

Cars
      05-31-2011 11:41 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by nate@NGP View Post
      Hey Allan,

I've been a fan for many years, thanks for taking the time to speak with us here, and of course big thanks to George, Bill & the crew for putting this great opportunity together.

I was wondering: What has been your favorite race car to drive, not including whether or not it was a successful car for you at the time? For example the first time I can recall you racing in the states was in a Ferrari 333SP at Daytona. You then had years with Porsche and Toyota before Audi, and I'm sure there were some years prior that I'm missing out on... It doesn't even have to be a prototype, just can't be a single-seater.

What is your favorite track, other than Le Mans?

What inspired you to get behind the wheel of a race car in the first place?

What was your 'big break' that allowed you to transition to full-time, paid driver?

Favorite food?

Favorite thing to do when you're not busy testing, racing, or otherwise doing something car-related?

Thanks much, best of luck at Le Mans this year!

-Nate
      Hi Nate

Cheers for your words.

Favourite car......don't tell Audi but I have a love for the Porsche GT1, loved the look and it gave me my first Le Mans win which helped my career so much.

The Renault F1 2003 was mega to drive, really sweet and suited my style. The Ferrari 333 was great engine, bad seating position and no traction, other wise good

Hoping R18 is going to be the best yet though

Suzuka is my favourite track in the world, fast, flowing, hard, requires commitment and rewarding.

I was not so good at school or soccer so when I won in karting it gave me confidence and a direction so that was an important time for me as I was a bit above average at something.

Big break, winning a Formula Ford race at Snetterton in 1987 which brought me to the attention of
      Marlboro and it allowed me to continue my career.

Favourite food.......I love all food....except celery, that it tasteless.

Favourite thing to do when not part of the circus....sleep. I travel about 230 days/nights of the year so I don't have much time except spend some hours with the family.

Hope you enjoy LeMans too.

Allan
      - Allan

allanmcnish.com
      follow on Facebook
      follow on Twitter

Cars
      05-31-2011 11:44 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Sunil View Post
      Hello, Allan. Thanks for taking time out to talk to us non-Jedi.

Only one question. I have to know. Has this video temporarily made your life a living hell?

It can't all be about racing.

And they say the British do not have a sense of humour

Cheers Sunil, livened up my day
      - Allan

allanmcnish.com
      follow on Facebook
      follow on Twitter

Cars
      05-31-2011 11:49 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by DannyTK View Post
      Hi Alan,

Firstly, i'm happy to see you on this forum for answer to our questions, very cool !

So my questions are:

1. For you, what is the best quality of R18 compared to the new 908 ?
      With this new car, do you think the gap betwen R15 and 908 is cancelled ?

2. How was your reaction when you saw for the first time the R18 ? and after, when you drove it ?

3. What did explains the difference of performance betwen the R18 and 908 during the race at SPA. Before the race, you had the quickest car but not during the race, why ?

4. And for finish, what is your favorite car that you drove?

Thanks you very much Allan, i wish you all the best ! #3

Danny
      Hey Danny

Best quality for racing R18....sheer speed is up there with Peugeot. That helps a lot.

My reaction to seeing R18 for first time all built up was WOW, THAT LOOKS MEAN.

At Spa we were fast but not consistent enough as stints went on, first race was good but showed us where we need to improve which we worked on in testing.

I answered one before similar, so maybe I will answer the best in memories for the occasion was Lime Rock last R8 win, you only have 1 chance to win a cars last race, that was cool.
      - Allan

allanmcnish.com
      follow on Facebook
      follow on Twitter

Cars
      05-31-2011 11:57 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Bill@Fourtitude View Post
      Mike- I'm pretty sure Allan cannot answer this question as he is not on the business side.

Thanks

Bill
      Hi Mike

Crikey, build it and we will come, build it and hopefully you will come and drive it and love it and buy it.

Bill is right it is not my specialised subject but I am quite sure more are on the way. I know a big percentage of Q7 sold in US are now diesel which is pretty good considering when I first raced the R10 people did not believe it was diesel, and that was only a few years ago!!

Allan
      - Allan

allanmcnish.com
      follow on Facebook
      follow on Twitter

23. 05-31-2011 12:03 PM #23
      Allan,
      I'd like to get more info on your honest thoughts of how the R18 compares to the 908 in terms of pure performance. Once again Audi seems to have a chosen an engine design that is putting out less HP than the French. I know there are a lot of other factors involved in how the car performs, but I worry about Peugeot running away on the straights again as well as fuel economy of the V6.
      After running at Spa and LM test day, where does the R18 realistically stand?

As a spectator it seems that Audi is always trying new innovative concepts(such as the unique engine this year), while Peugeot goes for all out power and tries to be the quickest. I'm dying to see Audi really take it to them and see the hard work pay off!!!!

Thanks Allan!
      -Tommy

24. 05-31-2011 12:06 PM #24
      If you dont mind I do have one more question for Allan.

Audi normally doesn't come out of the box with a fast car. They normally make the car quicker through out the year. This year it seems the R18 is the quicker of the P1's. (With the testing times at Sebring,LM test day and Spa) What changed? Did the roof make THAT big of a difference? Or is it the whole Audi "Ultra" concept? Im sure the car has improved in all areas. Which is the most noticeable?
      Last edited by Razgriz8484; 05-31-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Cars
      05-31-2011 12:16 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Razgriz8484 View Post
      Hi Allan,Hope all is well with you and you're family .

My questions(If more than 1 is allowed)

1. Do you think the "great" days of Sports cars are behind us? Everyone has been saying how Group C days and Le Mans 90-00 was the best. But Im thinking the days now are just as good as back then. Your take?

2. On your opinion,whats the best sports car you have raced at LM over the years? I've seen you in so many cars. Its been on my mind for a long time now.

3. You have driven in a few closed cockpit cars. How does the R18 compare to the old Toyota GT ONE?

4. Do you think this year at Le Mans and other races,since there is less power and more aerodynamics on the cars. Will the drivers be pushed harder from cornering speeds and so on? More fatigue and what not?

Thanks Allan, Been a big fan of you for years now
      Hi there

I think the great days are here now, think of the battles with Porsche and Audi, or Acura and Porsche, or Audi and Peugeot,or Ferrari and BMW, or Porsche and Ferrari.....fantastic. As for today right now, it is hard for LMP1 in US but still Sportscars as a whole is in good shape.

R18 is so far ahead of Toyota in performance but it is 12 years later, but they were built to different regs, GT1 had to be "road based"....ha ha , how many have you seen on the roads where you live? R18 is just for Sunday driving

With less power this year overtaking will be tougher and more done in corners as opposed to straights, As for cornering forces, they go up every year, more aero, more tyre grip, better suspension etc. That is why we are fit.

Enjoy

Allan
      - Allan

allanmcnish.com
      follow on Facebook
      follow on Twitter

Cars
      05-31-2011 12:26 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by MJ* View Post
      Hi Allan,
      Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions, and good luck at Le Mans. I have two questions if that's ok:

1) When did you last spectate at a race, and do you make a good spectator, or do you spend your time wishing you were driving?

2)If we don't win 'Truth in 24' how can we get hold of a copy in the UK - I've been dying to have a copy since it came out - it doesn't have to be signed!

Thanks
      I was at the first LMS round at Paul Ricard in April, it is 2 hours form home, took family, sat on grass banking, ate ice cream, went to paddock once to see Hindy on radio le mans. Yes I make a good spectator......nearly.

You have to get the winning question to get a Truth in 24 DVD (-: It was only available on Itunes if you had a US account sadly but maybe a fellow Fourtitude member knows?

Allan
      - Allan

allanmcnish.com
      follow on Facebook
      follow on Twitter

Cars
      05-31-2011 12:41 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Dust52 View Post
      Hi Allan
      Thank you very much for taking some time out to answer some fan questions.

1. What would you consider to be the different challenges and difficulties involved between a young driver chasing a potential F1 career and chasing a career in endurance racing?

2. Within the 3 driver team, would the setup of the car generally be based around the 3 drivers to try to make them all feel as comfortable as possible with the car's handling, or will someone be singled out as a 'lead driver' as such and then have the set-up slightly geared towards their preferences for the sake of the 'lead driver' being able to achieve fast lap times?

3. This is slightly related to my previous question, but how would the Audi team go about selecting their drivers for each car. For example what are the various aspects that they would look at to try to get the best combination possible, like physical and mental attributes?

4. My final question is this: Motorsport is always a team effort, with many people behind the scenes preparing and building the best possible car that they can. Over time and experience, I suppose you learn to trust the people behind the scenes, but how do you learn to trust your fellow drivers and how do you recover that trust if someone crashes due to driver error?

Hopefully you have the best of luck at Le Mans and that a victory awaits you.
      $$$$$ is biggest thing for a young driver. Going to F1 the budget to go through Formula Renault 2 seasons, F3 2 seasons, GP2 2 seasons = approx $5.5 and then there are only a few seats available. Sportscars similar but more seats and more factories so more professional drivers. Driving wise, to get to the top of either you have to be pretty special on and off track.

To win all drivers need to be comfortable with the car so it is a joint decision, with Dindo, Tom and I we like the same thing nearly 100% of the time, but if we don't , we speak up and the other 2 will compromise.

Yes, nail on the head, all of the above.

We all have driver errors and crashes, it is called racing and being on the limit. As long as you are honest about mistakes or whatever it gains trust as opposed to it being reduced. When I made a mistake in Spa on lap 1 and spun, I radioed straight away and said, driver error, my fault, don't worry I will get it back. When I came in I saw Tom and said sorry, he said thanks for coming on the radio and saying straight away what happened and for getting back on with the job, it calmed everyone down.

Enjoy Le Mans

Allan
      - Allan

allanmcnish.com
      follow on Facebook
      follow on Twitter

28. Administrator Tim@Fourtitude's Avatar
      05-31-2011 12:47 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Allan McNish View Post
      went to paddock once to see Hindy on radio le mans.
      John is a heck of a nice guy - I would have gone to see him too!

You have to get the winning question to get a Truth in 24 DVD (-: It was only available on Itunes if you had a US account sadly but maybe a fellow Fourtitude member knows?

Allan
      I know that the (US version, with Jason Statham narrating) DVD of Truth in 24 is available through the US Audi Collection store. Does the UK store carry it also?

-Tim

05-31-2011 12:48 PM #29
      Hi Allan,

I was wondering when you eventually retire (hopefully a long time in the future) would you ever consider writing an autobiography, so that we get the inside story and your thoughts on your career etc?
      Thanks,
      David

30. Contributor Bill@Fourtitude's Avatar
      05-31-2011 12:53 PM #30
      We all have driver errors and crashes, it is called racing and being on the limit. As long as you are honest about mistakes or whatever it gains trust as opposed to it being reduced. When I made a mistake in Spa on lap 1 and spun, I radioed straight away and said, driver error, my fault, don't worry I will get it back. When I came in I saw Tom and said sorry, he said thanks for coming on the radio and saying straight away what happened and for getting back on with the job, it calmed everyone down.

Enjoy Le Mans

Allan
      Awesome, Allan...

Thank you once again for coming onboard & good luck to you & your teammates at LeMans!

31. Global Moderator David@vwvortex's Avatar
      Cars
      '04 R32/83 Rabbit GTI/13.5 Jetta GLI
      05-31-2011 12:55 PM #31
      Allan,

Being as busy as you are I'm sure you don't have time for racing sims, but just wanted to get your point of view on racing sims as tool for good, proper, fast real driving on track? Is it something that you'd recommend to folks as a good way to learn how to drive on track whether that be "track days" or real life racing?

Thanks for taking the time to join us on the forums.

BTW stupid question, but who came up w/the design for your helmet? I had to ask....

Cars
      05-31-2011 12:56 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Audi Sport UnofficialPage View Post
      Hi Mr. McNish, and thanks so much answering the questions fans, thanks too to the whole Fourtitude team

Questions from the "unofficial" Audi Sport page :

1 - Audi took decision with R18 to move from open-top spider to a GTP like, is that a real challenge for drivers, after long years with roadsters ? driver changes and visibilty ?

2 - for Le Mans 24 Hours weekend, that requires a lot, are the other Audi teams helping, I mean the Audi DTM teams, or that's a Joest Racing exclusive task along with Audi Sport members ?

3 - Now, nearly you and Tom, the only factory Audi drivers never raced the Audi R8 LMS, is it possible to see you with semi-works teams in big classics like the Spa 24 Hours and Nurburgring 24 Hours a near future ?

4 - back in 2005, in DTM, the final races were really good, and you improved a lot with the A4, still interested by touring cars with Audi ?

5 - The ILMC started really well now, top endurance classics, big grids, the next step an official World Championship, could that happen and could it work, of course with Audi as a full competitor ?

6 - So many crashes now with slower cars, due to big entry lists in ILMC, what do you think about the GT class, the GTE Am one I mean with their gentlemen drivers, isn't too dangerous for prototypes, being much faster ?

7 - Final question, you raced with so many Audi teams, what's your favourite one : Team Joest, Champions Racing, ABT Sportsline or Team Veloqx ? hard question I know

Thanks again and good luck for Le Mans, hope that will bring you a 3rd outright victory.

Audi Sport Unofficial Page on Facebook.
      How many chances do you want to win the DVD???

1. The main difference for me is getting used less power in traffic for overtaking. Visibility is a bit compromised but more from the big tyre as Acura found and ASton as well.

2. Only Joest have raced Le Mans as a works involvement.

3. It is possible, I was asked this year but could not as I had committed to the FIA for Steward in Hungary that weekend.

4.Nope, not in DTM, I like fast race tracks and fast cars too much.

5. I think the signs are there ILMC would work as an official WC, it is there all but in name.

6. WE all have to find a way of living on the same piece of real estate, not ideal all the time but that is the way t is and a part of the event. Proviso, the driving standards are maintained and that is by amateur and professionals alike!

7. All good in different areas and too detailed to answer.

Thanks for the support.

Allan
      - Allan

allanmcnish.com
      follow on Facebook
      follow on Twitter

Cars
      2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro
      05-31-2011 12:59 PM #33
      Hi Allan,

I noticed you drive an RS 5 when not behind the wheel of the R18. Assuming you have the choice of any Audi for your personal car, what made you choose the RS 5? And overall, what do you look for in road car?

Thanks and all the best at Le Mans!

Adam

34. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Cars
      2013 Audi TT S line competition, 1984 Audi 4000S quattro, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      05-31-2011 01:06 PM #34
      I was at the first LMS round at Paul Ricard in April, it is 2 hours form home, took family, sat on grass banking, ate ice cream, went to paddock once to see Hindy on radio le mans. Yes I make a good spectator......nearly.

Allan
      On Ti24, check ebay or a US dealership. They're available via the dealerships in the USA. I think there's a UK version as well but it's without Jason Statham for some reason.

Cars
      05-31-2011 01:07 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by David@vwvortex View Post
      Allan,

Being as busy as you are I'm sure you don't have time for racing sims, but just wanted to get your point of view on racing sims as tool for good, proper, fast real driving on track? Is it something that you'd recommend to folks as a good way to learn how to drive on track whether that be "track days" or real life racing?

Thanks for taking the time to join us on the forums.

BTW stupid question, but who came up w/the design for your helmet? I had to ask....
      I think racing sims are getting so good now, not only for basic learning but also for use on detailed use and with race car sims they are used for detailed set up work. McLaren run their one while race weekends are going on to ensure they have the best set ups. There is a new one coming out soon called SimRaceway.com that I have tried in test phase that really rocked.

The original helmet design was my tartan with a bit of Jackie Stewart styling, and then I came up with small variants from there with Mike Fairholme the best ARAI helmet painter, it is not easy doing tartan and a flourescent effect for night time (www.fairholmedesigns.com)

Thanks for keeping us informed on Fourtitude.

Allan
      - Allan

allanmcnish.com
      follow on Facebook
      follow on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast