Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Cars
      2013 Audi TT S line competition, 1984 Audi 4000S quattro, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      03-30-2011 01:07 AM #1

We've found what we believe to be the first set of spy photos of the upcoming RS 4 Avant posted over at MotorAuthority. Make sure to see plenty more angles of the car after the jump. MA notes the car is essentially A4 bodied with a unique RS-like chin spoiler, RS 5 wheels and brakes and suggests the car will be a high-hp version of the 3.0T FSI supercharged engine that should hit market in 2013 as a 2014 model.

So What Do We Think?
      We believe this is an RS 4 Avant mule but our sources suggest some of MotorAuthority's details are incorrect. Originally we'd been told the RS 4 will share drivetrains with the RS 5 and that would be the high-rev 4.2-liter V8. A board level source told us you can't justify two different drivetrains for RS 4 and RS 5 so expect RS 4 to mirror RS 5... or rather the engine the RS 5 has when it gets a product improvement (PI a.k.a. facelift) next year. We expect they'll both keep the 4.2 high-rev though we wish they'd swap it for the 4.0T FSI.

The 3.0T simply isn't a quattro GmbH developed engine and so the likelihood of its use is slim to none despite what MotorAuthority says.

When will we see it? The new A4 is also due summer of 2012 as a 2013 model alongside the A5/S5/RS 5. The soonest we guess Audi will show the RS 4 Avant will be that time though it could very well wait a year as MA suggests. This remains to be seen.

We've rendered a few shots of the RS 4 Avant were it built in current pre-facelift guise and it can be seen below in Suzuka Grey and Ipanema Brown. It's worth noting though, the RS 4 won't be revealed until after the facelift.

The chances for the RS 4 Avant in America are actually quite good... better than A4 Avant and better than S4 Avant surprisingly. When the A4 facelift first launches the A4 Avant will disappear from the US market and be replaced by the A4 allroad. Audi of America thinks this will sell better and that's probably true if you look at Outback and XC70 sales versus their wagon equivalents. Still, the A4 allroad in the USA means the Avant body structure is still in market and that makes bringing the RS 4 Avant easier. Audi of America is quite serious about bolstering its RS chops in the USA and we were a fly on a wall during a conversation between quattro GmbH and Audi of America executives where they discussed "the Avant" and "the (RS 5) Cabriolet". We're hoping we see both but would settle for just the Avant.

Don't expect to see an RS 4 sedan. Audi AG used US numbers to justify the B7 RS 4 sedan (the only RS 4 sedan in Audi's history). The RS 5 was the smarter move here and with that model already in market, there's no business case for a sedan.

See more RS 4 Avant test mule spy photos after the jump. Thanks John S. for the tip.

Original Story with More Spy Photos at Motor Authority

2. Junior Member
      Cars
      2009 B8 A4 3.2q
      03-30-2011 02:36 AM #2
      G, I don't know how did you get those dates, but wouldn't it be too early that these mules were already on streets (with almost all uncovered) for a model which drivetrain had already been so much tested on the same platform (B8 - RS5) for it to be only shown late next year or even later as MA suggesting.
      It might be sooner than we know..
      Think about it!

3. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Cars
      2013 Audi TT S line competition, 1984 Audi 4000S quattro, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      03-30-2011 10:15 AM #3
      MotorAuthority gave the MY2014 date. I say as soon as next (not this) summer. Facelifted A4 comes next year and it won't come before that.

4. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Cars
      03-30-2011 10:16 AM #4

We've run our own story with new spy photos and a full set of renders of more colors. Check it out via the link below.

Full Story

5. Junior Member
      Cars
      2009 B8 A4 3.2q
      03-30-2011 10:17 AM #5
      If you said ''in States'' I would've agreed...
      What I mean to say is, it will coincide with B8 platform facelift, but it's gonna happen way before you expect. Seems like we are to have very short MY2012 run and MY2012 will come actually as MY2012.5 (maybe also only for NA!). NA is getting facelifted RS5 in spring 2012 and the rest of the world a ''bit earlier''. There have been reports from some members that you can't actually order a RS5 anymore in some European countries (Swiss) and that the orders start back again in August this year for a facelift already!
      Cheers!
      ps. I might be annoying, but, what happened with your report from a meeting with a product planner of AoA?
      Last edited by darkop; 03-30-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Cars
      2014 E250 Bluetec, 2013 Focus EV
      03-30-2011 10:58 AM #6
      That looks like the standard S4 front bumper with mesh lower intakes. I think the facelift will have new headlights and the new corporate grille.

Note the new LED taillights which has not been an option on the Avant.

7. 03-30-2011 11:40 AM #7
      I can't say that I understand why Audi is holding onto the 4.2 so tenaciously. While it certainly has some good points, the combined fuel milage is pretty atrocious. With gas prices headed the way they are, that's probably going to become a more significant sticking point over time, especially when it's compared to the S4. If it was making a lot of power over a re-tuned 3.0T, that might be one thing, but as is it seems difficult to justify the tradeoff.

8. 03-30-2011 06:32 PM #8
      Audi!! I would really appreciate it if you brought the RS4 Avant to the US. I want something to replace my B7 Avant and the Automatic B8 A4 Avant is not going to cut it. This will most likely be a limited run so feel free to kick up the cost to cover federalization expenses but, just bring it! Thanks.

9. 03-30-2011 07:27 PM #9
      Crosses everything I can in hopes for a boosted I5.

10. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Cars
      03-30-2011 09:50 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by darkop View Post
      If you said ''in States'' I would've agreed...
      What I mean to say is, it will coincide with B8 platform facelift, but it's gonna happen way before you expect. Seems like we are to have very short MY2012 run and MY2012 will come actually as MY2012.5 (maybe also only for NA!). NA is getting facelifted RS5 in spring 2012 and the rest of the world a ''bit earlier''. There have been reports from some members that you can't actually order a RS5 anymore in some European countries (Swiss) and that the orders start back again in August this year for a facelift already!
      Cheers!
      ps. I might be annoying, but, what happened with your report from a meeting with a product planner of AoA?
      Good to know. Thanks for the intel. I need to dig up those notes from meeting. Sorry for delay. We've been piled on with fantastic trips, etc. and I'm still getting caught up.

11. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Cars
      03-30-2011 09:51 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Djibril View Post
      I can't say that I understand why Audi is holding onto the 4.2 so tenaciously. While it certainly has some good points, the combined fuel milage is pretty atrocious. With gas prices headed the way they are, that's probably going to become a more significant sticking point over time, especially when it's compared to the S4. If it was making a lot of power over a re-tuned 3.0T, that might be one thing, but as is it seems difficult to justify the tradeoff.
      I think eventually they'll move on but for now I think the theory is that RS owners aren't too concerned about fuel economy. That's just a guess though.

12. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Cars
      03-30-2011 09:55 PM #12

quattroholic has a whole different set of pics. You get a better look at the taillights in the shot above but worth clicking through for many other angles. Click the link below to see them.

Full Story

13. 03-30-2011 10:05 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by George@Fourtitude View Post
      I think eventually they'll move on but for now I think the theory is that RS owners aren't too concerned about fuel economy. That's just a guess though.
      Pretty much what I figured. Still a shame.

14. 03-31-2011 06:17 AM #14
      George, Do you reckon RS4 will have more lightweight components than RS5 eg Aluminium bonnet, wings etc? That way it might be more of a sharp sports saloon/Avant rather than fast long distance tourer. If not, AMG C class with 500bhp or more will outperform by quite a margin?

Cars
      '09, Sportwagen SEL / '12 Passat TDI SEL
      03-31-2011 09:57 AM #15

Too much want for one person like myself to be able to handle.
      Adjusting my lifestyle with the grace and wisdom of a potato.

16. 04-03-2011 05:59 AM #16
      How so? I got the sense every single US RS4 sold, and sold quickly. (2000 sedans and 1000 convertibles), and quickly. Further, the RS4's performance was comfortably ahead of its competitors at launch. We have yet to see the US sales numbers for the RS5, but given the reviews, it's not looking promising: 4 year old M3s are finishing on par with or ahead of the RS5. Further, while the average older, wealthy American may indeed prefer coupes to "small" sedans, there are a lot more options in that more options in that market -- the RS5 is competing for dollars with the 911 in a way no sedan ever would. An RS4 would target a smaller niche, but an underserved niche at that. I'd imagine the RS halo effect is stronger with sedans as well -- high performance coupes are impractical luxury items, but high performance versions of slightly pedestrian sedans are close enough to realistic for enough people to get them into the show rooms and to walk out with an S4 or A4.

Then again, a 5-year-old engine design may indeed have lowered investment costs, but it certainly won't help sales figures, even with the 30 extra horses they've wrung out of it over the last few years.

17. 04-03-2011 01:55 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by George@Fourtitude View Post
      [IMG]

The chances for the RS 4 Avant in America are actually quite good... better than A4 Avant and better than S4 Avant surprisingly. When the A4 facelift first launches the A4 Avant will disappear from the US market and be replaced by the A4 allroad. Audi of America thinks this will sell better and that's probably true if you look at Outback and XC70 sales versus their wagon equivalents. Still, the A4 allroad in the USA means the Avant body structure is still in market and that makes bringing the RS 4 Avant easier. Audi of America is quite serious about bolstering its RS chops in the USA and we were a fly on a wall during a conversation between quattro GmbH and Audi of America executives where they discussed "the Avant" and "the (RS 5) Cabriolet". We're hoping we see both but would settle for just the Avant.
      wait... now Audi is going to axe the A4 Avant? Where is the confirmation on that? I have a 2004 S4 Avant that I am keeping for as long as possible until I see if the 2012/2013 S4 Avant coming over with the facelift, or if that does not happen just settle on the A4 Avant and chip it. It does not seem logical that they would import the RS4 Avant at all. If they did I would get it, but I would bet money it does not ever reach our shores. It would be awesome but I see absolutely no logic in it if they have axed the S4 Avant and the other A4 Avant variants. If only a handful of S4 Avants were sold a year, I do not see more RS4 Avants coming over because the vast majority of Americans just do not "get" the sport wagon concept.

so..if Audi does indeed axe the A4 Avant in favor of the allroad, then I see no other wagons from Audi.

18. 04-03-2011 04:23 PM #18
      For the record, the 444bhp V8 in RS5 has more in common with the R8 V10 than the RS4 V8. Road tests on RS models tend to be average at launch ( Eg.TTRS ) but long term the testers get the deal i.e tail sliding around a racetrack is not the end game. This is starting to happen to RS5 in Europe.