VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My Brilliant Timeline

99K views 346 replies 42 participants last post by  xdewaynex 
#1 ·
I'm getting tired of making all kinds of threads for my car, so I figured piling them all into one thread would be better. I own a 98.5 Audi A4, 1.8T 5spd Quattro, Brilliant Yellow, Winter and Sport package. I traded a fully bagged 98 S10 for it, back on Memorial Day weekend 2009.

When I first got it, it had aftermarket Ebay projector headlights, cheap fog lights, fartcan muffler and a spoiler.

Late summer, early Fall of 09, I debadged the trunk link, removed the spoiler, and bought a set of S4 projectors (still have to trim more of the fenders to make them fit 100%) Also done a complete timing belt change in the driveway in 15hrs (first time attempting to do something so tedious)

March 2010, I bought a set of 17" MK5 Goals from a friend of mines Rabbit. Had bought a bike rack right before, so I could haul my bmx around.

See less See more
#145 ·
Pulled the car in the garage Monday morning so I could begin pulling the engine to change the oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, cct gasket, IE manual timing belt kit, NLS block breather adapter plate and clean up all of the oil residue from where everything was leaking.

Luckily I got this thing running right so Im not stranded

#146 ·
Ordered a new shift boot from RedlineGoods and a shift knob from Sickspeed. The boot is really nice quality perforated leather. I may end up painting the shift pattern of the knob with red or white paint. Interior is slowly making its way to an upgrade.

#147 ·
Pick up some wheels for the ole girl last night. Got Some BBS LM's 17x8/9 Et35, but theyre reverse mounted for an et20. Got tires mounted today (225/45/17) and fit them on the car, but they rub like crazy and Im either going to have to raise the car up, which its at 23 3/4 all the way around or face mount the centers to go back to the et35 and play around with spacers.

#149 ·
Thanks, Im very pleased with it.

So I unbolted the centers and face mounted them for an et35 and added 5mm spacers in the rear for an et30. I really liked the look of the reverse mounted, but this way saves me from having to purchase other tires or pulling my quarters. I may end up looking for some 8mm spacers for the rear and move the 5mm's back to the front.

#151 ·
Pushed this ole girl into the garage to pull the engine and get it prepped for the machine shop. I mistakenly didnt break the crank gear loose before disassemble, so now Im scratching my head on how to break it loose, since its the only thing holding me back from getting the crank removed.

When I got the engine pulled, I noticed the oil pan was heavily cracked which explains why a new oil pan came with the car. Engine spun freely, so Im hoping the cylinder bores are good.

#152 ·
Well, the engine build has come to a halt until I can find a new block. Took it down to the machine shop and the owner noticed some cracks where water has froze and busted the block. At least Im not out any money at this point, but on to searching for a new block.

#154 ·
Found out O'rielly Auto Parts could mix auto paint into an aerosol can and ended up spray bombing my other hood, fender and bumper. For what it is, Im very pleased with the outcome for now until I decide to have the whole car resprayed.

#157 ·
A little late, but thanks guys! Kind of gave up on finding another block for a while, but slowly getting back into it. Trying to figure out what route to take with my rear pillars as theyre really sun baked,brittle and have a few cracks. Not sure if I should spread some epoxy over them or fiberglass, which I have never worked with.

#160 ·
Keeping this thing alive. Have been trying to download my albums from Photobucket to upload to Flickr, but Photobucket is being an ass and not allowing me to download them.

Ordered 7yds of Onyx Black Suede material to begin wrapping my headliner, sunroof slider, possible rear deck and pillars. Got to work this morning on cleaning the headliner.

Got the headliner cleaned up, blown off with the air compressor and made a slight modification so the MK4 sunroof switch would fit.

#161 ·
Material arrived this morning, but it was so humid out, I decided not to wrap anything today, in fear of the glue not drying right. I did split the rear c-pillars into 2 pieces in hopes of wrapping them. The b-pillars will get painted as they look like a pain in the ass and I have only seen one set wrapped, but I really didnt like how it was done. Will end up wrapping everything next week while Im off work.

#162 ·
Made some progress today. Got the headliner and the bigger pieces of the rear c pillars wrapped. Started on the L shaped pieces of the c pillars and gave up for a bit until I decide on an easier way to wrap them without puckering up. Have a few small wrinkles in the headliner that Im okay with. Still need to remove the sunroof and A pillars.

#164 ·
#167 ·
Got a lot more done today. Removed the sunroof to wrap the slider. The handle on the slider broke on me as I was trying to remove it. Got the rear deck out, removed the 3rd brake light, speaker grilles and rear seatbelts, which I didnt re install any of those items because it looks so much cleaner and I never have more than 1 other person with me. I got the rear deck, sunroof, headliner, S4 sunvisors and grab handles all installed. Now for pics!

#168 ·
These 2 corners at the sunroof area arent perfect, may color it in with a sharpie.

Not a perfect fitment of the MK4 R32 dome light/sunroof switch, but barely noticeable if youre looking straight up. I need to either paint the visor clips black, or find some from an S4.

Random outside shot from the front showing the removed 3rd brake light.

#171 ·
Decided to order a flocking kit to do my b and small portion of the c pillars that I couldnt get wrapped. Hopefully have that done next week. Im still on the hunt for a driver side a pillar, as the one I received from ebay ended up being a facelift one but their description was pre facelift.

#172 ·
Took a little drive this morning and picked up a mint driver side A pillar and a broken C pillar, which I used to repair mine since it was in better shape. I also trimmed off the areas where the 2 pieces of the C pillar were plastic welded together for a cleaner look. Should have them flocked and installed by next weekend. I didnt bother trying to get the plastic repair real smooth since the flocking will hide it.

#173 ·
Received the flocking kit in the mail on Wednesday, got to work earlier today to finish wrapping my A pillars and then flocked my B and smaller parts of the C pillars, and dual gauge pod. This stuff makes a mess but is easily cleaned up and you can reuse the material that doesnt stick. You really cant use too much on the pieces youre working on as only so much can stick to the glue.