VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Vintage photos....Awesome!

4M views 13K replies 603 participants last post by  gprace 
#1 ·
Vintage pics? Anyone? The more I see the more I get into the photos.

Feed me.

I'll kick this snowball rolling....

See less See more
#2,932 ·
Wow. I had to look twice at this one. That looks just like my mother at that time, and she wore the same kind of swimsuit. :)

#2,940 ·
From our perspective it was on the horizon.

Actually, all the buildings on that street were leveled to make way for the Davison Freeway, I believe the first dug-out expressway in the country. It was built by Henry Ford, at his expense, to get large airplane parts from his Highland Park plant to the assembly point at Willow Run Airport near Ypsilanti, MI. The bridges were built as arches so that there was no center support to obstruct large airplane fuselage and wing assemblies, allowing for clear passage without blocking interactions and constantly raising the mess of overhear wiring typical of the times.

#2,944 ·

#2,950 · (Edited)
that would be quite the photo~!

:p

#2,952 ·

#2,953 ·

1957 Wixom Ford Plant

One of the big problems manufacturers had was not having workers drive the cars they built. Here is a fine example of that this being a Ford plant but not driving the cars you build. In the 90's if you drove a foreign car you could not park the car in the factory parking lot. The picture you see mostly GM cars in a Ford parking lot. When I see all the snow it reminds me why I moved.

#2,958 ·

Windsor Tunnel

'52

#2,959 ·
A picture above reminded me of just how terrific Jaguar E-Types look with wide-whites. They were marketed heavily with them in the beginning, for good reason. It looks "right" wearing white. :)

#2,968 ·
Those look like white walls, just very dirty ones. Picture looks like winter, so maybe...

Did they come with K-H wires? Maybe this guy had a winter set of wheels? Newest car in the pic looks like the 57 Ford, so Id bet the pic winter of 57 or spring of 58.

#2,962 ·
The man driving the Cord above is legendary director Cecil B. DeMille. Many Cords went into the hands of the Hollywood community, helped no doubt by the fact that Errett Cord himself had a palatial mansion in Beverly Hills. These people were his friends and neighbors. :)

#2,965 ·
Love the old school racing!