Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2002 Jetta 1.8t
      04-28-2010 10:56 PM #1
      Does anyone know what wire has constant continuity between the ecu and the tcu?

http://www.instructables.com/i...ewire/

This guy did a tranny swap, and the wires that he states in the write up are no where in the plugs that I have.

Anyone got anything?

Cars
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      04-29-2010 08:10 AM #2
      Alphasenior from TDI club wrote that insructable.

All the info you need is in the following thread. Gbd has a pdf file that explains the wiring well, although there is a mistake or two in it.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/show...abbit

Are you trying to get the cruise control to work, the reverse lights or the start inhibit clutch switch? In other words more info please.

Modified by CoolAirVw at 5:11 AM 4-29-2010

Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Cars
      2002 Jetta 1.8t
      04-29-2010 09:59 AM #3
      I want to get everything to work. The one that I obviously started with was the cruise control which isn't a big deal but I would like to have it all work.

He explains about the grey wire and/ or the yellow/red wire. But neither of those are correct. I only have one grey wire and its a larger wire in the tcu. No yellow/red wire anywhere. Red/yellow, but no yellow/red. Also, there are two orange/black wires that do run to both places. Not sure what to do, so im going to do the continuity check today.

I will check out the thread that you have given me. Thanks

Cars
      04-30-2010 02:29 PM #4
      Each cars wiring colors are slightly different based on year, model and country of manufacture (possibly). YOu have to look at a wiring schematic and understand what your trying to acomplish.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Cars
      2002 Jetta 1.8t
      05-01-2010 10:04 AM #5
      Thanks for the link. A friend and I got the clutch switch to activate the starter to work. The cruise control is a different story. But not such a big deal. Next I need to do the reverse lights.

If anyone looks at the link that coolair sent me, on the cruise control portion they take a pin from 19 on the ecu and I don't have a pin 19. Is there another pin that I should be looking at?

Cars
      1990 1.9t Corrado, 1977 CB550
      05-02-2010 08:50 AM #6
      You have pin 19, there's just no wire coming out of it like the diagram shows.
      What page is that diagram on that we were using the other day?

Cars
      2002 Jetta 1.8t
      05-02-2010 09:18 AM #7
      Its on this page. If you click the tdi link, then there is a word link on the first post. Its where I got the diagram from.

Okay, I have a pin (or place to put a pin) but no wire.

I'm going to have to look through the bentley and find where that wire would go.

Cars
      05-03-2010 02:40 PM #8
      Read the thread! I'm telling you its there. Your just skimming the info wanting someone else to do the legwork for you.

I've done the conversion based on the info in that thread. I assure you its there, but I'm not gonna search the thread for you. Thats your job.

www.KansasCityTdi.com

Cars
      2002 Jetta 1.8t
      05-03-2010 04:46 PM #9
      Hey man, I appreciate the post that you gave me. But I'm not really sure if you understand the situation. On my ecu I really dont have a wire going to pin 19. 1.8t rado and I both were working on it. We both got the clutch inhibator switch working but when it comes to the cruise control most of the info doesn't match up to my car. Unless we are both reading it really wrong. They say on the write up that there is a yellow/red wire in the tcu that should match up with a wire in pin 19 in the ecu. But no such luck because I don't have a wire in that pin.

Also, I sent an email to the OP of that thread and he said that obviously it may be another pin. And that I need to look at the bentley. I can't read wiring diagrams for ****. So I'm SOL.

Cars
      2002 Jetta 1.8t
      05-03-2010 05:06 PM #10
      Coolair.... Something else that I just thought about. You did the swap on a TDI didn't you?

See I had a 2.0 auto gas obviously and put in a 1.8t with manual. SO thats why the thread worked so well for you. (maybe?)

When connecting the cruise control in the TCU. Do you cut two wires and connect them. Than place them into the ECU at hole 66?

Modified by Kx125rider572 at 5:48 PM 5-3-2010

11. 05-04-2010 07:06 PM #11
      You can't look at the procedure for a diesel and expect it to work for your 1.8t conversion. I looked at the wiring diagrams for a DIESEL beetle and it looks to me like they are hooking something up to the input for the clutch vacuum valve switch into the ECM. Which obviously wouldn't be connected to anything because it started as an automatic. This is what the ECM uses to turn off cruise control when you push in the clutch. Pin 19 of the Beetle ECM is connected to the cruise control switch and I don't know how the cruise control still works if you move it to the other pin.

Some questions.
      1.) Was the 1.8t engine already a manual or did it start out as an automatic.
      2.) Did you put the ECM from the 1.8t in your car when you made the swap. If so, did you rewire the whole car. I suppose it is possible but I don't see how the wiring for the 2.0 ECM would be the same for the 1.8t.

12. 05-07-2010 12:56 PM #12
      I am considering starting this process too, i was going to buy a complete 2.0 with a 5speed and swap it in. Would that be possible?

Cars
      05-11-2010 05:41 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Jspoolin2002 View Post
      I am considering starting this process too, i was going to buy a complete 2.0 with a 5speed and swap it in. Would that be possible?
      Yes.

Cars
      05-11-2010 05:43 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Kx125rider572 View Post
      The one that I obviously started with was the cruise control which isn't a big deal but I would like to have it all work.
      You need to start with getting the car running first. I jumped the range sensro wiring to make the car start it was then driveable. Then I made the clutch inhibit switch work because that was safety related. Then I made the reverse lights work because it was easy, then I made the cruise work.