Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      04-21-2010 11:12 PM #1
      These are both hall effect sensor right? It seems a lot of people (including me) just replace parts like these on suspicion.

I'd like a way to test these things. I hate throwing money at problems.

For each of these sensors, what is the hall effect exitation voltage? What is the expected voltage output? Are the sensors sensitive to oil, pollutants, etc?

I'm going to be pulling these apart on my car soon, so as soon as I do some testing I'll do a DIY to make it easy for people in the future.

My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Cars
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      04-21-2010 11:17 PM #2
      On the same note, could I get some volunteers to send in broken cam position sensors and crank position sensors so I can see what made them break?

Did the hall effect IC die? Did the wiring go bad? Did other magnetic stuff get inside the faraday cage and cause you to pick up magnetic noise and in turn...bad readings? Is the connector bad? What causes these to go bad? I hear of people having them die after doing other simple maintenance jobs that are totally unrelated. Hall effect sensors shouldn't be this delicate!

My Build

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

3. 04-21-2010 11:30 PM #3
      I think this weekend I am going to be changing out a CPS and if it turns out it was bad I'd be glad to send it to you so you can do your thing.

Cars
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      04-21-2010 11:53 PM #4
      A good discussion of the various pinouts ...
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4741923
      My Build

5. 05-21-2010 12:37 AM #5
      did you figure it out? I'm interested in ways of testing this...

6. Junior Member
      Cars
      2001 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
      03-21-2014 10:42 AM #6
      *casts resurrection spell*

Hey Groggory, did anything ever come of this? If not, do you still need questionable CPSs for experimentation?

Cars
      The Chariot
      03-21-2014 03:16 PM #7
      When my crank position sensor failed i cut the wiring apart and found the insulation all cracked and flaking off. The harness is shielded wire so the 3 wires were shorting to themselves aswell as the shield.
      ES.AD