VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Back to Golf Country: a second time, with feeling (lifted offroad hatchbacks within)

248K views 264 replies 136 participants last post by  _Growler 
#1 ·
A while back, I made a thread called, if I remember correctly, something like "A Trip to Golf Country," wherein many completely bonkers lifted hatchbacks were posted and a good time had by all.
In fact, it was such a kickass thread that I'm going to rozap myself, and break in TCL v. 2.0.13b with a new thread dedicated to lifted, flared, AWD hatchbacks designed to be driven where no hatchback has ever gone before
Now, a word: we ain't talkin' about no steenking SUVs or crossovers. These are very fine cars and I own one of each, but aside from the occasional badass Forester or Lada Niva, we're talking vehicles like this:

Basically, VW sent 6687 of these little babies off to the Steyr factory with explicit instructions to rip off anything that was weaksauce and bolt up an entire new suspension with welded-tube subframes, some skid plates, a brush guard, and a rear-mounted spare. It even came standard with BFORFLs! This is basically the best VW ever made.
This should be enough to get you started. Subaru forums are a great place to start; Subaru dudes love doing insane **** like this. Criteria are: must be based on a normal production car, must be lifted enough to embarrass Jeeps, must be capable of off-pavement hoon action, fender flares (especially box flares!) and Big ****-Off Rally Fog Lamps optional but very strongly encouraged. 2wd vehicles will be considered on their merits. GO!

Modified by Turbiodiesel! at 8:15 AM 4-11-2010

See less See more
#2 ·
FV-QR

Fiat Panda Cross. It's like a four-door Smart Car with 4WD and lots of clearance. Why would somebody buy a car smaller than a Yaris to go offroading? Who the **** knows?

#111 ·

Fiat Panda Cross. It's like a four-door Smart Car with 4WD and lots of clearance. Why would somebody buy a car smaller than a Yaris to go offroading? Who the **** knows?
Panda 4X4 are surprisingly capable. My parents stay out in the country and their neighbours have one. During the winter snow last year it (along with Defenders) was the vehicle that was able to get through the untreated country roads since all normal type of SUVs were wearing pimped alloys with no-season tyres that couldn't get anywhere.
Allow 5th gear to demonstrate:

For best 'lifted' normal car I have to nominate the 2CV Sahara. Text taken from here as it explains the car much better than I ever could. This is probably where the whole 'lifted' family car began.

In the late 1950s, French oil company Total needed a rugged vehicle for desert exploration. Citroën dispatched recent acquisition Panhard to design a prototype based on the 2CV. The result was the Sahara, fundamentally a 2CV with another engine and gearbox mounted in the trunk, driving the rear wheels.

The rear deck was modified to include an air intake for the fan-cooled engine and the rear carburetor breathed through louvers over the rear wheel wells. The wheels were widened to take 155-15 tires and the rear fenders cut out to accommodate them. Tube bumpers were fitted at both ends and the spare tire was moved into a recess on top of the hood, held down with three straps.

Inside, the driver faced a minimal dash panel with a speedometer, two ignition switches, two red generator lights and two keys. The gearshift was between the front seats, under which sat the fuel tanks, with the filler necks protruding through holes in the doors.

A lever could be used to disengage the rear motor so on smooth roads the car could be driven on the front one alone. It was also possible to lock out the front motor and drive on just the rear one.

#8 ·
Re: Back to Golf Country: a second time, with feeling (gelandegolf)

Quote, originally posted by gelandegolf »

VR6 too.. i came really close to buying that one...
but we couldn't agree on the price..
I bought my Audi instead and 3 months later he mails me that he agrees on my price after all.. but my cash was spend..

i do own a country now, but not remotely as nice as that one..

#10 ·
FV-QR

Not to dirty up the thread unnecessarily with pictures, but would the AMC Eagle qualify?

#12 ·
Re: FV-QR (cougar)

Quote, originally posted by cougar »
Not to dirty up the thread unnecessarily with pictures, but would the AMC Eagle qualify?

Lifted? Check. Hatchback? Check.

#21 ·
Re: FV-QR (Turbiodiesel!)

Quote, originally posted by Turbiodiesel! »
Why would somebody buy a car smaller than a Yaris to go offroading? Who the **** knows?

Why not? A Jeep Wrangler is only 4 inches longer and 1.5 inches wider than a three door Yaris. A Daihatsu Rocky is 2 inches shorter than a Yaris and has a wheelbase that is 11 inches shorter than a Yaris. Both are used extensively for offroading. You don't need a behemoth to enjoy the outdoors.

#24 ·
Re: Back to Golf Country: a second time, with feeling (adrew)

O hai. You rang?

Custom 2" lift F/R

Kumho rally tyres--it was unbelievably noisy and wouldn't do more than 75mph with them mounted (I ended up removing them for daily driving)

Combined with the locking center/rear diffs and the additional ground clearance, though, they made the car basically unstoppable.
I miss that thing so much.

#25 ·
Re: Back to Golf Country: a second time, with feeling (.:FrankRizzo:.)

Quote, originally posted by .:FrankRizzo:. »

Why are those wheels and tires on that car? Looks silly and takes away function.

Because it's his, and uh, can do whatever the hell he wants?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.