Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      04 Jetta GLS 1.8t
      03-23-2010 11:35 PM #1
      **Work in Progress**
      From Forge:This kit allows you to relocate the diverter valve from the hot side of the turbo to the cold side of the intercooler on the VW Golf, SEAT Leon (not Ibiza), Skoda Octavia and Audi A3, TT 1.8T engines of 150 - 180 HP.

By relocating the valve in this way there are two benefits. Firstly, due to operating in lower temperatures the longevity of the valve is increased. Secondly, after relocation, the air that is recirculated back into the intake tract to the turbo will be cooler. Cooler air has a greater density. The greater the density of the charge mix in the cylinder the more power generated on combustion.

This is what we are trying to replacate:

Tools Req'd:
      For the assembly:
      JB Weld
      Screwdrivers
      Metal Applicator (pumpkin carving tool?)
      drill bits capable of penetrating aluminum
      a file or two, preferably one that fits on your drill
      Hacksaw to cut the pipe if necessary
      For install:
      Torx
      Sockets
      Screwdrivers
      Enough tools to remove the bumper, headlight and TB Hose

Parts Req'd:
      Hose Clamps ($8-10 per 10 pack)
      6-10' of 1" radiator hose - $15-20 ($2.69/ft)
      1" plug - $1.50
      1" elbow - $2
      1" threaded steel adapter/bung - $3
      Metal TB replacement pipe - $20 (available on ebay, FYI, these will not fit stock components and can only be used if you replace plumbing, i.e. with a FMIC kit, or if you use just the tb pipe as I am doing)

Total Cost: $40-60 for parts/tools depending on how good you are at finding a bargain. Forge Kit is ~$200 + shipping.

Steps:
      1. Go on the web and order the TB *pipe*, not hose, but metal pipe, maybe in a combo kit.

2. Go on the web and check out what a forge DV replacement TB hose looks like and examine the angle and fitment of the DV flange

3. go to ace hardware and get a 1" plug, 1" 90 degree elbow, both plastic, and a steel or copper 1-1 1/4"x1" NPT threaded hose barb adapter.

4. use drill bits, 3 or 4, upping the size each time, and drill a pilot hole. then drill expanding small holes around the center hole, and work it over extensively with the drill mounted file bit. it takes a while, and I didn't take picks, but I eventually made a nasty, semi-round hole, where I could insert the DV bung at an angle.

5. mix up a bunch of JB weld. lightly sand the hole and remove obvious scraps. position the bung and sorta screw it in to wedge it against the threads at an angle.

6. apply JB weld liberally to seal up the part, and find a suitable place to hang it while the jb weld does the trick: *tip* the JB weld will run if you apply it immediately, let it setup for 20 mins or so to thicken and it will go on smoother.

7. If you're like me, you did a bad job making the hole round, and need to sand and reapply JB weld the next day to thicken it up and secure the bond. Probably not even necessary, but I think it is worth it.

This is what I have so far after the first coat of JB Weld, but I'll re-post as I continue to work on it and do the install.

And the Forge Silicon Kit:

Modified by ypsetihw at 4:26 PM 3-25-2010

ypsetihw :: [face! -_-] :: bandimere spdwy :: 15.503 @ 90.15
      apr 93 :: bkr7e :: hp-3001 :: cone :: n75h :: relo'd forge 007 :: vent'd catch
      .:R knob :: TT lever :: 42dd links :: harness & ground kit :: ecs stg 1 clutch & dogbone
      brembo slots :: hawk hps :: borbet exor 17s :: blue tows :: stubby :: vdo boost

Cars
      04 Jetta GLS 1.8t
      03-25-2010 05:39 PM #2
      More progress . . .

So I finally got the JB weld done and gave it a day to set. In the meantime, I searched high and low for 1" heater hose that would fit the DV and bung on my tb pipe.

NAPA had the hose for $2.69/ft, and I bought 10' worth. I also picked up a 10 pack of hose clamps for .79 cents/each, a 1" plug (for the turbo outlet pipe) and a 1" 90 degree elbow to route the pipe back into the TIP where the DV used to be.

Here's the parts and the new TB pipe mocked up with my old DV attached (my forge 007 is still on the car).

Modified by ypsetihw at 4:06 PM 3-25-2010

.:R knob :: TT lever :: 42dd links :: harness & ground kit :: ecs stg 1 clutch & dogbone

3. 03-26-2010 01:33 AM #3
      watching this one for sure. I have always wanted to do this mod but not have to pay to much for it. Let us know how much of difference you feel after you get it all done and on the car.

Cars
      05 VW GLI 1.8t, 96 VW Golf 2.0, 90 VW Corrado G60
      03-26-2010 01:44 AM #4
      Did something similar with my intercooler piping and used the same threaded metal piece...Great minds think alike. I love it! Great Job!
      PTE 5858 @ 27 psi - 82mm Wisecos - Brute Rods - Supertech Valves w/ Gold Cat Springs - Gonzo BT mafless - Genesis 1000cc G2 Injectors - IECVA1 Cams - IE Adj Cam Gear - Custom Intake w/K&N - HKS SSQV BOV - 42 DD 3" TB Exhaust w/No Cat - Kinetic T3 Manifold - Tial 38mm WG - VF Mounts - Walbro 255 Inline - Fozen Boost FMIC - ECS LW Pullies - I.E. Manifold w/ 80mm TB - Devils Own W/M Stg 2 - HPA SS - WOT Box - FST LW Flywheel - Nitto 555R

Cars
      04 Jetta GLS 1.8t
      03-26-2010 10:52 AM #5
      thanks guys, I hope to have it on the car by next week, just have to wait for some nice weather so that I can drop the bumper. I'll post some details from the install when its done.

Cars
      2005 MK4 GTI 1.8t Murdered out, 2x Corrado G60 , T3 Vanagon
      07-28-2014 02:55 PM #6
      So did this blow up the car or what? I'm curious as to how this turned out. The only thing I'd add is maybe a sweet powder coating. But this is totally legit dude!
      ฿ 1KJjmubpCtLE2jT8VBYNDYd5Hf7LKrocya

07-29-2014 04:06 PM #7
      That JB Weld will break off over time

Cars
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      07-29-2014 05:54 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by JU571N View Post
      But this is totally legit dude!
      JB Weld and legit do not belong in the same sentence.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!