Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. 03-07-2010 04:20 PM #1
      Rokkor Coilovers???? any suggtions are these good...

2. 03-07-2010 08:22 PM #2
      ive been riding on them for about 2500 miles and they were great purchase in my opinion

Cars
      97 TR jetta, 87 jetta, 81 caddy, 95 cbr600
      03-07-2010 09:28 PM #3
      budget coilovers. Will get your car low but overall comfort and quality aren't great.
      Give wildlife a brake! 4TSQ. WV, Almost Heaven. Where are the moose? Save the Frogs!. Save the whales. I birds. Iron City

4. 03-07-2010 11:38 PM #4
      I was going to get a set of these, but realised I care about handling as well as ride height.

Rokkor is good for looks, dont expect much performance.

If you wanna be low for cheap, go rokkor.

If you wanna handle good, save your money or get a good strut/spring set.

I'm feeling like a broken record

Cars
      94 MKIII 8V Jetta, 02 MKIV 1.8T Jetta, 87 16V Scirocco
      03-21-2010 06:26 PM #5
      My stock suspension was shot on my MKIII project car. Rather than spend the money on new Stock equipment and still have it set high (as my son called it, a 4x4) I opted for the Rokkors at the intro price with free shipping. The ride is stiffer, never had a set of midrange or high performance coilovers, but I will tell you for my purposes (I don't race on the infield at TMS), I'm satisfied with the purchase. Here's some before and after pics. The fronts are at 20 threads and the reaers at 25.

Would I put them on my 02 MKIV, probably not. Would go Black Forrest JOM's if my pockets were empty.

You have to decide how you intend to use your car BEFORE you buy, and why do you need to buy!

6. 03-29-2010 02:24 AM #6
      Just installed mine not to shabby def dumps it a lil bouncy but pretty firm no body roll 300 well spent cut bump stops
      Tuckin Tire is Fawkin Fire!

Cars
      01' Jetta 2.0, Mk2 Jetta Wolf, mk2 GTI 16v, mk3 golf city
      03-30-2010 02:44 AM #7
      They definitely go low, but as everyone knows when you go low you sacrifice a comfortable ride. They're bouncy but better than my 19 year old stock shocks.
      Mk2 daily project...

Cars
      82 rabbit conv(dead),87jetta(dead),95golf(justkilled),93jetta(dead),81caddy,94gti
      04-14-2010 10:19 PM #8
      i installed mine drove maybe 2 miles nd broke my drivers axle last nite gettin ready to turn onto my road. ive got 2 inches in the front nd 2.5 in the rear. i installed a good used axle nd drove it around the block didnt beat it nd broke the 1 i just installed. i liked the ride what i got of it. im just frustrated!!!!!

9. Banned
      04-26-2010 09:23 PM #9
      Bouncy as in non-performance or bouncy as in you are bouncing in your seat because it's like an unbreakable brick spring? If cheap = stiff I must buy!

10. 04-27-2010 07:25 PM #10
      Boo to the Haters... These Dollar store coilovers did the trick. I was in a clintch and needed something right away. My 2 front struts were blown and were making alot of noise. The Rokkors were cheap but worked great. I never trusted anything cheaper than Racelands. I dont expect too long of a good ride out of these things but from blown struts to Rokkor. I am smiling

Cars
      97 Jetta GLX; 89 Golf; 88 Jetta; 86 Jetta; 85 Vanagon; 84 318i; 81 Rabbit Cabby; 72 Datsun 521
      05-28-2010 06:39 AM #11
      Just picked up a set of Racelands for MKIII. Bouncy as in stiff. Love em. I've decided that these are basically cheaper brand replacement struts (rock auto stuff) with sportier valving (but nothing fancy), stiffer spring rates, and height adjustability; which is perfect for a lot of us on here who want a better stance and sportier feel (less luxurious). There's no reason people should think these are just going to fall apart if used in this way. The regular $1000 plus coil overs were originally designed for the track, where fine tuning, indestructibility, and lightweight alloys are the priorities.

Use em for what they're meant for and they're great

Cars
      2001 Jetta GLS AZG
      06-01-2010 12:55 AM #12
      I hate my racelands.

Cars
      65 Bug,66 Bus, 89 Cabby, 08 Jetta
      06-08-2010 05:58 PM #13
      Dropped on Rokkor coil overs.... I still have about 3 or so inches I could go down but the tires wont let me ...time for 13's !!!
      And I must say I am impressed with the ride !!!!!!

Cars
      2003 jetta 20v. 1991 12v gti.
      06-09-2010 06:36 PM #14
      I've had my rokkors' on for about two weeks and love them. Now that they are settling in they ride really good i definitely cant complain for 300$

Cars
      65 Bug,66 Bus, 89 Cabby, 08 Jetta
      06-15-2010 12:35 AM #15
      Now I can add this...I went to a VW show this weekend and went into the mountains of Arkansas all in all a round trip of just over 450 miles..I can say I LOVE THE ROKKOR COIL OVERS !!!

This is all my opinion...not to stiff not to bouncy but exactly what I was hoping for, the Golf was a blast to drive in the mountains and around all the curves..I could not be happier with the purchase !!!

Cars
      2002 Jetta Wagon
      06-15-2010 02:54 AM #16
      I have had my rokkors on now for a few months... and they were deff. a good buy! The only problem was that i own a mkIV, and they are difficult to put more than 3 or 4 inches down.... with a tie rod, frame, and sway bar scrape, I have fixed the sway and am still tweaking with the ride height. Right now im bottomed out in the back.. 8 threads from the bottom on front and they ride very nice. Not to mention the good customer service dept and warranty! Some of us have kids, and these allow us to have a little fun too!!!

17. 06-15-2010 04:20 AM #17
      just put them on yesterday and love em. i have a mk4 and my only complaint is wanting to get the rear lower, anyone else with a mk4 that has any ideas??? was thinking about taking the adjustable part out of the rear so they sit lower, is that ok...?

PS best 300 bucks spend on a car ever

18. Member
      Cars
      2000 Jetta 2.0L 5speed
      10-05-2010 03:56 PM #18
      what grease are you guys putting on the threads to keep the adjuster plates from rusting up? or so iv heard this is a problem on most coil overs. or maybe just the cheaper ones? idk.

im thinking of going Rokkor on my MK4 jetta 2.0L, its got to be better then OEM setup with 170+k on them. and im not looking to lower the car much. its a daily driver car for me. whats the difference between stock ride height and Rokkors highest setting?

iv read a lot of people talking about bouncing, is this because there lowering the car all the way down?

anyone on have these on there car for over a year? thoughts?

Cars
      10-06-2010 05:06 PM #19
      For protecting the threads you can use neverseize or marine grease to keep debris out of the threads. Before you adjust them use a wire brush to clean the threads out and you shouldn't have an issue. You question about the bouncing, the lower you go with rokkor or the such, the more bounce you will encounter. Most people trim the bumpstops to try and remedy this issue.

20. Member
      Cars
      2000 Jetta 2.0L 5speed
      10-15-2010 02:37 PM #20
      [IMG][/IMG]

Cars
      98 GTI
      10-15-2010 04:54 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Blown7.3lps View Post
      what grease are you guys putting on the threads to keep the adjuster plates from rusting up? or so iv heard this is a problem on most coil overs. or maybe just the cheaper ones? idk.
      Boeshield T-9: Corrosion Protectant and Waterproof Lubricant

Can be found at Sears.

Nothing Leaves Stock NLS
      5780 Main St. Center Valley, PA - (610)282-5487
      State Inspection & Oil Changes - Custom Turbo Setups - Engine Work - Welding - Fabrication

22. Junior Member
      Cars
      92 gti , 66 bug 67 bug 72 bug 74 bug
      10-22-2010 04:39 PM #22
      ive had mine on my mk2 golf for about 3 weeks and the rides great ive even took them to 135mph and they handel great best part about it is im only running a 195-50-14 tire stock sway bars and i only have the rear strut bar ..... lets c wat happends wen i put on some 15x10 rims

Cars
      81 rabbit diesel 4dr, 00 golf gls tdi 4dr
      10-27-2010 12:07 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Civiceater1 View Post
      Boo to the Haters... These Dollar store coilovers did the trick. I was in a clintch and needed something right away. My 2 front struts were blown and were making alot of noise. The Rokkors were cheap but worked great. I never trusted anything cheaper than Racelands. I dont expect too long of a good ride out of these things but from blown struts to Rokkor. I am smiling
      I bought the car with cut springs on OE struts. LR strut had blown and leaked all its fluid, so these were an inexpensive alternative to new oe struts, while still keeping the lower ride height.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakillerbug201 View Post
      ive had mine on my mk2 golf for about 3 weeks and the rides great ive even took them to 135mph and they handel great best part about it is im only running a 195-50-14 tire stock sway bars and i only have the rear strut bar ..... lets c wat happends wen i put on some 15x10 rims
      Installed on my mk2 golf 4dr (with a stripped interior, [for cleaning/restoration] driver's seat only) and so far have driven about 120 miles or so, mixed city/highway driving. Around town in construction with uneven lanes, and roads riddled with pot holes the rear is so stiff its bouncy, also when encountering dips on better roads there is some bounce. So I'm not entirely sure if its completely due to spring stiffness, or if perhaps its the dampening rate. Entering the highway to highway onramp, I have increased entrance, through, and exit speeds. Additionally from the driver's position I can't detect any body roll through lane shift/turns/etc. Stock front sway bar, R32 rear control arm bush, mkiii vr6 upper front strut mounts/bearing/plate. When installing the coilovers I cut fr/rr bump stops in half, and fronts still have 40 threads, and rears still have 50 threads. My method of presetting the locks was to have the spring locked against the strut hat when the strut was at its full extension until it was difficult to turn by hand.

--- Any ideas on adjusting spring pre-load to possilby have a softer rear? ---
      2003 Jetta GLX VR6 - sold
      1984 Cabriolet Wolfsburg - traded
      1981 Cabriolet - traded
      1986 Golf GL sold

Cars
      Mk4 2.0T on megasquirtII
      11-13-2010 03:22 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by slowMK3GTI View Post
      just put them on yesterday and love em. i have a mk4 and my only complaint is wanting to get the rear lower, anyone else with a mk4 that has any ideas??? was thinking about taking the adjustable part out of the rear so they sit lower, is that ok...?

PS best 300 bucks spend on a car ever
      ive had mine for about 3 months now. i love them. they are a bit bouncy but for the price they work really good. if you go all the way down. make sure you remove your sway bar and make sure you have enough money to buy a few axles lol joke aside, you can remive the adjustable part. thats what i did on mine and it will give you an extra inch or so. i'm finally going to take my car to the track this weekend and we will see how everything goes. of course im not going to be running them all the way down. i dont want to blow another axle plus when they are all the way down you dont very good handling.

25. Junior Member
      Cars
      12-28-2010 12:55 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6jettajay View Post
      I bought the car with cut springs on OE struts. LR strut had blown and leaked all its fluid, so these were an inexpensive alternative to new oe struts, while still keeping the lower ride height.

Installed on my mk2 golf 4dr (with a stripped interior, [for cleaning/restoration] driver's seat only) and so far have driven about 120 miles or so, mixed city/highway driving. Around town in construction with uneven lanes, and roads riddled with pot holes the rear is so stiff its bouncy, also when encountering dips on better roads there is some bounce. So I'm not entirely sure if its completely due to spring stiffness, or if perhaps its the dampening rate. Entering the highway to highway onramp, I have increased entrance, through, and exit speeds. Additionally from the driver's position I can't detect any body roll through lane shift/turns/etc. Stock front sway bar, R32 rear control arm bush, mkiii vr6 upper front strut mounts/bearing/plate. When installing the coilovers I cut fr/rr bump stops in half, and fronts still have 40 threads, and rears still have 50 threads. My method of presetting the locks was to have the spring locked against the strut hat when the strut was at its full extension until it was difficult to turn by hand.

--- Any ideas on adjusting spring pre-load to possibly have a softer rear? ---

Ive also got my car with cut springs only thing was they was already lowering springs and i am also running my car with a gut int the trick to rokkor coils for the rear when u gut the car is to remove the smaller spring in the rear coil now that u don't have the extra junk in the trunk the coils don't have to hold up 300lbs/in and more like 270lbs/in dont forget wen u remove the smaller coil to readjust ur car to its car high dat was set to before u remover the coil exp before removed car was set at 2-1/2 in after removed 2-1/2 in ........................

now when u do dis u have to get ur car as close to 50-50 as possible so go get ur car waded you want each tire or if ur running on a budget go to a truck stop with a weight station most do ull want to get the whole car then both front tires and then both rear tires then left side and then right if u need help u can ask the clerk he'll let u no what u can do den i can give u a adjustment to start u off n dont worry bout $ to weight ur car on a scale at a truck stop is about 13$ for 3 weight in

Cars
      2000/VW/Jetta 1.8T
      12-28-2010 12:52 PM #26
      also can't write a coherent sentence with proper or actually any grammar
      The two are definitely correlated.

Cars
      2.0 2000 NB
      12-28-2010 03:53 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by gehr View Post
      .........have you ever notice the people that put these crap parts on their cars and think they are great, also can't write a coherent sentence with proper or actually any grammar!?!
      have you noticed that the people that talk all the **** about these crap parts don't actually have them on their cars and make judgments on them based almost completely on their price?
      Have you also noticed that the people that DO actually have them usually have fairly positive things to say?

I think as long as people's expectations are in order there's nothing wrong with choosing a cheap coilover. I got these, and did not expect improved handling necessarily, nor the most comfortable ride. I wanted adjust-ability to go low, or less low.

They've taken me to from Connecticut to Pittsburgh and back with no problem, and they aren't even that uncomfortable after the springs settle.

The only issues I've had were from an amateur install...Which has just encouraged me to learn more.

They aren't B&Gs, but I'm ok with that And if other people are too, let them be...

Cars
      2000/VW/Jetta 1.8T
      12-28-2010 07:25 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by AbuNigel View Post
      have you noticed that the people that talk all the **** about these crap parts don't actually have them on their cars and make judgments on them based almost completely on their price?

Have you also noticed that the people that DO actually have them usually have fairly positive things to say?
      Not entirely true. I have driven cars with both JOM and Rokkor coils. They handle and ride like crap IN COMPARISON to cars with 'proper/quality' suspensions. This isn't based on price, it is based on experience. Secondly, these coils come with limited 3 year (or less) warranties... Koni's have lifetime warranties, that is a fact.

I would bet that the people that claim that JOM and Rokkors are GREAT coilovers have NEVER driven a car with, for example, a Shine suspension or any car that is actually a good handling car.

They just don't know what a good handling car feels like or they simply don't care.

Finally, I like to use proper grammar and punctuation.

Cars
      12-28-2010 08:00 PM #29

Cars
      1983 gti carb'ed 16v swap 2001 audi tt 225 AG
      12-29-2010 02:30 AM #30
      jom coilover are as low as i will go on the poll of coilovers anything less is just a waste of money

search for jom suspension and i know there is a very large thread of people backing them. but i must state you can not compare them to fk or koni and other like brands

not to mention cheaper brand may feel good and ride well but wait till after they have been broken in and then compare them to higher brands huge difference
      83 rabbit GTI for sale 16v swap running dell 40 to many parts to list send pm $2700obo

31. Junior Member
      Cars
      12-29-2010 01:16 PM #31
      ppl talk alot of crap about cheap part and swear there parts on there car are 10x better because everyone has them and there a" name brand " parts if you ask me its all in the driver and not the parts that was put on a car

you cant run 10s if the as$ behind the wheel cant drive
      Last edited by Dakillerbug201; 12-29-2010 at 01:18 PM.

32. Junior Member
      Cars
      12-29-2010 01:50 PM #32
      its an example
      Last edited by Dakillerbug201; 12-29-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Cars
      2000/VW/Jetta 1.8T
      12-29-2010 07:38 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by rubber-side-down View Post
      JOM coilover are just a waste of money.
      Fixed. I even added some capital letters and punctuation. You are welcome.

Cars
      01 BT A4
      12-31-2010 03:08 PM #34
      Wow.... seriously it's a opinion on how cheaper coilovers ride. Get over it you people who pay 1400+ for your suspension! I have and do run high end coilovers on 4 of my 6 cars. Including H&R and bilstein. The lowest I've owned is JOM. Whenever I switch cars with my friend with a mk4 with racelands I love it. They ride just as good if not better the my H&R set on my BMW. Get over yourselves. My next set will be either these or racelands. So what, if you want to pay a good amount for a good name on your coilovers. That doesn't mean that just because you prefer high end that anyone who runs low end is a dumb a$$ or stupid and doesn't know anything about cars.

And were on a forum... were not in English class. Quit crying about grammer and spelling... just stop complaining in general. Just shut your computer off and walk away if you can't handle reading these threads.

Anyways. Rokkors may be my next choice or Racelands. Either way I'm sure I'll be happy with them because a lot of the cars in my area run them. And NO they're not poor, disabled, or dumb people who know nothing about cars.

Cars
      2000/VW/Jetta 1.8T
      12-31-2010 10:28 PM #35
      That post just made my night. I think I just pissed myself laughing. I have three quick comments:

Seriously it's an opinion on how cheaper coilovers ride. Get over it you people who pay 1400+ for your suspension!
      I dont have $1400 coilovers on any of my cars, yet I still know 'budget coilovers' are junk.

That doesn't mean that just because you prefer high end that anyone who runs low end is a dumb a$$ or stupid and doesn't know anything about cars.
      Using junk coilovers shows that you know nothing about suspension tuning or handling. I don't necessarily use 'high end' everything, but I do use QUALITY parts that ENHANCE/IMPROVE the handling of my cars.

And were on a forum... were not in English class. Quit crying about grammer and spelling
      I'm not crying and this may not be English class, however displaying your poor, uneducated communication (spelling and grammar) skills while trying to make your point in a typed/written format doesn't help you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast