VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Drilling Wheels (widening lug holes)

75K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  toplessvw 
#1 ·
Ok Ive been hearing mixed answers about drilling rims.
I have a set of aluminum rims and I need the lug holes in them widened. I do not need new holes drilled. So people have said to just go ahead and buy a bit and use a household drill while others have said to take it into a shop and have them widened...
Reason is because I have a set of wobble bolts and the lug holes are smaller than the bolts.
So what is the real answer? Can I really use a bit (thats bigger than the lug hole) to make the holes slightly wider? Or will the rims end up cracking if I go with that option?
Im not a noob with handling tools but im no mechanical engineer.

#16 ·
so your wheel lug holes are 12mm and you need them 10 14mm?
i drilled out a set of aluminum wheels not too long ago from1 2-14mm. really easy. I used a stepped drill
Did you just use that center bit and go all the way through with it? What size do I need, putting monoblocks on a b5 a4. Sorry for bumping an old thread. Do I need to widen the seat for the lug bolt to sit on or is the taper of it still enough to occupy the 14mm bolt?

#10 ·
Re: Drilling Wheels (audi666)

Quote, originally posted by audi666 »
so your wheel lug holes are 12mm and you need them 10 14mm?
i drilled out a set of aluminum wheels not too long ago from1 2-14mm. really easy. I used a stepped drill

I'm doing the same thing. The bolts holes are only 12mm, I need to get them bigger so I could put 14mm wheel bolts that are NON wobble bolts.
What size of step bit should I take? Are step bit better than regular bits? Should I use drilling lubrication when I drill?

#14 · (Edited)
Okay, I figured it out and made mine work. It costs about $73 or so for the drill bits and lube. This will let your Mercedes wheels that have 12mm lug holes accept 14mm Audi/VW lugs.

**I don't know if this method will work for other wheels or not!!

What you will need:
9/16" steel drill bit
3 Pack of stepped drill bits (the ones pictured above)
Bottle of drilling lube

Assuming you have these:
3/8" drive drill
1/4" drive drill

You will only use the fat stepped drill bit. What you are doing is starting the hole then then use the drill bit to drill all the way through. It takes about 30 minutes, but once your done you can enjoy your new wheels on your car!

#25 · (Edited)
the way that video does this jobn simply stupid, and a waste of time. Using a countersink bit to drill a hole bit is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. A drill bit will self center in the whole leaving you with a whole in the right spot. Buy two high quality hss drill bits and do each hole in two steps 15mm then 16mm and then take a larger countersink tool and enlarge the seat a bit if you feel the need to, just make sure the counter sink matches the angle of the cone seat.

btw this is how a machine shop would do it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.