Fourtitude.com - So, did you ride today? (Details!)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 291 of 291 FirstFirst ... 191241281287288289290291
    Results 7,251 to 7,260 of 7260
      Cars
      Lighten up Francis
      03-20-2017 01:22 PM #7251
      Quote Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
      Ninja edit: I put this route into route builder this morning. The iPhone 5s crap estimate was like 1500 ft. The route builder estimate ended up being like 2300 ft. Ellll ohhhh ellll. Time to buy a bike computer. If it's less, fine. If it's more, fine. Just tired of not having a consistent way to know.
      what do you mean the iphones estimate?
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      Lighten up Francis
      03-20-2017 01:25 PM #7252
      Shorty to beat some rain. It wouldve been better stats were it not for all the stop and go and dawdling behind slow pokes waiting for a clearing to get around. I was really laying it down for the most part.

13.02 miles
      42:44 moving time
      18.3mph
      247w NP - I was thinking this was gonna be more like 265-275 but i guess 247 with tons of stops is probably right.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

4. 03-20-2017 05:15 PM #7253
      First day of spring and I got my first road ride of 2017 in. Nothing crazy, about 15 miles but it was nice to get out on the bike. Even got in about 7 miles of XC skiing in today too!

Spring 2017 by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

Spring by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
      Last edited by geoffp; 03-20-2017 at 07:06 PM.

5. 03-21-2017 09:05 AM #7254
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      what do you mean the iphones estimate?
      The 5S does not have a barometric sensor. Therefore, along the route there's an interval in which the GPS updates the location and Strava uses "known" or "estimated" elevations for those points. From there you get elevation change.

The iphone 6 has a baro sensor. Therefore it will work the same as a bike computer GPS does for elevation.

Example.....1200 ft difference, same route.

Planned route:
      https://www.strava.com/routes/7034731

Actual route ridden: I expect this to be more accurate
      https://www.strava.com/activities/779100237

Cars
      Ghetto35
      03-21-2017 09:30 AM #7255
      The 5S does not have a barometric sensor. Therefore, along the route there's an interval in which the GPS updates the location and Strava uses "known" or "estimated" elevations for those points. From there you get elevation change.

The iphone 6 has a baro sensor. Therefore it will work the same as a bike computer GPS does for elevation.
      My current bike computer has a barometric altimeter, and it's not stellar. It's older, sure, but still. Since it depends on something that often changes to measure a constant (and has no way to know what the change/weather is doing in real time), it's not always that great. Elevation routinely artificially ramps up/down over the course of the ride. My old GPS-only computer was dead consistent. A Strava "elevation correction" fixes the weirdness with my current GPS, but also largely negates the point of the barometric sensor. I mainly bought it because I'm a nerd and wanted to see live elevation info, but it even sort of sucks that that. It can be really laggy and doesn't always register smaller climbs. I assume that's mostly a function of it being old, so maybe newer setups are more responsive.

More reading:
      https://www.singletracks.com/blog/gp...dedicated-gps/

Cars
      Lighten up Francis
      03-21-2017 09:52 AM #7256

Example.....1200 ft difference, same route.

Planned route:
      https://www.strava.com/routes/7034731

Actual route ridden: I expect this to be more accurate
      https://www.strava.com/activities/779100237
      For the most part I think that the mapped points are more accurate anyhow. A spot on a road doesn't change but the atmosphere, especially here, can have very different microclimates where things are all wacky.

Now your ride there with a ton of little spiky hills is going to be difficult for a barometer to pickup, you're changing like 50-75 feet a hill and that's well within the margins of error. If every little hill is in the margins it's very easy for anything to be way off.

And, while elevation is elevation, riding this kind of rollers isn't really 'climbing' per se so I wouldnt worry about the elevation anyhow. These are little sprintervals.
      Last edited by jnm2.0t; 03-21-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Cars
      Lighten up Francis
      03-21-2017 06:20 PM #7257
      Gave it a bit of a push today.

19.24 miles
      1,020 feet
      19.4 avg mph
      254w NP

9. Yesterday 08:22 AM #7258
      Why do teenage vagrants have to ruin everything? I took the little hump to the old overlook for a picture, get up there, and they've installed some kind of motion detected voice siren. Only sign is for no parking and a teeny no trespass sign over in the grass lot by the TV station tower. Looking online, they had a bunch of junkies up there tagging stuff for so long they put that in.

Rode off and parked it on the descent for a pic.

Either way 2500 ft and 18 mi (2600 ft if you add back where I pooped myself with the siren and left without hitting play).

From August last year to March this year, I cut 10 minutes off the steeper side. From near dead last to almost middle of the pack. This time zero stopping on the climbs. Last time there was. The steeper side was into the wind a small bit and CVS side with the wind a small bit.

This was on an empty stomach. Rode down for work in the AM and had lunch at noon and rode at 5:30 or 6:00. I'm sure a few watts were lost for that. But I had no idea when or if I'd get out of work to go, just took the bike just in case.

Very pretty with the leaves not grown back in the trees, you can see a lot better the view around you.

The climb on the Furman side is tougher, the descent on the CVS side is much more fun.

https://www.strava.com/activities/91...ts/22208402381

Cars
      Ghetto35
      Yesterday 11:08 AM #7259
      ^ Looks like a solid bit of climbing. I need to do some of that.

I missed the fact that a storm rolled through the night before last, so I got the Top Fuel all nice and clean. The trail started out bone dry, and for the most part was perfect, but there were some really muddy, fast, splattery holes here and there. So, now my bike is nice and dirty again. Oh well. That's what they're for.

https://www.strava.com/activities/910711111

Side note: I've been trying to track down inconsistent shifting on this bike. Last week, I discovered that the strands inside of the rear shifter housing had pulled through the 3 of the 4 ferrules. Some almost an inch. Weird, and I've never seen that before. That was causing a lot of excess friction - enough to overcome the spring in the derailleur and not allow it to move freely though its travel. OK, problem found. So, new housings and cable. Perfecto in the stand. The ride last night? Back to the weirdness. I haven't looked at it again, so who knows. I did use the same kind of crappy Jagwire aluminum ferrules with the new housing, so maybe I need to switch to brass on this bike. I also tore off the useless Trek-installed chainstay protector and replaced it with an old spiral-wound tube. The chain wasn't even hitting the protector anyway, as evidenced by the numerous chips in the paint and rattle-can ride noise over rough terrain.

When I wasn't shifting though, it was surprisingly great. Very smooth... I guess getting the fork set up properly does that.

Cars
      Lighten up Francis
      Yesterday 04:33 PM #7260
      knot in my quad was back today and made it uncomfortable to push with the left leg.

21.36 miles
      1:09 moving
      1257 ft
      18.6 mph
      245w NP

Page 291 of 291 FirstFirst ... 191241281287288289290291