Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2012 A3 TDI S-line
      07-20-2009 04:33 PM #1

I have been dealing with vibrations when my MKIV tiptronic Jetta's engine is cold.

The vibrations that I'm experiencing are listed below after a cold start, happens chronically:

- Reverse (Almost always apparent when the engine is cold, but once you are in 1st gear and give it a little gas the vibration goes away)

- Idling (it occasionaly happens in park, and sometimes just goes away as the idle settles down...never happens when engine is warm)

- After Initial "take-off" (goes away and doesn't come back until engine is cold again)

- As might be expected, the problem gets worse in the winter months.

- One time the vibration was so bad the engine just stalled on me & had to turn it back on again (It displayed a check engine light briefly then went away) - This was months ago and hasn't happened since.

I have been told this may be an engine mount problem. If anyone has input on how I can tell if this is true without lifting the engine off & seeing if a mount is worn, I am all ears. I doubt worn engine mounts would make my engine stall out, but It definitely could be part of the problem.

I have recently (after stall problem) been to a shop where:
      - Flushed all fluids (brakes, trans, power steering, etc.)
      - had the Mass Air Flow sensor MAF cleaned/checked

After the service, I didn't have any problems for a few days, then it started happening again. One other note from the service, my trans fluid was almost black, though at 85K miles I'm not sure it was ever changed.

Thanks for your wise VW knowledge and reading my long post!

Cars
      2012 A3 TDI S-line
      08-04-2009 11:19 AM #2
      bump. anyone have anything similar?

Cars
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      08-04-2009 11:49 AM #3
      I'm not saying this is your problem, but when I read it, I'm simply thinking, "his engine runs bad".
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Cars
      2012 A3 TDI S-line
      08-04-2009 11:55 AM #4
      Thanks for the post. I know it was a general response, but do you think it's really an Engine problem or more of a Transmission problem?

Then there's the engine mount idea...

Anyway, Just wondering if anyone else fixed a similar problem by replacing a mount, etc...

Cars
      millions of cars
      11-09-2009 12:35 PM #5
      maybe you should try move motor with ur hands if it moves then mount is bad and a tune up might help?

6. 12-06-2009 09:00 PM #6
      Same everything you have going on man. I also have been having trouble with rough shifts in 3rd and 4th for since I can remember.

I have checked the MAP, MAF, CTS, o2 sensors, replaced some of the PCV system, checked for vacuum leaks and cat. Currently, the thermostat and engine mounts are what I am investigating. If you hear of anything or have any good luck, please reply back on this thread. I will do the same.

Cars
      2012 A3 TDI S-line
      12-28-2009 03:06 PM #7
      Thanks for the post, the problem has been mostly dormant for me for the past few months, maybe once week i get some vibrations at idle. We'll see how it survives this winter.

I'm taking it in for some service tomorrow, so I'll see if the tech's have any suggestions.

8. 01-11-2010 04:05 AM #8
      I have exactly the same problem as you described it, I'm going to change the thermostat that is stuck open and see what happens, although it's a bitch to get to it.

Cars
      2012 A3 TDI S-line
      01-11-2010 07:53 AM #9
      cool. let me know if that helps.

btw, the techs didn't have any suggestions for me. They replaced a leaky CV boot (since I had a 20% off coupon for the stealership, it was downgraded to a decent shop price).

They did tell me my timing belt is cracked, so I'll have someone replace the engine mounts for good measure when I get the belt done (I saw the DIY on the timing belt and said no thanks to that job) since the mounts are another "?" with the shaking.

10. 01-14-2010 07:02 AM #10
      Yeah, I remeber when I did the timing belt/water pump by my self it wasn't a pleasan't job, anyways if you are going to replace the timing belt you may as well replace the water pump, I got mine for about 30 bucks from ebay, good luck.

Cars
      2012 A3 TDI S-line
      01-14-2010 07:38 AM #11
      Yeah, i bought the MJM Autohaus kit for $249 that includes the water pump, tensioner, all the belts & stuff. Hopefully the parts will arrive this weekend!

12. 01-15-2010 03:43 PM #12
      well i work for a VW dealership...certified in audi and vw..1st off I have seen trans issues fixed several times by just performing a trans service.. preferably BG dont use the flush though sometimes it does more harm than good...just the fluid and new strainer/filter...although i have a prob with the mechanic telling you the fluid is black when this is a sealed system and u would physically have to drain some trans fluid out to see...or he didnt really check it...i never drain fluid to test it because that little bit you lose could make a difference in how the trans performs... second it very well could be your motor mounts going bad or misfiring could cause the motor to vibrate

Cars
      2012 A3 TDI S-line
      01-19-2010 10:23 AM #13
      Thanks for the input! I'm having my timing belt replaced today, and I bought new engine mounts along with the timing belt kit from MJM Autohaus (good guys!), and the shop is going to throw them on too.

So I will have it back tonight or tomorrow, and will post more info once I get to drive it again. here's hoping ...!

14. 01-27-2010 11:04 PM #14
      Any news?

Cars
      2012 A3 TDI S-line
      01-28-2010 07:58 AM #15
      sorry, there's been "complications" with my jetta. Timing belt and engine mounts (right and left) were changed last week. It drove a bit better, but I still felt some vibration. It was suggested by the shop to replace the dogbone trans mount, since they thought this one supported most of the engine weight & could be worn out. SO a call to ECS Tuning got a new OE dogbone & the car was back in the shop yesterday to get that installed.

Coincidentally, the check engine light came on two days ago (which turned out to be due to the shop not tightening the bolt on the tensioner, which stripped the threads on one of the cylinder heads) Not good! SOOO he's either replacing my head for free, or sending it somewhere to fill the hole w/aluminum & rethreaded. Updates as they come...

16. 01-28-2010 05:42 PM #16
      Sorry to hear that man. Good luck!

Cars
      2012 A3 TDI S-line
      01-29-2010 10:35 PM #17
      Word.

I got the car back today. All is fixed, but I haven't driven it yet. All mounts are now installed, so I will get a test drive tomorrow!

18. 02-12-2010 05:12 AM #18
      How does it feel now?

Cars
      2012 A3 TDI S-line
      02-12-2010 09:47 AM #19
      Sorry, we've been snowed in for a week and I've been taking the SUV instead.

Anyhoo, I did drive it, and the vibration at startup is VERY subdued, I can only feel it every now and then. Secondly, it drives a little more "pinned down" than it had previously (even though I only used the OEM dogbone bushings)

I still have clunky shifting (which I think is just a trans issue & separate from my startup issues), but the vibration is much better!

If you're having significant shaking at startup, I would definitely recommend replacing your dogbone/transmission mount first, then go from there on the other mounts. I'm not sure I really needed to replace the 2 others.

20. n00b
      Cars
      02 Jetta 1.8t
      10-23-2012 10:23 AM #20
      I went to a vw audi shop and they sent my to a very good trans shop to see why my car was shifting hard into 3 and 4th and they gave me to possible things that could fix it. One was the transmission control module. Apparently vw made an updated TCM so im going to have it replaced this week. Ill let you know how if anything changes. I drive the same exact car. 02 1.8t GLS auto with tiptronic.

Cars
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      10-23-2012 06:30 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by H8honda View Post
      well i work for a VW dealership...certified in audi and vw..1st off I have seen trans issues fixed several times by just performing a trans service.. preferably BG dont use the flush though sometimes it does more harm than good...just the fluid and new strainer/filter...
      Nice post here... Works for a vw dealership... Certified in audi and VW! I'd like to see him change that filter he mentions there.

09G filter is internal and not changeable without removing trans and disassembling it.

I guess thats what you should expect from a Vw tech named "honda".
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com