VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

GMC Yukon GT/Chevy Tahoe Sport

80K views 69 replies 39 participants last post by  adrew 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what the differences are? At what point did they switch from the old style interior to the "updated" interior that didn't look like it was out of a farmers pickup?
Do all of them have the spare tire in the rear cargo compartment? I absolutely hate this feature, is there any way around it?
I'm assuming they are pretty reliable since they are based on GM pickups.

See less See more
#27 ·
Re: GMC Yukon GT/Chevy Tahoe Sport (mikegilbert)

While I don't usually like "bling", I came across this on another forum.
This kid bought a supercharged 97 Yukon for $3k 2 months ago and now wants to sell it for $14k. He pretty much just got super lucky and these were his original posts when thinking about buying it (edited for clarity).
Quote »
next week im suppose to go be checking out and picking up my yukon. its done up pretty well, and its a great price, but it has some issues.
the guy says the transfer case and rear differential need work and the truck will be towed. It only has 89,000 miles and has a whipple supercharger installed. he also said it needs exhaust work. also, are the differentials and transfers case a known problem or weak area on these trucks? im guessing the guy was trying to do burnouts or something and ate the diff because the charger and the rims on the truck are somewhat large.
exhaust was just rusted, the truck is not that beat, only a mere 89,000 miles on a 97, extremely clean.
$3000! it has suede headliner, 14 inch tv in the back, custom leather captain chairs to replace the back bench seat, 2 jl w6 10's, all jl speakers, kenwood touchscreeen and 23" oz rims

Turns out it's this truck:

Modified by BltByKrmn at 2:52 PM 12-2-2008

#29 ·
Re: GMC Yukon GT/Chevy Tahoe Sport (nobledub)

Quote, originally posted by nobledub »
What about a Yukon or a tahoe is sporty or anything similar to a GT car... http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

No worse than VW slapping GLX tails on a 2.slow Jetta and calling it a GT.

#30 ·
Re: GMC Yukon GT/Chevy Tahoe Sport (nobledub)

Quote, originally posted by nobledub »
What about a Yukon or a tahoe is sporty or anything similar to a GT car... http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

What about a Corrado is Sport or Luxury?

BTW, I would like to tell you about cash gifting . . . .

#31 ·
Re: GMC Yukon GT/Chevy Tahoe Sport (WhiteRat)

Seems like this topichas been covered pretty well. I will only add that these trucks are RIDICULOUSLY expensive for what you get. They still share the weaknesses of the other trucks (rust being a primary concern, brakes are another) but have inexplicably high resales. They do look awesome though. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I tried very hard to find a reasonable one, and gave up. For less money, I was able to score my 2500 454 Suburban, which struck me as a better buy (and it has been).
The Yukon GT and Tahoe Sport were basically cosmetic upgrades, but did include Bilstein shocks and very meaty tires.
Weak points are rust, brakes, and wipers that go all wonky. The fix for the wipers is a $10 circuit board that takes maybe 5 minutes to change out.
My truck has been fantastic and has not needed anything aside from basic maintenance. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, and in fact I probably WILL when the time comes.

#33 ·
Re: GMC Yukon GT/Chevy Tahoe Sport (Wes@motivemag)

Quote, originally posted by Wes@motivemag »

I dunno, I've had both (a 1992 C1500 and a 1999 K3500 dually) and while the later dash certainly had more craptastic materials, it had cupholders, rotary climate knobs (try operating the pushbuttons with work gloves), and a standard-sized radio with - gasp! - a CD player.
The K3500 also had a NV4500HD manual transmission, with a three-foot gearshift sticking out of the floor and a granny first. Gawd, I miss that truck.

i see what you mean about the functionality of the old radios w/ their small buttons, but i just can't get over the coolness factor of that old setup, espeically for back then. i've had too much experience with the crappy late 90's gm stuff, i'm glad i don't have to deal with it anymore

#34 ·
5 years later and prices on these things are STILL insanely high. :banghead:

#35 ·
not only this but the 1500 trucks, suburbans and 4 door tahoes

These trucks are tanks and will run forever.

My dad's 98 Suburban has 190k on it. Has some piston slap and the interior is falling apart but there is one tiny spot of rust above the tail pipe and the drive train is as reliable now as it was brand new

2 things went bad mechanically - A/C compressor and the computer for 4wd.
Replaced tie-rods and ball joints this summer.

Other than brakes and tires there is not really much to maintain on them

#41 ·
I had been looking for one of these for a while, I just couldn't find one that wasn't neglected. Lots of these are now in the 200k mile club, which gives a good indicator of durability. Finding a well cared-for one isn't about cost, it's about effort. I gave up looking because I came across a even bigger, sturdier, awesomer gas hog.

#47 ·
One minor note is the wipers are known to malfunction. They will act all cattywhompus and stop at the wierdest places on the windshield.

It's fixed with a $10 circuitboard and about 15 minutes.

Also, for as much maligned about their interiors, the heater core is in a plastic box under the dash. It can be swapped out in 45 minutes with the right tools.

Some 1999 454s had weak oil pumps (which is why I don't have one anymore, dammit), but since the 2 doors ride exclusively on the 1500 chassis, that won't be a problem.

They are really pretty simple. The biggest problems are the 2 doors are rare, getting rarer thanks to people ghettoifying them, and when you do find a good one, they are worth stupid amounts of money. I'd love to own one.

#48 ·
I found a 99 Sport for a decent price, hope to look at it this weekend. :beer:

I haven't decided if I prefer the body color trim on the Yukon GT or the Sport's textured black, anyone know how easily that can be swapped?

#53 ·
Love these things. Only thing I can add is i almost bought one in 1993 but the dealer sold it after taking my deposit.

While much older than the OP's request, fwiw there are also ex-military K5 Blazers out there with the 6.2 non-turbocharged GM diesel engine, called a CUCV M1009. Banks makes a turbocharger kit (called the sidewinder kit, iirc) so you could build yourself a turbo diesel blazer for not too much coin.

Usually have very few miles on them, but they are very, very bare-bones with not much interior, no ac, etc...

These are available from surplus stores and direct auctions. Since these are mid-80s vehicles I would be looking at ones from rust-free states. For about 3k in purchase and 7k in mods you could come out with a seriously cool truck for 10k.

#57 ·
Still looking for one of these things, they have pretty much all rotted/rusted away or have been hacked up with cheap lift kits and chrome 24" wheels. :(

Why is it so hard to find this!

#59 ·
you can always score one of these cheap on the gov auction sites and fix it up.
I've looked into a few of them, but my wife (as cool as she is) wasn't all that impressed. :laugh:

#61 ·
Waw, I used to have a '96 GMC with the barn doors and roofrack-delete in Victory Red. I loved that thing, even if it had an autotragic (but with a B&M shift kit and ratchet shifter). Had a nice lift, 'classic' wheels, etc.

Probably should not have sold it, since I have not seen one in the same configuration since. :( Can't complain though, it was one of the VERY FEW vehicles I did not lose money on when selling it.

#63 ·
#69 ·
I think I have said it before and will say it again, this generation is my favorite Chevy truck. I would not even mind a blinged out one on 24s. That is a chance to make some money back by reselling to the local wannabe baller. Mine would end up looking closer to this however:

#70 ·
My uncle had a base '94 that he drove for years and years. It was the classic "old man" truck, dark/light blue (or maybe silver) two-tone, base model, steel wheels, floor-mounted transfer case. I never cared for American pickup trucks but always thought his was cool.

Like this:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.