Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 09-30-2008 09:55 PM #1
      Hi all. My daughter drove me to this forum. It appears to be a good enthusiest's forum for this vehicle so I hope someone can provide some direction. I'm finding it impossible to locate hard info about her 06 Jetta with a 2.5-5 cyl engine.

Her car has 72k on it. She drives a lot! The car has been properly serviced throughout the warrenty period and has been fine.

Recently, however, it has been throwing P0480 and P0481 codes which indicate a Cooling Fan 1 and 2 Control Circuit Malfunction. The codes clear themselves from time to time but pop up randomly, too. I've got a code reader which found them.

Nowhere I have searched has ANY info about how to address these codes. AlldataDIY does not list a 2006 model yet and there are no manuals I've found that address it, either. I suspect a bad relay or switch of some type but don't want to waste time or money trying to find them.

Both fans work fine as far as I can tell and her car does not overheat. So, can someone suggest a repair process and the appropriate part to replace? I own a Jag and have an easier time finding info. VW, for some reason, is not very forthcoming with maintenance info for this 'ol Dad just trying to help her daughter.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Rome

2. 10-01-2008 10:35 PM #2
      I can't believe that with all the views, no one has a suggestion as to how to proceed here. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Rome

3. 10-01-2008 11:05 PM #3
      does it trigger the MIL/CEL
      SsTuNE.com
      C2motorsports Flash Dealer
      audi4u@optonline.net
      http://www.youtube.com/audi4u
      395whp/325wtrq MKV Rabbit

Cars
      2012 MR Beetle 2.5 5MT, 2013 RS JSW TDI 6MT
      10-01-2008 11:17 PM #4
      Have you verified the cooling fans are coming on when they should? I would check them to make sure they're not continuously running or not coming on at all. Even if they're stuck on at all times, this will trigger a check engine light.

- Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

Cars
      2006 Audi S4 Brilliant Red
      10-01-2008 11:22 PM #5
      I have heard of this. Believe that it was related to the Fan control unit, built into the fans themselves. might need to swap them out and see.

see here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2392422

and here:

http://www.keepandshare.com/do...&da=y

Modified by 07JettaMK5 at 11:28 PM 10-1-2008

"It is my observation.... that too many people are spending money they don't have, or haven't earned yet,
      to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't like."

6. 10-02-2008 06:40 AM #6
      Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the CEL did come on and that's when my daughter asked me to examine the codes with my code-reader. The P0480 and P 0481 codes were thrown. The CEL, however, is intermittent. It cycles every 4th start of the car and goes off. Then, it randomly comes back on.

The engine does NOT overheat but the fans appear to be running too fast. She has not complained about them running long after she shuts down but I'm going to make her aware of that and keep in eye on it.

I did read another thread here which did discuss these codes but their car was still under warrantee and the entire fan assembly was replaced by the dealer. Unfortunately, my daughter's car is out of warrantee as her mileage is at 73k. So, while replacing the entire fan assembly would most probably fix this problem, it's not a very attractive one. I don't even know if an assembly would be available. In the meantime, having that diagram showing the coolant sensor and the fan assembly is helpful. I’m going to see if I can find the appropriate parts and just swap ‘em out.

If anyone has any other suggestions or information about this situation, your input will be appreciated. If I do make any repairs and they work, I’ll post back.

Rome

7. 10-02-2008 06:46 AM #7
      As an addendum to my reply above, I did also find this post which speaks to the problem, I believe. Looks like this might be an issue for anyone with a VW to keep an eye on.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3879344

8. 07-21-2011 09:15 AM #8
      So, I also have a 2006 Jetta with the CEL on and the p0840 and 0841 codes. The light was on for a couple days, then off for 5, then back on as I commute a couple days per week in heavy traffic. With this kind of mileage, I have no warranty...am I screwed??

Cars
      MKVI GLI + Rabbit
      07-21-2011 09:52 AM #9
      to the above poster, you're not screwed. realistically if the car is running fine then its not an urgent repair. like others said above, pay attention to whether the fans are staying on too long after the car is shut down, or if the ac/heating system is running overly loud.

otherwise here's a good place to try and help out with the diagnosis...

RossTech Wiki - P0480

also check your posting title and the original post for accuracy of your codes...you wrote P0480 in the title and P0840 in the body...
      2006 GLI / 2008 Rabbit - United Motorsports (used to be Flex Fuel)
      Quote Originally Posted by pete@blackforest View Post
      I remember when people modified their Volkswagen to enhance the driving experience. What ever happened to Fahrvergnugen?
      Bags are for kids that grew up watching Pimp My Ride. Turbo is for all of us that enjoy actual motorsport.

Cars
      '06 Tiburon SE V6, 6spd
      07-22-2011 05:22 PM #10
      Sounds like you're going to have to replace something although I'm not sure which component it would be from the info given. You can keep the cost down as much as possible by ordering parts from here: http://www.keffervwparts.com/partloc...?siteid=216054
      Quote Originally Posted by a3lad View Post
      the mods aborted the thread and now who knows what that thread might have turn out to be... maybe one day it wouldve cured cancer.

11. 08-16-2011 06:48 PM #11
      I have searched through multiple forums and online stores and I keep getting different numbers for the fans. I want to change them out but can't figure out which part numbers are the most current.

Cars
      2013 Driver's Edition Candy White Gti
      08-24-2011 06:10 PM #12
      I had the same problem, took the fans out, tapped the metal bodies on both fans with a hammer and plugged them back in to make sure they both spun. Had the codes cleared and have 25k miles on them with no problem... Alot cheaper then 2 fans...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. 06-09-2013 08:07 PM #13
      HI cabinetmaker,

Were you able to fix the problem? Having the same code and no overheating with my car.

14. 06-20-2013 03:12 PM #14
      I recently had this problem come up in my '06 Jetta too. Exact same symptoms as everyone here. I also noticed that my A/C sounds funny at the highest setting.

The dealership told me that the fans needed to be replaced. They quoted me $845 plus tax. The independent shop quoted me $680 for OEM, and $499 for aftermarket. It sounds like I could've tried to clean up the fans or something because it is a common issue for this model, and often is a result of dirt clogging up the fans.

I don't know too much about mechanics though so I didn't want to tinker. Hope this helps someone.

15. Member
      Cars
      2010 G37 coupe, 2006 Jetta
      06-20-2013 11:28 PM #15
      I have an 06 too

noticed that when I DO NOT run the AC the fan stays on after shutdown, for about 15 minutes.. randomly. not always.

when I DO run the AC, the fans never stay on after shut down.

people who replace their fans claim that the car fan is loud, because when one fan goes out the other fan has to work twice as hard to make up for the cooling and is very loud.

my car has 25k miles so i'll keep an eyeout for it.