Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 08-18-2008 02:35 PM #1
      I have a 2000 Jetta GLS VR6 with a slow coolant leak. With the exapnsion tank filled to the max line, it takes about a week for the coolant level to reach the bottom of the tank.

I have heard a lot about the crack pipe cracking but if I understand this stuff correctly, the crack pipe is located on the passenger side... in my case, the coolant is definitely hitting the ground on the driver side... although I realize it could be traveling on something and then dripping. Anyway, I haven't done a thorough inspection to try to locate the source, just took a quick look from up top and from underneath but didn't spot anything. Also, I hear a hissing sound for a few minutes after shutting the engine off... it's a steady sound, not like what you would hear when liquid drips onto a hot surface and burns off. This is my first VW so I am unfamiliar with the ins and outs of these things so I don't know if this sound is normal or not.

I appreciate any info you guys have to offer!

Cars
      99.5 tdi jetta, 00 bt tdi jetta, 98 tdi jetta
      08-18-2008 03:52 PM #2
      look to see where coolant comes out of the block. it doesn't take a genius. it'll be pink in color unless someone changed the coolant before.

3. 08-18-2008 04:03 PM #3
      The "crack pipe" is located in the front of the engine. It runs between the intake manifold and engine block. Try a search on "crack pipe", you will find multiple threads on the subject.

Is it a "hissing" sound or a "humming" sound. Your Jetta has a secondary water pump that runs after the car is turned off. It keeps the coolant circulating so it doesn't create hot spots.

If you can't see it by a visual inspection, then it's time to get your hands dirty.

4. 08-18-2008 04:06 PM #4
      start the car up and wait a few minutes for the coolant lines to pressurize. if the leak is coming from a hose of some sort you should see it spraying out somewhere, or if its coming from the head, you should see it coming out of there.

if the coolant tends to drain out even when the car is off its possible that its draining from a low point in the car so it could leak out just by gravity and not when the coolant is under pressure. But if you know for sure if it leaks only when you are driving, its probably spraying out because the lines are pressurized.

5. 08-18-2008 04:44 PM #5
      The car has been parked for a few days and it still leaks. When I first noticed the leak I drove it around to bring the engine up to temp to see if it made a difference as far as the leak goes... it didn't. Also, the coolant that has leaked out (it's the pink G12 stuff) looks clean... no sign of oil so I assume it's not leaking from the head. As for the sound, it sounds more to me like a hiss than a hum.

Do you guys think the car is safe to drive as long as the expansion tank is kept at the proper level? I don't know if this problem is something that will just let go and suddenly lose all the coolant. I entend on getting it fixed whether I do it or have a mechanic do it, but it would save me a lot of hassle if the car could be driven in the short term.

6. 08-18-2008 06:39 PM #6
      Not sure if this is going to help much but here is a picture I took this evening. The yellow arrows indicate the presence of coolant.

08-18-2008 07:49 PM #7
      check the stat housing and crack pipe, they should be about right above the pic if i'm looking at it right

8. 08-18-2008 07:56 PM #8
      Thermostat housing is just above the starter and a few inches to the passenger side. Could be that or crack pipe (though they leak more towards other side of the car).

You'll need to get above it and find the leak.

Cars
      My other VW is a WVW-W VW
      08-18-2008 09:24 PM #9
      your car looks so clean for a 2000 with a coolant leak pink is definitely coolant, too.

my money is on the thermostat housing, and if the plastic gasket groove hasn't actually broken on your car, then the gasket seal would be gummed-up and leaking.

I saw no signs of damage or leaking on my crack pipe, it was all thermostat housing.

· ·we're only gonna die for our own arrogance that's why we might as well take our time...
      · · /
      · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to Ø

10. 08-18-2008 09:33 PM #10
      If you have a leak from either, it's more than likely either the t-stat housing or crack pipe, especially if it is NOT on the passenger side. You've also got a rats nest of hoses above your transmission, coming out of the t-stat housing - check those and the connections as well. If it's a pin-hole in a hose or something, it may not manifest until it heats up.

If you have to get in there and tear stuff apart, do yourself the favor of replacing both the housing and pipe - you don't want to have to do it again.

Cars
      08-18-2008 10:06 PM #11
      · ·we're only gonna die for our own arrogance that's why we might as well take our time...
      · · /
      · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to Ø

12. 08-19-2008 11:22 AM #12
      Thanks for all the info. Assuming it's the t-stat housing or crack pipe, do you guys think the car is safe to drive for a couple of weeks until I can get it fixed as long as I monitor the coolant level? I picked up a bottle of G12 from the dealer a few days ago so I could replenish what has already been lost.

Cars
      08-19-2008 12:49 PM #13
      mines been leaking for a long time. all I do is fill the overflow with distilled water when it runs low enough that the coolant-warning light comes on. I tell people all the beeping and flashing lights mean the car is about to explode

I need to get back in there and change it again... no ambition to do that just yet. you'll be fine if it's just a slow drip leak... if your car starts loosing buckets of coolant then something has let go. otherwise, just fix it when you can

· · /

14. 08-19-2008 01:01 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by mattm1962 »
      Thanks for all the info. Assuming it's the t-stat housing or crack pipe, do you guys think the car is safe to drive for a couple of weeks until I can get it fixed as long as I monitor the coolant level? I picked up a bottle of G12 from the dealer a few days ago so I could replenish what has already been lost.

Until you fix the leak, don't bother adding G12 - just add distilled for now. I wouldn't go on it too long, but if it's slow enough to get you where you need, it's probably OK.