- Help! AEB 1.8t with "Multiple Cylinder Random Misfire" and Cyl 3 Misfire codes
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

08 Passat 3.6 4-Mo, '08 Armada
      07-09-2008 10:42 PM #1
      Hello All,
      I'm coming to the forum looking for help diagnosing a problem that has a master Audi Tech and I stumped.
      The Problem: Multiple Cylinder Random Misfire, Misfire on Cyl 2 and Cyl 3 codes. Runs fine on highway after first start in the am. Begins to misfire badly/throw code within 1 mile after exiting highway driving and starting "stop and go" city driving
      The Car: 1999 VW Passat 1.8t "AEB" engine code
      192,xxx miles. Greedspeed/Neuspeed ECU. All else is stock
      ****ICM module replaced less than 1000 miles ago due to misfire/similar problem. All was fine until now*****
      Compression tested (cyl 1-4): 155lbs, 150lbs, 145lbs, 155lbs
      Repairs/troubleshooting tried already:
      Swapped cyl 2 and 3 coils for cyl 1 and 4. Result: problem remains / same error codes (cyl 2 and 3 misfire / random misfire)
      Swapped cyl 2 and 3 injectors for cyl 1 and 4. Result: no change, problem remains
      Any ideas / recommendations on where to go from here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    3. 07-09-2008 11:54 PM #2
      well older vw cars that have the miss fire problem can be the coil pack wiring harness or bad coil packs. I have a Aww 1.8t and i have 6 year old coil packs and origianl coil pack wiring harness . I have all new ngx spark plugs and i use 91 octane fuel . i still get random miss fire codes all the time and have logged lots of miss fires. My car runs and drives great yet i looked at my coil pack wiring harness . it has multiple cracks on all wires. my buddy owns a garage and he has covered the craks with some silicone but he sugeested that i replace the harness now that my car is getting older . Vw has remade the harness and i will also replace the coil packs since they are old and i want to go with the newwest revision and use a bolt down type hitachi coil pack . from what i read on here that will really help the randon miss fire code problem

central NJ
      07-10-2008 12:20 AM #3
      AEB cars have a common issue. there is a coil output stage on top of the air box.
      its a little module with a connector on each side. one has 4 wires and one has 5 wires. that out put stage goes bad commonly. looks like this pic
      01 GTI 1.8T big turbo ghost...
      02 Jetta GLX

08 Passat 3.6 4-Mo, '08 Armada
      07-10-2008 08:58 PM #4
      Tested the power output stage (aka Ignition control module) with multimeter and the circuits were "open" in both directions.
      Is it odd that a 2 month old ICM/POS failed?
      Should I be looking for a root cause to the POS failing?