Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

05-02-2008 08:45 PM #1
      Im starting to drive my 97 passat more and I want to fill it all the way to the top and run it all the way till empty. Would it be as easy as filling it up with a gallon or two when empty and just turning over the engine till it starts? TIA

Cars
      2002 Jetta TDi, 1990 G60 Corrado
      05-02-2008 08:58 PM #2
      Once you run the car out of diesel...you will need to bleed the system....diesel also lubricates the pump. So running the pump low on diesel can cause damage.

Cars
      1994 Jetta TD
      05-02-2008 09:03 PM #3
      That's right, don't run a diesel engine out of fuel. I don't see why you'd want to anyway.

4. Member
      Cars
      Rusty n' Not Reliable
      05-02-2008 11:36 PM #4
      It's not good. You have no electric fuel pump to prime the system. When you run out of fuel, the lines will have some air in them. Plus, it's a safety hazard to drive along and then run out of fuel in the middle of an intersection, highway, etc.

Edit: Yes the injection pump is self priming but you might run down the battery or fry the starter before you get the engine to start if you're that dry. The best way to restart it is to manually use suction at the return fuel line at the injection pump (engine) to draw fuel all the way through the lines. Don't keep cranking if you have no fuel since it just sucks in more air.

If you want to see your max range, drive until almost empty. Open the top of the fuel tank. It's in the back, it looks like a little port. Remove the fuel level sender. Suck out all the fuel in there and then measure it. Use the same pump so that the calibration will be the same and you know how much fuel you are getting.

Modified by chittychittybangbang at 6:22 PM 5-27-2008

05-04-2008 09:32 PM #5
      I was gonna do this to figure out mpg. I drove it the other day at 12 gallons and over the day drove only 40 miles and it went down to 10..... I just started driving this car, it has diesel from at least 6 months ago if that matters. Thanks for the suggestions though

Cars
      1994 Jetta TD
      05-04-2008 11:03 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by MDTurborocco »
      I was gonna do this to figure out mpg. I drove it the other day at 12 gallons and over the day drove only 40 miles and it went down to 10..... I just started driving this car, it has diesel from at least 6 months ago if that matters. Thanks for the suggestions though

To figure out your mpg, do the following:
      -Fill tank to the very top, or first click on pump (has to be roughly the same on every fill-up)
      -Reset your trip odometer
      -Drive until you need to fuel up
      -Fill tank to the same spot as previous
      -Note miles driven and gallons of fuel added, then just do your calculations

7. Member
      Cars
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      05-05-2008 08:04 PM #7
      ... or just fill up, keep a receipt, make a spreadsheet of the Gallons, Miles, and MPG.
      Average the entire spreadsheet from beginning to end.
      If you want a 350 mile tank average, then you could get picky about HOW you fill each tank.

(I have tanks, in the MKV Jetta, of 48 MPG, and 31 MPG, and overall 36 MPG, I do a lot of City driving. If you travel 500 miles on the Highway, your spreadsheet will reflect the good MPG, if you drive consistently in the City, then you will eventually see your true City MPG.)

My B5.5, 2.0L Passat is very religious at 30MPG in the city, and 40MPG on the highway, and how I fill that beast does not play into the picture.

Just don't run it dry, take the overall average.

Rain Closing Windows, goF raeR, Aspherical Mirrors, Remote Windows, Amber Club

05-24-2008 01:45 PM #8
      roughly 750 miles out of my first tank not bad Did I hear a quart of atf is good for the injection pump??

05-24-2008 03:36 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by MDTurborocco »
      roughly 750 miles out of my first tank not bad Did I hear a quart of atf is good for the injection pump??

1 oz ATF (or 2 stroke motor oil) to 1 gallon of diesel is the general rule..

Cars
      03 Jetta, 97 Trek, 81 Jetta, 81 Rabbit
      05-24-2008 08:37 PM #10
      you don't need to bleed the system? you just add fuel and crank till it starts, it bleeds itself
      ..........___..................___..............._ __
      ......._//_|_\__........._//_|_\__........//|_|_\__
      ......|_@_|_|@|..O0o|_@_|_|@|..O0o|@_|_|@|

Cars
      05-24-2008 08:40 PM #11
      also atf is corrosive to the ip, i wouldn't run it regularly, although i think its good to run a quart through every once in a while

12. 05-24-2008 09:22 PM #12
      And if you are going to use 2 stroke oil use ashless or smokeless, same thing.

It is clean and not full of carbon particles that can score your injectors at their high pressure. especially for like tdi pressure.

13. Member
      Cars
      1986 IDI Golf, 326K Miles.
      05-25-2008 12:36 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by Mr Bungle »
      And if you are going to use 2 stroke oil use ashless or smokeless, same thing.

It is clean and not full of carbon particles that can score your injectors at their high pressure. especially for like tdi pressure.

This is off topic but carbon particles may not be as bad as stated and last I heard, graphite is a good lubricant. Check out the following site:

http://www.embedded.com/story/OEG20010618S0078

Otherwise Google Cummins Centinel.

Modified by Tinker Toy at 11:42 PM 5-24-2008

Cars
      97 Jetta TDI, 89 Fox diesel, 92 300SD turbo, 82 GS1100E
      05-25-2008 12:05 PM #14
      The IP has an internal lift pump so priming is automatic. OTOH, it creates a lot of wear and tear on the starter to prime the system every time you run out of fuel.

Additionally, the IP has an internal reservoir that holds enough fuel to lubricate the pump but not enough to push to the injectors, so running out of fuel won't draw all the fuel out of the IP.

It's preferable never to run out of fuel. The only priming you want to have to do on a diesel is when you change the fuel filter.

Gir - "won't the sploding hurt?" Zim - "Silence!"

Cars
      05-25-2008 12:58 PM #15
      word. mine always started in a few cranks as long as i put the pedal down a good bit. the longest it ever took for a car to start for me was when i did my td swap. took forever.

05-25-2008 02:26 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by Trev0rBr »
      word. mine always started in a few cranks as long as i put the pedal down a good bit. the longest it ever took for a car to start for me was when i did my td swap. took forever.

yeah, i've got to hold my pedal down a good bit to get it started as well... any idea why that is ? why wont it just start up, my diesel truck does. lol

Cars
      05-25-2008 03:19 PM #17
      i just do it because i figure it will help bleed the pump faster since its trying to move more fuel.

05-25-2008 04:48 PM #18
      im gonna test my glowplugs

19. 05-25-2008 06:21 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by QuantumSyncro »
      The IP has an internal lift pump so priming is automatic. OTOH, it creates a lot of wear and tear on the starter to prime the system every time you run out of fuel.

Additionally, the IP has an internal reservoir that holds enough fuel to lubricate the pump but not enough to push to the injectors, so running out of fuel won't draw all the fuel out of the IP.

It's preferable never to run out of fuel. The only priming you want to have to do on a diesel is when you change the fuel filter.

Good to know, thanks

20. 05-27-2008 09:10 PM #20
      I've run mine out of fuel twice unintentionally and once intentionally. You can easily restart the engine after refueling if you don't try to get every last drop out of the tank and lines.

As soon as you feel the engine losing power, the pump is sucking air. Immediately stop the car, refuel and the pump should prime instantly.

Don't keep trying to start the car without refueling because the more air that enters the system the harder the car will be to restart.

21. Member
      Cars
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      05-28-2008 09:15 PM #21
      TDI's and Rabbit are very different creatures. ATF is NOT recommended for TDIs. Also, the drive-by-wire function can do some funky things. Putting the pedal to the floor while cranking won't necessarily help in getting the car re-started after running out of fuel.

In theory, the injection pump is self priming, but many people have found from experience, that this is not always the case. Just try putting a new fuel filter on the car totally empty, and see what happens.

My GF was driving us home one night, she woke me up at 1am to say we had run out of fuel. We were about 2 miles from the Blanford service station on I90, about halfway between exit 2 & 3. We called AAA and waited. The truck showed up finally and the driver dumped in 5 gallons of Diesel. I didn't have a funnel or other convenient way to pre-fill the filter, nor a vacuum pump to draw fuel to the IP. After cranking until the battery started dying, the car still wouldn't start. The driver refused to tow us and leave us at the next service area, but took us 20 miles back to exit 2 in Lee, and dropped the car at the truck stop, which was all but deserted. Since the battery was pretty weak at this point, the clerk helped to jump start the car. The cables were only hooked up for 30 seconds and it fired right up.

So the self-priming fuel pump is sort of self-priming, eventually.

05-28-2008 09:37 PM #22
      Thank you for everyone that has posted, this is exactly the information I was looking for and overall a very informative post. So really atf is not needed? I got this thing at 170k miles with no previous history im just trying to do everything possible to keep it tip top and keep the injectors/IP in good working order

23. Member
      Cars
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      05-28-2008 10:00 PM #23
      Don't use ATF. Go over to http://www.tdiclub.com and do a search there in the Fuel & Lubricant section, and you'll get a whole bunch of reasons not to use ATF.

Cars
      05-28-2008 10:07 PM #24
      pressing the pedal down will help it prime faster since the plunger will stroke further

25. Member
      Cars
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      05-28-2008 10:46 PM #25
      Not in a TDI. There's no cable from the pedal to the pump, so the ECU controls how much is injected during startup. Stepping on the pedal won't help reprime a TDI.

26. 01-11-2013 07:46 AM #26
      I think its right, don't run a diesel engine out of fuel.