VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Timing Belt/Water Pump change recommendation

8K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  Dubstatic 
#1 ·
Alright so for all the neigh-sayers that don't believe a timing belt/water pump change should be done before 80k miles...here's what mine looks like after 69,120 miles:

I pulled the pump out of the block and the impeller literally crumbled in one spot in my hand. The plastic is extremely brittle which was quite an eye-opener. I can't believe I even considered stretching this job out to 80k.
If you are considering putting this off past about 70k miles I recommend rethinking that. Granted a failing water pump might not be catastrophic to your motor, but plastic impeller pieces probably aren't a good addition to the cooling system.

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: (veedubwolfsburg)

Quote, originally posted by veedubwolfsburg »
Changed mine at 112k and the water pump was good as new
I think this might have to do with the style of driving the engine is subjected to. Constant heat cycling of short trips is likely to hurt the plastic. Mine sees mainly longer highway trips.

Me too, I'm right there with ya. I've got 90k on my original belt/water pump and I'm taking it to 100k with little worry

#10 ·
Re: (Fastvolks)

Prior to doing this job I would have thought you to be wrong...but after seeing what was impending with my own car, I have to agree with you.
For those that have made it to the 100k's...congratulations. You are the lucky ones. For those of you who are not there yet, don't push your luck.

#11 ·
Re: (blkpain1.8t)

I just did mine at 99K the works, and I could flick the impeller apart with my fingernail. The belt was also stretched and skinny, no fear of tearing, but ive heard the teeth can actually come off in sections of 10-20. Just do it at 80K and forget about it.

#12 ·
Re: (imcuconn)

i bought my car with 134k off of a guy with an original timing belt where about 10 teeth sheered off. the guy told me he didnt think it was necessary to spend $1200 every 60k for maintainance. he figured that if the belt was still intact, then it was good. haha. so i ended up with a pretty sweet car for cheap. with a new engine and all new timing components, i plan on doing the belt and pump again after another 40k. i wont chance it- the new engine cost me a pretty penny

#13 ·
Re: (TmoeJ747)

Here's a question. If I replace the water pump with a metal impeller pump and new timing belt, how long could I wait until the next change?
Say first change at 70K, could i wait until I hit 170K miles on the car before changing the belt and pump again?
What's the consensus here on this?
Thanks

#14 ·
Re: (2002JettaMike)

Quote, originally posted by 2002JettaMike »
Here's a question. If I replace the water pump with a metal impeller pump and new timing belt, how long could I wait until the next change?
Say first change at 70K, could i wait until I hit 170K miles on the car before changing the belt and pump again?
What's the consensus here on this?
Thanks

Well from my experience, with me presenting proper heat cycles to my engine, I've been able to take my original belt/pump to 91k. So when I do switch everything out with a metal pump at 100k, I'll have no problem having this be the last TB job that I do to the car. I'll have 200k on it (if i still have it) before i go and change it out again.

#15 ·
Re: (2002JettaMike)

Quote, originally posted by 2002JettaMike »

Thanks

Once you change the pump to a metal one, there's no reason to replace it again as the metal impeller should last indefinitely (Unless you run into say bearing problems with the pump.) As for the timing belt, stick to 60K change intervals .

#18 ·
Re: Timing Belt/Water Pump change recommendation (loxxrider)

Quote, originally posted by loxxrider »
My first wp failed at aroung 55k. My next one failed at around 95k...the car sees nothing but highway use most of the time..so I don't think that is a good explanation.

True, that does contradict my point. But I guess the factor that is involved is that your VW was assembled in Mexico or PA, and my Audi was made and assembled in Germany?

#19 ·
Re: Timing Belt/Water Pump change recommendation (blkpain1.8t)

My waterpump just failed at 126K miles. It happened after over reving the engine to 7k rpm. I am about 2 hours into the timing belt/water pump job right now. One question I have that I didn't see an answer for on the DIY timing belt thread is regarding the timing belt tensioner and pulley. The kits come with the tensioner and pulley. Do I have to change them? If I am planning to change the timing belt and water pump, can I use the existing tensioner and pulley? I didn't buy a new tensioner or pulley and just bought the belt and pump because I am hurting for cash and just need this car back on the road.

#20 ·
Re: Timing Belt/Water Pump change recommendation (blkpain1.8t)

Quote, originally posted by blkpain1.8t »
Alright so for all the neigh-sayers that don't believe a timing belt/water pump change should be done before 80k miles...here's what mine looks like after 69,120 miles

Japanese manufacturers always recommend changing the Timing belt @ 100,000km intervals.Same timing belt quality used by German manufacturers.
I dont have a single client that I changed there timing belt @ 100,000 miles.It was always around the 62 XXX miles and I made sure to change the water pump @ the same time.Sometimes I even go as far as to change the camshaft & crankshaft seal but that crankshaft bolt is not for the weak of heart.

#21 ·
Re: Timing Belt/Water Pump change recommendation (SlyTDI)

Quote, originally posted by SlyTDI »
My waterpump just failed at 126K miles. It happened after over reving the engine to 7k rpm. I am about 2 hours into the timing belt/water pump job right now. One question I have that I didn't see an answer for on the DIY timing belt thread is regarding the timing belt tensioner and pulley. The kits come with the tensioner and pulley. Do I have to change them? If I am planning to change the timing belt and water pump, can I use the existing tensioner and pulley? I didn't buy a new tensioner or pulley and just bought the belt and pump because I am hurting for cash and just need this car back on the road.

You might be fine, but those older parts will hover in the back of your head whether or not they are going to hold up. I recommend when $ gets good again, get those replaced.

#22 ·
Re: Timing Belt/Water Pump change recommendation (loxxrider)

Quote, originally posted by loxxrider »
My first wp failed at aroung 55k. My next one failed at around 95k...the car sees nothing but highway use most of the time..so I don't think that is a good explanation.

How did the second one fail? Was it also plastic?

#23 ·
Re: Timing Belt/Water Pump change recommendation (SlyTDI)

Quote, originally posted by SlyTDI »

The Tensioners are the problem area not so much the belt. When the tensioners seize and fail they cause the belt to break costing big $$$.

#24 ·
Re: Timing Belt/Water Pump change recommendation (veedubwolfsburg)

Quote, originally posted by Gallep »

True, that does contradict my point. But I guess the factor that is involved is that your VW was assembled in Mexico or PA, and my Audi was made and assembled in Germany?

Haha maybe

Quote, originally posted by veedubwolfsburg »

How did the second one fail? Was it also plastic?

Yes, it was also plastic...

lol now its metal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.