VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Pic Post - 5000.100.200 and V8's... Lets see em !

338K views 532 replies 88 participants last post by  tyfnfvw 
#1 ·
The fourm is slow. There has to be some owners out there who are not posting. Lets try and Liven it up

See less See more
#228 ·
Re: (Tdotdub)

i think you people feeling the need to spend upwards of 3k on suspension need to realize that sh!t looks good slammed, and most peoples cars that are slammed could give a shiz less if you can beat them round the track. my point is people get wheels and are scared to lower it and it ends up being this donk 4x4 bs that no matter how sweet the wheels are looks lame as all hell.

i spent maybe 10 bucks and some time getting it this low. i admit i needed spacers, but these are 19s and i still could have gone lower and been able to get lock to lock steering, and no rubbing.

#229 ·
Re: (xSWINDLERx)

Quote, originally posted by xSWINDLERx »
i think you people feeling the need to spend upwards of 3k on suspension need to realize that sh!t looks good slammed, and most peoples cars that are slammed could give a shiz less if you can beat them round the track. my point is people get wheels and are scared to lower it and it ends up being this donk 4x4 bs that no matter how sweet the wheels are looks lame as all hell.

i spent maybe 10 bucks and some time getting it this low. i admit i needed spacers, but these are 19s and i still could have gone lower and been able to get lock to lock steering, and no rubbing.

I'd never in my life trust springs that have been cut. They were not engineered that way and can cuase huge problems. 3k on suspenison is fine when it come to having a track/ "DD" can and when one doesnt care about fancy wheels andhaving just a great handling/ driving car.

#230 ·
Re: (Tdotdub)

Quote, originally posted by Tdotdub »
Hey oldsklaudidub... I was actually also considering these rims to buy for my audi.. can u give me a few shots with the whole car with those rims on? Thanks

I did not take any full car pics of my car at the time but here are some that were sent to me.

#231 ·
Re: (oldsklaudidub)

Quote, originally posted by oldsklaudidub »

I'd never in my life trust springs that have been cut. They were not engineered that way and can cuase huge problems. 3k on suspenison is fine when it come to having a track/ "DD" can and when one doesnt care about fancy wheels andhaving just a great handling/ driving car.

lol
whats not to trust? its just shorter, nothing else has changed. i dailyed mine for 2 years like that and never had any problems. i wouldn't consider the wheels fancy, nice, but not fancy, and my car also handled and drove just fine and was totally fun to drive. caught LOTS of looks lol.

#233 ·
Re: (thehomemade1)

I just like how probably 98% of people who say they would "NEVER trust cut springs OMG your car would blow up" have
1)never even been in a car with cut springs
2)never driven a car DAILY with cut springs for a long period of time or
3)just read on the interwebs how BAD AND DANGEROUS it is.
NOT that im saying its a good thing really, but for cars like ours that dont have much aftermarket, and arent ****ing race cars its fine.

#234 ·
we have cut springs on my rabbits and i have cut my eibach springs on my crx to get it low. is it the best thing to do? probably not, it won't pass certification, but if you need to go low, and i mean low, and your poor like i was then get out the zip disc and cut them, i drove my car for years like that and it only sucked in the deep snow (2") lol. with that said, i am not as poor and will probably just buy some proper springs for my v8.

#237 ·
Chris, what? no SIDE BOOB? and that kid with the black shirt and the back pack is in like all your pictures!!! wtf!?

#238 ·
Re: (kuma85)

haha I didn't take the pic or else I would have gotten SIDE BOOB in it

I was too busy working on my boost leaks

*edit* you mean black shirt and camera?
haha he's a buddy of mine. We were both taking pics of everything and getting in each others way all day.

Modified by loxxrider at 6:00 PM 11-22-2009

#243 ·
Re: (xSWINDLERx)

Quote, originally posted by Tdotdub »
How much is a decent set of coils, springs, etc (the whole nine yards).. So I can start saving up

to do a coilover setup including struts, springs, the sleeves, collars, hats, etc. you will be anywhere from 800- 1000 dollars.
Quote, originally posted by xSWINDLERx »
why dont you wanna shorten your struts?

well I might someday...but its a huge pain in the ass just getting the suspension off and I dont want to do it again at least for a few years.
Basically I'd have to find struts that would be short enough and fit in the housings and then have to get the little things that hold the struts down in the housings to fit the new, shorter struts. Then I'd have to cut the strut housings and weld the threaded section on lower. Then the problem is that I have much less adjustability.
I think I could go lower as is, but the struts are bottoming out? That is my whole reasoning for this...that and the fact that I'd like more travel.
Now in my opinion, the easier solution is to extend the tops of the strut towers...not sure if there is room to do that tho.

#244 ·
Re: (loxxrider)

Quote, originally posted by loxxrider »

to do a coilover setup including struts, springs, the sleeves, collars, hats, etc. you will be anywhere from 800- 1000 dollars.

Oh thats not THAT bad
If I'm going to dump 2 G's in before the summer.. whats another 1G LOL

#245 ·
Re: (loxxrider)

Quote, originally posted by loxxrider »

well I might someday...but its a huge pain in the ass just getting the suspension off and I dont want to do it again at least for a few years.
Basically I'd have to find struts that would be short enough and fit in the housings and then have to get the little things that hold the struts down in the housings to fit the new, shorter struts. Then I'd have to cut the strut housings and weld the threaded section on lower. Then the problem is that I have much less adjustability.
I think I could go lower as is, but the struts are bottoming out? That is my whole reasoning for this...that and the fact that I'd like more travel.
Now in my opinion, the easier solution is to extend the tops of the strut towers...not sure if there is room to do that tho.

yea i know what your sayin, its not set up all easy like a mk1 vw by any means lol. and raising the strut towers would be sweet but yea there isnt much room for that from what i can remember.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.