Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      B7 2.0t s-line
      06-29-2007 12:21 AM #1
      I've been searching for a similar problem, or any possible ideas I have had of what the problem could be. I looked under MAF, coil packs, faulty turbo although i cant find someone that has more than one of my symptoms:

My car has been having issues for a few months now. Primarily my CEL is on and throwing a code for coolant temperature sensor. Up until recently that was my only problem. My car started to idle kind of funny, and started to randomly stall when comming to a stop. The rpm would either spike down to about 600 and bounce up or stall. I had hoped maybe it was a clogged fuel filter so I changed that did not solve the problem. Today while i was driving when I got to a stop sign I pushed the gas and the car started SPUTTERING horribly as if it was a subaru making the car jerk and almost as if it was backfiring the turbo somehow. Although when i get it past the "sputter stage" (up to 2000 rpm it runs fine). I had a problem with a coil pack a while back, so i thought the cylinder wasnt firing for that rpm range. I went and replaced all the coil packs took it for a ride and nothing changed.

Symptoms:
      -Random stalling when comming to stop
      -Comming off a stop horrible sputtering until 2000 rpm then fine
      -No power whatsoever up to 2k rpm can barley get it to move

Attempted solutions:
      -changed fuel filter
      -changed all coil packs (would have to be done sooner or later anyway)

its an 02 GTI with about 110k miles on it. I appreciate any suggestions in advance, and i never really post so im a new user, althought i use vortex for help all the time. Thank you.

2. 06-29-2007 02:54 AM #2
      First, you need to make sure you have the newer green top coolant sensor. If you have a black top version or if your's is older than a few years, pick up a new one.

Then scan your ECU again for codes and see what pops up. The coolant sensor can do some funny things to our car's when they are faulty. But if your problems persist, I would next go through a process of elimination to find the culprit(s). Could be plugs, MAF, coilpacks, O2 sensors, vacuum leaks, or a host of ignition problems.

3. 06-29-2007 03:01 AM #3
      If the coolant sensor completely fails, would stop the engine from starting?

4. 06-29-2007 11:01 AM #4
      The subaru sound is blow coilpack. Maybe a vac leak too

Modified by JustinGLi18T at 5:05 PM 6-29-2007

5. Member
      Cars
      B7 2.0t s-line
      06-29-2007 06:05 PM #5
      Thanks alot for the input guys, i really appreciate it. I just got home from work and am starting to try to solve the problem. My coolant sensor is green top to answer that question. and I made sure that the fuel filter was on the right way. I looked at the hoses to see if there was anything obvious that popped off and I see nothing. How would I know if a hose is leaking? The typical spray windex on and look for bubbles (haha I have no other idea and im sure thats not exactly a good idea).

Thanks again.

6. Member
      Cars
      B7 2.0t s-line
      06-29-2007 06:18 PM #6
      I have my buddy here and now when i start the car it does not idle for shi* when started, he said sounded like the car was gasping for air. We tried to unplug the MAF (not exactly sure if that would show me anything) and didnt change anything.

My car engine wise is straight stock no chip or anything by the way, just a shortened cold air intake (now ram intake).

Thanks guys

7. 06-29-2007 07:27 PM #7
      If the engine is hesitant while at idle but runs fine past 2k rpm then your ignition coils are fine.

When I had a very similar (maybe the same) simptoms, i.e. hesitant idle, the engine dying down when the car came to a stop, it was solved by cleaning the throttle body.

There was a lot of buildup there so when fully closed there was almost no gap for any air to pass for the engine to idle.

What I did to clean it was undo the hose that comes from the intercooler where it meets the throttle body. Then opened the ignition switch (half way, just so the gas works but the car does not start) and put a weight on the gas pedal for the throttle body to open fully and sprayed some carb cleaner in there.

I used a rag soaked in carb cleaner to clear the buildup on the walls and throttle (it was a lot) and an old tooth brush to reach the far edge of the throttle.

I removed the weight, reatached the hose, and started up the car (it took a while to start and ran very roughly from all the carb cleaner).

I drove for a little while and the car was as good as new.

P.S.

You can ask someone to step on the gas while you clean the throttle body, but a distracted person can get your fingers trapped very easily while working back there, I thrust gravity more.

8. Member
      Cars
      B7 2.0t s-line
      06-29-2007 10:27 PM #8
      Thanks screech! thats definatly going to be a priority on my to do list since its definatly worth a shot at fixing the problem and if not its always beneficial regardless.

My newest update is, my car is working somewhat normal again,(at least not like a subaru like it was) and it drives ok. I really didnt do much. All i did was unplug the MAF and disconnected the battery and started the car, seemed to run better, so i reconnected the MAF and the battery again and it was at the point it is now. Not sure if i was supposed to reset the car after installing the coil packs (which could have been my initial problem) and that fixed it or its a bizarre temporary solution until it breaks again . It never ends huh?

So i drove it down to get it scanned and got something like P0118 which was for TCM Transmission control sensor. Looked that up and everyone said it has to do with changing the MAF, which makes sense because i unplugged it.

But I will definatly clean the throttle body to try to remedy the problem completely rather than letting it break down again.

Once again i really appreciate everyones input. Thank you.