Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 12-18-2006 07:22 PM #1
      My Father and I replaced the timing belt, waterpump, etc. on my Jetta last week. The waterpump was the problem... I had several engine misfire codes (I've replaced the sparkplugs since) and coolant temp sensor code before the belt/waterpump change (the car was overheating). After the change, these were all still there, along with the new camshaft position sensor fault code. After all the codes were cleared, the car was started. None came back, except for the 17748 code. This is what was shown:

VAG-COM Version: Release 303.1

Control Module Part Number: 06A 906 032 DK
      Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT 0001
      Software Coding: 07500
      Work Shop Code: WSC 01057
      1 Faults Found:
      17748 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incor. Correlation
      P1340 - 35-00 - -

I've searched and found that it could be due to the timing being off a tooth, or it could be the actual Camshaft position sensor. One thing that was different with my car is that it runs fine, idles fine, and does not stall or go into limp mode. Could the timing still be off? I'm going to hook the car back up to a friends VAG tonight or tomorrow to see if any other fault codes have come back, because the CEL is now on. Then it might be time to figure out how to troubleshoot the position sensor. I don't want to buy one until I have a better idea of what the problem is. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Cars
      337 PTE5857 DBB, Volvo C70
      12-18-2006 07:31 PM #2
      if the timing was off a tooth you'd be misfiring like crazy and have codes for all 4 cylinders i'd think, plus your car would run like crap

i'd say replace the sensor and see what happens

3. 12-18-2006 08:17 PM #3
      That seems like the first step, thanks. The car runs nice, so I don't see how the timing could be off. We checked pretty thoroughly.

And I did just have it scanned and no new codes came up, just the original 17748. So we'll see what happens.

4. 12-18-2006 08:23 PM #4
      NO your car will not misfire if ur timing is off by one tooth. My car was off a tooth and a half ran fine but always had the light on so always was in limp if you know someone in the area try swapping theres with your first. Also I got one sitting around here if u want it for like 15 bucks I replaced mine when mine came on for the exact same thing. I had the timing belt changed and that came on right when they started it up and said oh its probably just the sensor bad nope they sucked ass and didnt have it in time so wasted 130 dollars there at the stellership so my stock one is fine cause I plugged it back in to see if it worked and never got the light back on.

12-18-2006 08:33 PM #5
      your timing is off.....
      01 GTI 1.8T big turbo ghost...
      02 Jetta GLX
      VW/AUDI MASTER GUILD WRENCH

Cars
      08.5' TSI Jetta. 01' 1.8t Getta 87' audi 4000cs
      02-29-2008 07:00 PM #6
      your timing is not off, if you timing was off your car would not start and run or idle or do anything. Misfire thats all if your lucky. Having the same problem now, my camshaft postion sensor, if you take it off there is a metal ring that spins and does the firing sequance. make sure that is on tight and in the correct tooth. sensor on cap may be bad too. ill post more when i correct mine.

Cars
      94 golf
      02-29-2008 07:04 PM #7
      for the second time! youre timing is off!!!

8. 02-29-2008 09:54 PM #8
      i have the same code but i didnt get mine till way after i did the T-belt.... seems like were getting conflicting answers.. my car runs fine too...???

Cars
      2001 Audi A4. 2001 Audi A4.
      02-29-2008 10:47 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by jontron11 »
      your timing is not off, if you timing was off your car would not start and run or idle or do anything. Misfire thats all if your lucky.

If this is true, then what is the point of adjustable cam gears?

Here's the deal: If you have this code then that means that either your cam sensor is crap, your crank sensor is crap, your ECM is crap, or your timing is off.
      I'd suggest shelling out $20 to use the online Bentley manual and check out the wiring diagrams and just test the connector to the cam sensor. That will let you know if the sensor is dead or not.

"You know you have a bad idea when Ford guys are making fun of you."

Spice Rubs: Rick's Rubs

10. Member
      Cars
      '04 big turbo Jetta wagon, '11 tdi sportwagen
      02-29-2008 11:06 PM #10
      your timing is probably off by at least a tooth. and yes, the car will still run seemingly fine. that code means that the TDC mark that the crank sensor is picking up is not matching up with the TDC mark that the cam sensor is picking up. recheck your timing marks again. why shell out more money for something that you may not need. if all the marks are dead on, then sure, try a new sensor or a known good sensor. hope that helps.

Cars
      '02 Jetta GLS, reigning high mile champ 371,675k miles and counting
      03-01-2008 12:32 PM #11
      Please listen to what people are saying, you are off by one tooth on the timing belt. It has happened to me and I have replaced many timing belts in my 30 years of VW ownership. It happens. Before you go and spend money on a part you probably don't need, think about it. Was the CEL on before the work was performed?, if not you have your answer. It is possible that the part you want to replace went bad, but unlikely and it costs you nothing but a little time to make sure your timing marks all line up.

Hey we all want to believe we are beyond making such a simple mistake, but it really is easy to be off by just one tooth when putting the belts on the sprockets and having a very minute amount of excess slack in the wrong side of the belt. And that was the exact same code I had when i was off by a tooth, the car ran fine but that damn CEL was on. Reinstalled belt and checked and rechecked and all was well in the world again, and no annoying CEL.

Don

CANCER SUCKS but KAISER SUCKS MORE/But so far I kicked it's ASS

12. 03-01-2008 01:14 PM #12
      Factory trained and certified technician here. Your timing is OFF. I have done it. I remember how it goes put everything back together start it up and CEL. If that code is present don't even bother with anything else. Pull the thing back apart. You can have the timing off a slight bit and not have missfires and you will have that fault. The guy above me is dead on. You most likely had the slack in the timing belt on the wrong side. When you are putting it on you need to have the slack on the tensioner side. Not between the camshaft sprocket and water pump, which is most likely what happened. The reason I think it is likely what happened is because when you are putting that belt on, if you leave the slack on the water pump side it usually slides on there all gravy. When you try and get it on the other side it can be a bit of a mother.

13. 03-01-2008 05:54 PM #13
      do you think the car could be off a tooth even when i never got a cel and only got the code like 30k miles after i did the t-belt... did it jump a tooth?

14. 03-01-2008 06:20 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by vagpower »
      do you think the car could be off a tooth even when i never got a cel and only got the code like 30k miles after i did the t-belt... did it jump a tooth?

Doubtful. If it was right after the timing belt then yes. Otherwise the sensor just might be bad. And there are a few different codes that you could get. There are open circuit, short to ground, out of range, range performance. Without knowing exactly which one it could be a few different things.

Cars
      08.5' TSI Jetta. 01' 1.8t Getta 87' audi 4000cs
      03-04-2008 09:20 AM #15
      ok, i was wrong, yes your timing is off a tooth, or your firing ring is not in place or is wrong. my tooth was off 1 and my car didnt run at all. changed it, and got a new firing ring, started right up, no codes

16. 05-04-2008 11:55 PM #16
      hi man, you quoted, " You most likely had the slack in the timing belt on the wrong side. When you are putting it on you need to have the slack on the tensioner side. Not between the camshaft sprocket and water pump, which is most likely what happened. The reason I think it is likely what happened is because when you are putting that belt on, if you leave the slack on the water pump side it usually slides on there all gravy.'' can u please explain to me, what do you mean by havin the salck in the timing belt on the wrong side,

i put a new water pump, tentioner, and a t-belt, now the car runs like ****, when i first start the engine, the RPM shoots to almost 2500, and when it idles, it shakes so bad like it wants to shut off. i'm sure i put the timing on right, i checked it 5 times, i even checked it with a the flywheel mark.

i'm also having codes:
      p50507 idle control system RPM high
      p1237 fuel air metering
      p1240 fuel air metering
      p1239 fuel air metering
      p1238 fuel air metering
      and p0300 random/multiple misfire
      but during this process my battary suddenly died completely! , i mean it couldn't take a charge.
      could it be just because i need to get the ECM re-programmed, since the battary was disconnected or died during cracking.

please help!

17. 05-05-2008 12:03 AM #17
      hey man sorry, it's a
      2000 new beetle, 1.8T, APH, 4 CYL.