Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 09-10-2005 05:28 PM #1
      For those still one of those reallllly old manual transmission cars (do they still make them?), I compiled a really simple DIY. For those with DSG, go paint your paddles a pretty color or something

Before:

I'm one of the few with a base model by the way as you can see there. This switch was really needed in my opinion.

Package:

Sexy.

Step 1:
      Pull the boot up + forward at the same time and it should all pop out nicely. Use two hands btw and be gentle.

*edit*
      An easier way to take off the frame is to pop open the ashtray and lift the frame up.. alot easier than pulling the boot (thanks swifta3)

If you haven't broken anything, this is what it should look like.

Step 2:
      This is kind of annoying but you'll get it. Shift the boot up to the top of the knob and look at the insides of the boot. You'll see small clips attached to the frame. What you need to to do here is basically get the frame off the boot. Grab a flathead screwdriver and wedge it inbetween the clip and wall it's attached to, then push up. Put some power into it and it'll pop out.

Now we have this.

Step 3:
      Now you need to take the ring off. The only way to do this is to remove it completely (if you purchased another shift knob, another ring should be supplied). I used a wire cutter and it did the job nicely (I destroyed that ring).

Step 4:
      Everything else is pretty much self explanatory.. grab the new shift knob and pop it on, attach the frame and put everything else in place.
      Here's what mine looks like.

It took me like 30 min and I've never done anything like this before, so I'd say it's pretty simple.
      If anyone has any questions/tips or wants to correct anything please do so, I didn't read any tutorials or DIY for this, just simple common sense, so there might be better ways do it.
      Read and follow this diy at your own discretion.

And I'd also like to thank Alan from VAGparts.com for his help.

Here's the product:
      http://www.vagparts.com/pages/Alushift.htm

Enjoy.

Modified by jokr02 at 2:37 PM 9/10/2005

Modified by jokr02 at 1:25 PM 9/11/2005

2. 09-10-2005 06:53 PM #2
      thanks this should help big time to get rid of that ugly base shift knob...

3. 09-10-2005 07:05 PM #3
      tell me about it, i hated it.

4. 09-10-2005 08:09 PM #4
      great writeup! I just posted it to the DIY FAQ... thanks!

*sparx*

5. 09-11-2005 01:57 AM #5
      easy killer

to take off the boot, pull the plastic ring under the leather boot, on the side closest to the radio, towards you, and slightly pull up. It will pop off somewhat easily.

To take off the area around the boot, open your ashtray and remove the actual metal ashtray thingy. The area around your shiftboot over hangs a bit into the ashtray area. Pull up on the overhang, and the area will pop off.

To loosen the clip without destroying it, stick a flathead screwdriver into the hole of the clip, and turn it back and forth, pushing the clip apart, until it is loose enough to pull of the shift knob.

NOTE: The shiftknob is quite hard to get off. Be careful. It is help on tightly because part of the metal shifter is roughened. And turning the knob does nothing, because it is held straight by a crimp in the shifter that aligns with a small plastic piece inside the shift knob itself...

6. 09-11-2005 05:48 AM #6
      Great write up / pics! And great additional info from Swift!

Swift, did you ever shorten your lever? Care to write up on that?

7. 09-11-2005 09:55 AM #7
      Looks great, and great write up. I cant believe the base knobs look that crappy.

8. 09-11-2005 10:10 AM #8
      That seems really costly for just a shift knob and a boot.

Cars
      S5
      09-11-2005 10:11 AM #9
      jokr02 nicw write up and is that a oem knob you got there?

10. 09-11-2005 10:39 AM #10

Can't wait to see it on thursday.

11. 09-11-2005 02:14 PM #11
      now if i only knew this beforehand
      thanks.

12. 09-11-2005 02:18 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by snaprhead7 »
      That seems really costly for just a shift knob and a boot.

yeah i agree, it came out to be a tad bit expensive.. but i was willing to do anything just to switch the base knob.. and i liked the new one so much.

Quote, originally posted by cwash36 »
      jokr02 nicw write up and is that a oem knob you got there?

yaeh, it's the same one they put into the 'four seasons' cabriolet on the main page.

13. 09-11-2005 04:13 PM #13

Quote, originally posted by jokr02 »
      yeah i agree, it came out to be a tad bit expensive.. but i was willing to do anything just to switch the base knob.. and i liked the new one so much.

Jokr, dont get me wrong, it is nice, and if I had the base model stick, I probably would have done the same for my own sanity. BTW, great write up and post for others dealing with this bane.

14. 09-11-2005 04:26 PM #14
      thank you.

Cars
      2011 335D M-Sport & 2013 Golf R
      09-11-2005 08:43 PM #15
      Looks GREAT. Nice job!

now they need a fix for the terrible Auto shifter. It's terrible! Have never heard of such a fix.

16. 09-12-2005 08:42 AM #16
      Looks great.. I"ve had my same knob on every car I owned so far and I can't decide if Iw ant to move it over or not becuase I like the large round ball that it comes with. I saw this in the same 4 seasons article and I am torn if I should get one or not... I"ve got sport so I knob is a little better stock and I agree with the rest if I had base it would be the first thing to go.

Cars
      2011 S5
      09-28-2007 12:15 AM #17
      wow... paint my paddles... thats actually a great idea!

18. Member
      09-28-2007 09:14 AM #18
      Quote, originally posted by elevine17 »

They are just jealous because they can't get one of these air leather knobs.

http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=2174

2008 A3 2.0T S-line

Cars
      2013 Volt
      09-28-2007 10:50 AM #19
      Quote, originally posted by elevine17 »

You bumped a 2 year old thread for *that*?

20. 09-29-2007 05:54 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by OOOO-A3 »

You bumped a 2 year old thread for *that*?

2012 Q5 2.0T, Ibis White / Black / Prem+ / 19" / Tips