VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

16V G60 - How to

1M views 2K replies 242 participants last post by  mirus 
#1 · (Edited)
ROUND 3.

I decided to make this thread after again getting quite a few PM's from members asking me to do a 16V G60 thread similiar to my 20V G60 Thread.Now my reply was that I had never built a 16V G60 ,I only had the knowledge and know how of a 16V (either 9A or PL) and a G60 engine (PG) and was unable to do a write up.After a while I thought about it and did the research,spoke to the guys that did it and decided I will do a write up.The following are useful links you can use when doing the Build up or you can accomodate all the 16V G60 information into 1 thread like what we did with the 20V G60 thread.

1. Bahn Brenner's own build up process.

#130 ·
Re: 16V G60 - How to (Wizard-of-OD)

specs:
-ABA OBD I block
-9A pistons on ABA rods
-9:1 compression (approx.)
-2L 16V head
-42# injectors
-stage 4 KK supercharger 68mm pulley, 3" outlet
-SNS digi I software (stock cams, 3.5bar FPR, etc.)
-all brackets/welding/machining done by me. including the fuel rail and header.
props to david at KK and danny at SNS for the hook-ups so far.
props to issam for hosting the pics. i don't have the time to hook up a host right now as all my spare time is going toward getting my work visa in the u.s.a.

#132 ·
Re: 16V G60 - How to (OttawaG60)

we'll have to see if i can get it running first...it looks like we're going to be be ridiculously busy at momentum tuning this summer.
all the projects on the schedule are pretty involved and as always...our personal ones will have to take a back seat. i'm going to try my best to have this one running for the CVA spring dust-off in CT.
i have ALOT of work to do!!!

Modified by MA_XXX at 8:29 AM 3-5-2005

#139 ·
Re: 16V G60 - How to (OttawaG60)

hey Wizard of OD
where did you get these pics?
i'm in the middle of doing a cogged belt setup, and am missing some stuff in order to make it work.....
i wish i could use a smaller belt, but the pitch of the toothed belt and sprockets is unlike anything available out on the mkt.

any help much appreciated
david

#141 ·

thank you for the prompt post,
i'm just curious.... what belt are you running, any part#'s .... mine is alot longer... and it is a gates t098.... nothing else matches this....
how many belts did he include with the cogs..... or did he tell you where you could get shorter belts... etc...

this is a pretty unique setup.... looks like just you and I are the only ones running this setup

david

#143 ·

that toothed belt in your setup doesn't look bad.... but there are only maybe 4-5 teeth grabbing the waterpump cog...
mine is alot longer..... i've spent a good month trying to source belts that were in the same specs as the gates t098 belt.... nothing comes close.....
i must have gone through several hundred belts at napa, acme, etc...
so I had to come up with various pullies to make the belt fit properly... but it still didn't work out quite good

take a look at the gates website http://www.gates.com and look at the t098 timing belt... that will give you the specs on my belt.... i'm sure we have the same cogs.....
p/s if you gave me a number on your belt, we could do some further digging
david

#146 ·
Re: 16V G60 - How to (N_TENSETUNING)

Quote, originally posted by N_TENSETUNING »

but who's 16v-g60 with the cogged setup does that belong to?
any more pics of that?

Some guy in Toronto,Jerome would have more knowledge of it than me.I just came across those pictures and I posted what I had
Quote, originally posted by N_TENSETUNING »

so no part #'s on your belt? contitech or gates???

Have not purchased the belt as yet.The VWMS gears have the same tooth pitch as the 16V/20V belts which are the same as the Honda Belts/many other Japanese brands.Take a piece of string and wrap it around your cogs and go into Pepboys/Napa and start searching.
Please post pictures of your gear setup asap
Kinda excited... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#148 ·

Quote, originally posted by Wizard-of-OD »

I really like that setup, except for the amount of wrap (or lack there-of) on the waterpump. Definitely more likely to shear teeth of the belt at high rpm then with more wrap on the pulley. An idler would help out.
Where can the cogged pullies be sourced from?
I'm not so sure about the owner being from Toronto though, the pics are definitely look to be from europe, although the pics are hosted at VWoT..? Only 16vG60's in the GTA that I know of are mine and Marek's (not sure if he still has his).
Edit: Just looked at some more of the engine pics, looks like the car the engine has the MC mounted on the right side, so right hand drive. Definitely not a Toronto car.

Modified by Kaddy at 10:50 PM 3-11-2005

#150 ·

i'm not sure that the trouble of a cogged belt set-up is worth all the effort...if you have the serpentine belt routed properly there shouldn't be any problem with slippage.
of course...if it's being done simply because it's BLING NASTY then alright

#151 ·

i told ya (wizard of OD),
there is no way you will find anything vw or audi that will fit those belts.... the pitch is way off...
believe me ... i spent a good month looking into all of this.
the only way you are going to get the proper belts is to have (sciroccoR) read you off the part#'s off his old belts.
or use the one i'm using... gates t098
i did find industrial belts the proper sizing, but the teeth were not deep enough.... it would shread in a matter of secs.....

d

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.