Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    1. 09-19-2004 07:42 AM #1
      I was wondering if it is legal to alter a plate, Heres why. I just got my BMW 2002 registered here and Connecticut and decided to get the classic plates.

The problem is it says early AMERICAN. Im thinkging of changing it to say Early Bavarian. Would that be legal. Its not a main part of the plate so I dont think people would care. Regardless, Im keeping the plates because the tax people can only assess my car fo $500 with these plates on.
      Thanks

Cars
      '09 MINI Cooper S; '03 MR2 Spyder; '03 Focus ZX3
      09-19-2004 08:15 AM #2
      I'd look at it this way - you can do it until someone tells you that you can't. And I really don't think it would be something they would hassle you about. It's not the name of the state, or any of the number/letters so you aren't affecting the ability to ID your car in anyway.

>8^)
      ER

P.S.: Post more pictures of the car.

3. 09-19-2004 08:52 AM #3
      That actually isn't my car, it just matched what I was trying to do

4. Banned
      09-19-2004 08:55 AM #4
      I doubt a cop would even ever notice, none-the-less care enough to make a stink about it. It's a cool idea - good luck!

5. 09-19-2004 09:10 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by Peloton25 »
      I'd look at it this way - you can do it until someone tells you that you can't. And I really don't think it would be something they would hassle you about. It's not the name of the state, or any of the number/letters so you aren't affecting the ability to ID your car in anyway.

>8^)
      ER

P.S.: Post more pictures of the car.

Exactly...everything is legal until you get caught.
      ok heres the ting take a corner at 35 or 45racing a ***** had a blow out sled into the crub hit 2 fents 2 burshes 4 brick and a trash can but anywho now I have a load cam knock it sounds like but I'm not sure my oil pan may have got pushed back alittle so I dont know if my oil pump got damgaed and itsn't get oil to the top of the cams does anyone have any ideas what else it could be and yea I spanked the little rice hatch back

6. 09-19-2004 11:06 AM #6
      It is illegeal. Probably a cop wouldn't notice or care, but you give a cop probable cause to pull you over. Lets say a cop sees you come out of a bar, you just had 1 beer. You drive just fine, but the cop sees the modified plate. Ta-da!!! A field sobriety test in your future.

When I lived in MD, a person got ticketed because she put an Apple logo sticker on her plate. In FL a person got ticketed because the license plate frame covered the the letters at the bottom of the plate. He fought it and lost, because it is illegal to obsure any part of the plate, but I didn't see anybody ditching their frames.

7. 09-19-2004 11:10 AM #7
      here in NY, the bottom part of the plates says "The Empire State".... most license frames will cover this, or part of this. Cops have been given tickets left and right for covering that. A lady was in the news the other day complaining that her framce only covered 1/8 of that sentence and she got a ticket.
      I've heard the same from people who decided to put a smaller sticker too.
      Not sure where you are, but here, i'm sure we would get in trouble.

8. 09-19-2004 11:11 AM #8
      here in TX, you will get a ticket if you cover, or alter any part of the writing on your plate.

Cars
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      09-19-2004 11:30 AM #9
      I've seen a few guys come through the shop in porsche 356's that have put PCA badges over that silly antique car graphic and they've not had trouble. You could put a roundel over the car and get a thick stainless or black plate frame and cover it as best you can without being too obvious.
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

09-19-2004 12:00 PM #10
      I think it's just a roll of the dice. I've seen trucks here in Texas that have plates that are so banged up from trailers missing the ball that only the first and last number/letter can be read. On the other hand I've also seen a dealer installed license plate bracket that only covered maybe 1/4" of the edge of the plate get an 80yr. old woman pulled over in her new Lexus.

09-19-2004 01:28 PM #11
      do it with a nice sticker
      (a sign guy should be able to replicat the color/ size/ font

if you get pulled for it, just simply remove the sticker

12. 09-19-2004 01:36 PM #12
      If you put a sticker, its not realy a frame so unless somebody is realy looking at it I doubt they would even notice

13. 09-19-2004 04:53 PM #13
      seems unlikely that it would matter, since the slogans/logos are not part of the identification function of the license plate... as long as the color scheme, state name and numbers are unaltered, it should not matter... those little mottos are just advertising, in a manner of speaking....

perhaps slightly related idea....many folks in states that require front & rear plates often go without the front plate, and I don't get the sense that cops are ticketing such folks at a very high rate.... in Ohio, we require 2 plates, but I'd guess that 20-30% of cars don't have the front plate

Cars
      '91 Jetta GLI, '68 Beetle 'vert, '79 Cutlass Supreme
      09-20-2004 12:15 AM #14
      Quote, originally posted by gomer »
      here in NY, the bottom part of the plates says "The Empire State".... most license frames will cover this, or part of this. Cops have been given tickets left and right for covering that. A lady was in the news the other day complaining that her framce only covered 1/8 of that sentence and she got a ticket.
      I've heard the same from people who decided to put a smaller sticker too.
      Not sure where you are, but here, i'm sure we would get in trouble.

Cops over there seem to be a real bitch to deal with, I remember someone getting a ticket for "faded registration sticker" Umm, wouldnt that be the states fault for making them so they fade? And the mayor actually supported the cop giving the ticket

Usually those things can be a fix it ticket, like running a euro plate or illegal tint. I doubt a cop would give you a problem, if he did he'd probably tell you to remove it. Here in NY I've seen old plate so rusted most of the numbers aren't visible, plus those tinted covers, etc. I havent had a front plate in 4 years, no problems. Cops will only hassle you for stuff like that if they want a reason to pull you over, I've found that out a few times.