Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

11-17-2003 11:38 PM #1
      I've had a few people tell me this and I don't know whether this is true or not.

I heard that chocolate milk in the carton (the kind you buy in the school cafeteria for instance) is made with slightly off or past due date milk. Rather than throw it out at the company, they mix it with chocolate and it's impossible to taste. They save milk this way. Not totally sour milk mind you, just the stuff that's slightly off, or a little past due date.

Anyone else confirm or deny this?

2. 11-18-2003 07:44 AM #2
      I have no proof that it doesn't happen but it just doesn't make sense.

Look how huge the dairy industry is... there probably isn't a whole lot of variation in the consumption of milk throught the year and from year to year.

They probably top out production right at the demand level and don't have a whole lot of old milk sitting around.

Cars
      B7 Ibis White
      11-18-2003 09:21 AM #3
      I've had sour milk in my fridge before and I'd know if the chocolate milk was sour, trust me. I've had chocolate milk in my fridge for a week or so, that means the milk used would be several weeks past rotten. No way.

Modified by LONGBEACH24 at 12:08 PM 11-18-2003

4. 11-18-2003 10:23 AM #4
      No it's not made from sour milk....

When a cow is sitting on the milking machine all day for their whole life, it gets a little tiring...the machine eventually wears down on the utters and they become sore and dried out...soon the sores break open and some wuss and blood gets into the milk making it slightly pink. The dairy farmers of course pasturize all milk which kills any bacteria in it or viruses or anything from the blood and the milk itself making it safe to drink.

This is the milk that they can add chocolate too and package as chocolate milk. They can't sell sour milk are you crazy, they wan't to sell their milk not let it sit around.

11-18-2003 11:14 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by Candy White 1.ight »
      When a cow is sitting on the milking machine all day for their whole life, it gets a little tiring...the machine eventually wears down on the utters and they become sore and dried out...soon the sores break open and some wuss and blood gets into the milk making it slightly pink. The dairy farmers of course pasturize all milk which kills any bacteria in it or viruses or anything from the blood and the milk itself making it safe to drink.

Heard of this before also. Hope it's not true. That is just gross. Worse than sour milk if you ask me. One reason I haven't had chocolate milk in a long time. Unless I make it myself with Nestle Quik.

2011 Reflex Silver CC Sport - 4300k HID's, DRL's off, 35% Tint, Vag-Com tweaks, Footwell lights, LED interior lights, debadged, extra bag hook, euro switch, rear fogs, fog lights retrofit LINK, clear turns.

CC Windows w/key fob & Rain Closing - LINK

Cars
      SMC/CRV
      11-18-2003 11:26 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by Candy White 1.ight »
      No it's not made from sour milk....

exactly.

7. 11-19-2003 01:51 AM #7
      Neither story is true.... snopes to the rescue again!

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chocmilk.htm

8. Banned
      11-20-2003 10:07 AM #8
      My friend works at a local dairy and said that they use the milk that gets burnt? I don't know where in the process it would get burnt, but supposedly, the chocolate flavor hides it.

9. 11-20-2003 01:42 PM #9
      I love gross stories!!!!But the blood isan urban legand

Quote, originally posted by Snopes.com »
      Claim: Chocolate milk is made from "regular" milk rejected for containing too much cow's blood.

Examples:

[Collected on the Internet, 2001]
      When cows are milked, sometimes there is a great deal of blood that comes out along with the milk. This tainted milk is non-salable, except to the makers of pre-packaged chocolate milk, since the cocoa hides the blood. And chocolate milk makers get the milk at quite a bargain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Collected on the Internet, 2001]

A co-worker recently told me that she had heard Nescafe Blend 43 instant coffee was somehow made with cow's blood. The rumour applied only to this blend of Nescafe. I checked the ingredients list, and it reads simply, "coffee beans".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Collected on the Internet, 2000]

I was drinking a chocolate "Milk Chug" made by Creamland when my friend asks "Is that Creamland chocolate milk?". I said yes and he responded "I am not sure if this is true, well,of course its not, but I heard it from my brother". He goes on to say that Creamland's chocolate milk has cow blood in it. Here is the reasoning:

To save money from wasted milk when a cow's utter begins to bleed, instead of throwing the bloody milk away, they add chocolate to it to disguise the taste and color. This way, no milk goes to waste . . . efficiency.

Variations: Sometimes particular dairies or specific dark-colored, milk-based beverages are named.

Origins: The belief that yucky things lurk in the depths of dark-colored liquids is a widespread food fear. Blood is generally considered icky, so schoolchildren regularly horrify each other with whispered claims that the milk used in chocolate milk is just swimming with the stuff. Now that prepared coffee beverages are making it to the supermarket shelves we're seeing this particular tale expand to include those products, thereby broadening the age range of this rumor's audience.

(The belief that cow's blood is to be scrupulously avoided at all costs is suspended in our dealings with meat products. No one recoils in horror at the thought that a steak or a hamburger contains cow's blood -- our beef with ingesting blood apparently stops at the fork.)

In the U.S.A., the Food and Drug Administration oversees the safety of food products. Stringent standards have been established for all milk destined for consumers, including the chocolate variety. It is telling that this agency's specifications contain no allowances for the use of blood-contaminated milk. Milk products (and other foodstuffs) that do not meet the agency's criteria do not gain FDA approval and thus cannot be sold to consumers.

In other words, the "cow's blood in the chocolate milk" story doesn't fly any better than a cow would.

Barbara "if cows could fly, the holding pattern over the Chicago Stockyards would rival O'Hare" Mikkelson

Last updated: 5 March 2001

The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chocmilk.htm

10. 11-20-2003 02:09 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by nate1.8t »
      Neither story is true.... snopes to the rescue again!

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chocmilk.htm

First place I go when I hear nasty aZZ stories.